April 16, 2014, 09:15:26 PM

Author Topic: FF advise (mainly stills)  (Read 7729 times)

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: FF advise (mainly stills)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »
Fyi: In Germany, even good photo stores have it a little below €1800. It's good to buy your gear at a local store, because they record your purchases and will treat you accordingly in the future. Having said that, for every real defect, they'll send it to Canon anyway - so if you have a Canon service center around the corner like me in Berlin, you can carry a broken camera or lens there right away and save time.

I live in Slovakia so nearest good service is in Vienna (as far as I know). Only one shop here has direct service there. Other shops/purchases has one service "center" - but I haven't heard anything good about it - they have monopol on Canon stuff here. I'll check also some German shops.

Do you know how it is with EU/international warranty period ?
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:05 AM »
Do you know how it is with EU/international warranty period ?

Canon doesn't seem to give any extended warranty like e.g. Tamron, so basically you're getting the eu-wide standard warranty specified in 1999/44/EG (I'm not a lawyer, just looked it up again): during the first 6 month they have to prove a warranty case it's your fault, the time up to 2 years it's the other way around. Some shops offer a warranty extension, if that's what you want.

Since the warranty is by the shop that sold you the gear, you have to ask if you can directly give a warranty case to any Canon service (the answer will most likely be yes, because as I wrote that's where they'll send it to anyway). More and more people in the European Union are shopping in other EU countries if the price is lower, just to be sure to ask the dealer about warranty arrangements. Or just buy it on Amazon, bankrupting yo friendly ol' local shop around the corner :-p

http://www.amazon.de/Canon-Mark-SLR-Digitalkamera-Megapixel-Geh%C3%A4use/dp/B001G7PBIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341223128&sr=8-1

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »
Hi all,

I'm currently 450D owner and I think that after 4 years it's time to upgrade. I'm mainly shooting portraits / street / gigs / DJs / low light / strobist.

My current gear ready for FF:
I already have 3 primes: EF 28 f/1.8 USM, EF 40 f/2.8 STM and 85 /f1.8 USM. Flash: 430EX II and triggers Cactus V4 and Pixel Kings for TTL. I also have Vivitar 285HV.

My friends can borrow me EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM and EF 24-70 f/2.8 L USM - so zoom is not a problem when needed.

My options:
1.) buy 5D classic - I've read a lot of posts here and there - it has a really good reputation in terms of color and image quality even nowdays. AF is old but 5D Mk II has the same so no difference - when I need I just attach 430EX II for AF assist. Really important question is: how it is at ISO 1600 and 3200 ? I'm using my 450D at 1600 and do some post to correct noise with good results. I'm fine with 12 Mpx. Also used price is around 600 Euro.

2.) buy 5D Mk II - I'm sure it's a great camera. I've shot with it on one Canon event and was pleased even with photos at ISO 3200 and ocasionally at 6400 (always depends on actual situation). I know what this cam is capable of in terms of both stills and video. AFMA is a great feature becasue I'm a prime shooter. AF same as 5D as I mentioned before. There is also a possibility to hook it with Magic Lantern. As I've said before I'm fine with 12 Mpx.

3.) buy 5D and rent 5D Mk II when needed - until 5D Mk III price drops to affordable level...or some lower specd FF body will be announced.

My preferences and question for you:
I really want to upgrade straight to 5D Mk III, but the price is ridicolous (at least now). It has all I need/want from camera. I also want to keep the new cam for at least another 4 years (so I think that buying 5D Mk II is not so wise decision - reason is obvious = price). So what I'm really looking for now is your suggestion for the best temporary setup. What do you think ?

Thanks in advance  :)

As someone who use's the 5Dc alot, I can say its IQ is still better than any APS-C camera canon makes. You will see a huge difference jumping to FF from crop.

Its ISO performance is still good, I've used all of its ISO settings with good results. Its H level or 3200 ISO is a bit limiting but still better than my 7D.

You can find them around 700$ on the used market, but try to get a body that was a back-up unit and make sure the mirror fix has been completed.

