August 28, 2014, 01:29:10 AM

Author Topic: Daytime Event Shooting  (Read 5069 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Daytime Event Shooting
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »
Does anybody here ever have to shoot events during the day, such as between 10am and 3pm?  I did yesterday and due to the sun, I missed so many potentially great shots, taken otherwise in proper lighting (morning or evening).  Does this frustrate anyone?  Sorry I'm just venting :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Daytime Event Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
Are you able to post some examples? If so, maybe forum members could offer input and advice on how to deal with similar situations in future.

Tasteful use of fill flash springs to mind!

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »

Yep, high contrast scenes, harsh light, speckling shade under trees, etc. -- it's quite a challenge. I've been doing it a lot lately. My best advice is lowered expectations, resourcefulness and lots of post-processing.

Different types of events can have different challenges. In situations where you have some control, you can ask people to move for optimal lighting/background and such. Sometimes you can move objects, most time not. If you want strictly candid shots, you're at the absolute mercy of the elements most of the time. Often it's best to watch the overall event and see where the best setting is -- then set up there and use that as your little "studio." That can take some discipline when a lot is going on all over the place.

If you can pose people, bring along a simple umbrella. Lots of color in an umbrella can be used both as sunshield and background color. A light/gray umbrella can be used for simply diffusing the light uniformly.

Generally, when doing scenes, there's little choice but eval metering. If I'm going for head shots, I'll use spot metering and do as much as I can to fill the frame with the person's head. I also tend to slightly underexpose and use selected fill light in post. Oh, and don't forget a lens hood.

Someone mentioned fill flash. That's always an option in the right situation. I tend to use it rarely -- once or twice in an 800-shot event a couple of weeks ago.

If you have control of time, use it. Where events go on all day, get there early and use better light, or be there late. Sometimes, there isn't a choice -- the July 4 parade here on Wednesday starts at noon. Shooting the vehicles in the parade on the street, I'll need a polarizing filter against glare. To get the people on the sidelines, that filter will just cut down my shutter speed. It's all compromise.

As I said in the beginning, lowered expectations can alleviate some of the frustrations.

Best to remember the old "Dirty Harry" movie advice -- a man's gotta know his limitations.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »
Thank you very much guys.  Yes I can also post some photos.  I am really not an event photographer; that is something I've just recently gotten into.  Heck even weddings were more controlled than an outdoor balloon festival all day.  I like your suggestions a lot distant.star.  I will read through your post many times.  Fill flash is a good option, but limited where I was.  Outdoor still shots/controlled shots, sure, but this was rapid movement rapid fire from 12-2pm mostly!  Ouch!  Again, thanks.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
I missed so many potentially great shots, taken otherwise in proper lighting (morning or evening).

... highlight recovery +100, shadows +100 :-) .. and you can have a couple of assistants swarm around you with flashes and reflectors - I'm always amazed by the big effort if I see film crews setting up the light for daytime shooting.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
I missed so many potentially great shots, taken otherwise in proper lighting (morning or evening).

... highlight recovery +100, shadows +100 :-) .. and you can have a couple of assistants swarm around you with flashes and reflectors - I'm always amazed by the big effort if I see film crews setting up the light for daytime shooting.

100's not high enough :)  If only I were good enough to have those assistants following me around. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
pretty much essential to have an assistant with an off camera flash setup maybe 2 or 3 flashes in a ganglight setup through an umbrella. depends on how much power you need really
APS-H Fanboy

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »
pretty much essential to have an assistant with an off camera flash setup maybe 2 or 3 flashes in a ganglight setup through an umbrella. depends on how much power you need really

I agree.  But I only do 2-3 events/year, most of my other stuff is sports and portraits.  So far this year I've covered a parade and then this festival.  Next weekend I'm covering a fireworks event.  And that'll be it until football and volleyball season.  I don't even do weddings anymore, so I have no assistant.  It was tough.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »
here's an option if you absolutly have to go it alone :P

Human Light Suit: Burning Man 2010
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
I use a light stick with 3 flash heads, hand held plus one on the shoe, all PW fired.

HSS is no problem - at iso50 to reduce the impact of the ambient

Can shoot 1 handed as shutter speed will be about 1/4000.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
Oh I love this board.  You guys crack me up.  I'm not upset about the event anymore thanks to that video, oh man was that a good one!  :P
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
Oh I love this board.  You guys crack me up.  I'm not upset about the event anymore thanks to that video, oh man was that a good one!  :P

glad you liked it :)

now you just need a wheel barrow some batteries and soft boxes.... :P
APS-H Fanboy

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

Brian, I had no idea you could be so subtle!

I use a light stick with 3 flash heads, hand held plus one on the shoe, all PW fired.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:43 AM »

Brian, I had no idea you could be so subtle!

:D

My lightsaber is very, very useful at wedding receptions too . Here is an example of it being used in a disco, 2 flash pointing up for bounce, 1 down for hairlight, one onshoe for catchlight

Indoors, in the dark I will shoot at 1/160- 1/250, f/5.6 or f/8, iso 200/400

Not a good portrait - but shows how it can be used in a tight space - 50 f/1.4 on 1D4 - not cropped. Single flash on shoe does not give as good light as this from 4/5ft. The light stick is held some 3-4 ft above my head.

- The big bouce means I get some local ambient whilst taking shots at low iso
- shadow is minimum as bounced light source is from above the people, whereas onshoe bouce means shadow from close objects

The onshoe is just a tickle so the local people dont get flash blinded

Camera Model   Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Shooting Date/Time   30/06/2012 00:05:48
Shooting Mode   Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed )   1/160
Av( Aperture Value )   5.6
Metering Mode   Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed   400
Auto ISO Speed   OFF
Lens   EF50mm f/1.4 USM
Focal Length   50.0mm
Flash   On
Flash Type   External E-TTL
Flash Exposure Compensation   -1/3
AF Mode   AI Servo AF
Drive Mode   Low-speed continuous shooting
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:05:47 AM by briansquibb »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
Does anybody here ever have to shoot events during the day, such as between 10am and 3pm?  I did yesterday and due to the sun, I missed so many potentially great shots, taken otherwise in proper lighting (morning or evening).  Does this frustrate anyone?  Sorry I'm just venting :)

Get a good flash for filling in shadows, And post-process the RAW's to your tastes.

If there is any posed photos during the event, get a scrim and use it to soften the light above there head. It will get a basic Rembrandt light and looks great. Much simpler than multiple flash setups.