Gear Talk > Technical Support

CAMERA SETTING for Firework - Your thoughts???

(1/9) > >>

Dylan777:
I have never try taking picture of firework before and would like to give it a try this year.

I went through the 5D III manual last night, “B” mode seems to be a good choice.

What about you guys? How do you set your camera? Shutter & aperture etc?

Happy July 4th and be safe.
Dylan

TrumpetPower!:
Bulb is waaaaaay too long. You want an exposure in the range of a few to several seconds. Just as with lightning and with flash, aperture controls exposure; shutter speed controls the length of the tracks. Base ISO is good.

The challenge for exposure with fireworks comes when you try to shoot more than just the fireworks themselves, like including upturned faces or the city skyline. There's even going to be a full moon low in the sky on the Fourth...if you can shoot the moon and the fireworks, fantastic, but good luck getting the exposure right....

Cheers,

b&

TC1006:
Mark Wallace from AdoramaTV has great video for shooting fireworks. He recommends the following:

Use Tripod
Use Cable Release
Manual or Bulb Mode
Aperture - f10 (start from there and play with it).
Manual Focus (Just shy of Infinity)
ISO 100

I have used these before and got great results. Good Luck.

awinphoto:
I've done it sucessfully....  The urge is to have long tripod exposures such as 30 seconds, but keep in mind each individual burst of light from the fireworks, over time in the same area, will blow out your highlights...  I've found 8 second exposures pretty good...  captures good highlights... depending on the pace of the fireworks, you may get a lot or 1-2 bursts...  If you are good, have the tripod locked down, and shoot a good base shot, you can with photoshop easily use a blend mode and bring in certain bursts you really like for a series of shots to make a really cool effect...  Also... aperture... 5.6-8.... at that distance, most everything will be in focus anyways...  Cable release is a good idea but at this length of exposure, camera shake from the pressing of the shutter will be minimal at best, lastly, low iso... 100-200... 

Bob Howland:

--- Quote from: TC1006 on July 02, 2012, 10:17:36 AM ---Mark Wallace from AdoramaTV has great video for shooting fireworks. He recommends the following:

Use Tripod
Use Cable Release
Manual or Bulb Mode
Aperture - f10 (start from there and play with it).
Manual Focus (Just shy of Infinity)
ISO 100

I have used these before and got great results. Good Luck.

--- End quote ---

I tend to use f5/6 to f/8 instead. One think I try to exclude are the lights from the rockets going vertical. I just want to get the burst when they reach altitude. That means that I use Bulb exclusively.

Another point is that the best pictures of fireworks are also pictures of a pretty landscape lit by fireworks. That means that you will probably have to be further back and higher, maybe a lot higher, than you might think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version