You can use it until you have the dough for the mk3, then sell the 5Dc for almost what you payed for it. You could buy two 5Dc's for the price of one MK2 if your shooting all primes. (which I also do)

Even better, you can buy the EG-S screen to see DOF thinner that 2.8. An advantage that the MK3 doesnt even have.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

RLPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
You could buy two 5Dc's for the price of one MK2 if your shooting all primes. (which I also do)
If you use Canon's tilt-shift primes, you need Live View.  Shooting non-Canon primes can be done with the viewfinder if you have an adapter with an AF chip, but this shooting benefits from Live View, too.  I am under the impression the 5Dc does not have Live View.

This advise was for the OP who has all primes and would benefit greatly of using two primes on two bodies. If your needs are different, you could start a thread if you'd like.
24LII - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com

RLPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
This advise was for the OP who has all primes and would benefit greatly of using two primes on two bodies. If your needs are different, you could start a thread if you'd like.
If the OP shoots portraits using Live View, as I and others sometimes do, he may use Live View.  therefore my post has relevance to the OP's intended use of the camera.  The 5D does not offer this functionality.  If you want to be defensive, perhaps you can start a separate thread on that.

Of course, because shooting with $1000+ Tilt-shift primes in live-view for street photography is the hot-thing right now.  ::)
24LII - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
If the OP shoots portraits using Live View, as I and others sometimes do, he may use Live View.  therefore my post has relevance to the OP's intended use of the camera.  The 5D does not offer this functionality.  If you want to be defensive, perhaps you can start a separate thread on that.

Or you could read his original post.  Streets, portraits, concerts, low-light.  How is a tilt-shift lens at max ap f/3.5 going to be better than a 24 f/1.4?  The 24 f/1.4L is cheaper and suits his needs more.  A TS lens is for landscape photography and architectural shots, a specialty lens.  For his wide variety of shots, the 24mm is hands down way better than the TS lens.  So, we ARE going off what the OP needs.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »

Or you could read his original post.  Streets, portraits, concerts, low-light.  How is a tilt-shift lens at max ap f/3.5 going to be better than a 24 f/1.4?  The 24 f/1.4L is cheaper and suits his needs more.  A TS lens is for landscape photography and architectural shots, a specialty lens.  For his wide variety of shots, the 24mm is hands down way better than the TS lens.  So, we ARE going off what the OP needs.

*Facepalm
24LII - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
Hey ! Chill out  :D

I'm mainly using viewfinder but sometimes (I do landscapes now and then, manual focus) I'm using Live View - so this is really good feature for me. Replacable focusing screens are good - I hope my manual Pentacon 135 f/2.8 (15 aperture blades) will arrive soon  :)

In my case - TS lenses are not something I would buy - maybe rent, but I doubt it. I would rather upgrade my current 28 f/1.8 USM to 24 f/1.4 L USM.

...so, I will definitely rent 5D Mk II for weekend and try everything out. My friend has wedding at the beginning of september - so maybe this will be a good event to check it (I wont be official photog).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:44:35 PM by mathino »
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
I'm using Live View - so this is really good feature for me.

Then you'll love Magic Lantern's live view options on the 5d2 (focus peaking, zebras, other exposure guides, s/w mode, multiple display profiles, ...)!

crasher8

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
You can get a 5Dmk 2 for 1400 on CLP

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
You can get a 5Dmk 2 for 1400 on CLP

Thanks for info, Ill check if there is any option for Europe (I live in Slovakia).  :)

EDIT: No such great deals here. We even dont have a refurb store. It is really starting to piss me off. In U.S. 5D Mk III goes for 3500 USD (= 2780 Eur) body only - here ? 3100 Eur (= 3900 USD). 5D Mk II in U.S. - 2200 USD (= 1750 Eur), here 1919 Eur (= 2415 USD). No deals, no rabate programs...just stupid moneybacks (ofc not for camera bodies).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:25:22 PM by mathino »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »
I've seen tons of pics made with 5D Mk II at 3200+ ISO with great results (with NR for sure) - I'd be really happy with that. And having warranty is also great if something fails.

It's funny how reading reviews and seeing established pros or well-off people buy the 5d3 will engineer you into thinking only the latest and greatest is able to take good pictures, isn't it :-p ?

Half a year ago the 5d2 (except for the af) was famed in Canon-land and had the best non-1d Canon sensor on the planet ... and in the tutorial books and videos I see many pros using the 5d2 for excellent results instead of the chunkier 1d, so you and I should be ok, too :-)

Quote from: mathino link=topic=7741.msg141634#msg141634
Problem is that new 5D Mk II goes here for 1919 Euro - so I need to wait a little longer. I want to buy it at specific store because they have service in Vienna - every other store has one service center which doesn't have good reputation (they "managed" to scratch mirror and sensor).

Fyi: In Germany, even good photo stores have it a little below €1800. It's good to buy your gear at a local store, because they record your purchases and will treat you accordingly in the future. Having said that, for every real defect, they'll send it to Canon anyway - so if you have a Canon service center around the corner like me in Berlin, you can carry a broken camera or lens there right away and save time.
the 5D2 still produces great images thats why i never sold mine they provide a very solid side by side option with the mk3 the biggest pain in the arse is the image review is different bewteen the 2 it gets frustrating i hope a firmware fix to enable image review zooming using the top right buttons instead of the wheel comes soon for the mk3
APS-H Fanboy

Mistah.vega

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »
You may want to check out the 7D, I am a 5DMK2 owner. I just picked up the the 7D and I like it a lot, I find myself using it more than the 5DMK2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 03:42:07 AM »
You may want to check out the 7D, I am a 5DMK2 owner. I just picked up the the 7D and I like it a lot, I find myself using it more than the 5DMK2.

I had 7D for weekend (borrowed from my friend). It's a great cam, great AF, FPS is a nice bonus - and ofc the new firmware v2. But I want to go FF because of ISO and I want my 28 f/1.8  to be 28  ;)

n0iZe

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
I'd choose the 1Ds MkII, even over the 5D MkII, but it all boils down to what you shoot. In fact I did choose the 1Ds MkII, but I rarely go over ISO400, so the worse ISO performance isn't a problem for me.

That said, if you would be satisfied with the 5Dc, the 1Ds MkII is better than it in pretty much all areas.

The issue with going 1-series is that you don't want to go back to "prosumer" cameras anymore...

I don't find the ISO performance of the 1Ds Mark II as troubling as you say there.

I have also upgraded from a 450D to a 1Ds Mark II. At first I wanted it as a temporary camera, to get used to shooting full frame, weight etc. However, now it has a place in my heart and I know that I won't be able to kick it out of there. When compared, the 1Ds Mark II does of course kick the 450D's ass - that's the way it should be, right?

However, there are some points you have to live with if you go for the 1Ds Mark II:
- ISO, AF, MODE (all on the left of the top side) are pretty hard to setup - you'll need two hands
- Screen: it's pretty crappy. You need the feeling for the exposure (or stick with what the 1Ds Mark II tells you), because you really do not want to judge shots and their exposure from that small, reflecting display
- All the buttons and combinations: you'll have quite a time to figure out how to zoom in and move the magnifier in the picture. At least it took me some time, maybe it's just my stupidity.

Other than that rest assured it's even though discontinued a top tier camera which is capable of doing excellent shots. Here's my favorite shot (not retouched but sadly JPG only, I'll upload the RAW full size shot if someone's interested) I did with the 1Ds Mark II and the 16-35mm in a church:

If you want the camera to shoot and don't care about fancy menus, fast switching of ISO and screen, this one is for you.
If you can't live without these things, then get yourself a 5D Mark II.

Of course the camera has many pro points, but I won't take the time to list those as well. Either one is able to live with the negative points or one shall get a different camera.

By the way: I bought my 1Ds Mark II used for only $1300 at a local store with 1 year warranty. Battery is still amazing, I rarely have to charge it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »