April 21, 2014, 04:01:27 AM

Author Topic: Patent: Canon EF 35 f/1.4L II  (Read 12424 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: Canon EF 35 f/1.4L II
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
Okay, I've hung around here long enough and learned great amounts and been entertained at the same time. Can someone point me in the direction of a post (I've searched) or answer me this:
How exactly do you read these patents when they come out? I see the aperture and the film plane, but what about the focal length? Is it apurture-FP? Is it the same basic concept in all modern lenses?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob, go to this site  http://www4.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/Tokujitu/tjsogodben.ipdl?N0000=115

In put code A, and the patent number.

The site is very slow, but eventually, there will be a english translation of each section.  sometimes it can take a very long time to read them all.

you will see some blue text along the top, this contains links to different sections of the patent
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:05:51 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
The current version is 14 years old and could benefit from Canon's new optical formulas, having used a couple of copies for various shoots, wide-open sharpness definitely has room for improvement especially in the corners.

Wide open corner sharpess on wide angle lens, LOL.

Please show me an example photo where the entire wide angle fov is OOF except the perspective distorted corner is in focus, I'm curious to see it.

Weather sealing, purple/green halo, yes.
Wide open corner? Not really. Take a look at the pathetic corner sharpess of 24L II wide open.

If you are expecting that, you are using it wrong.

Perhaps I typed it wrong, but saying I'm using it wrong is a bit of a stretch.  Wide-open sharpness and overall corner sharpness are areas that can be improved upon.  Happy now?

Also, if you venture outside the world of Canon, there are examples of optics that have stellar corner performance, I'll let you figure where those can be found....
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

nicopol

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:30 AM »
Nobody here seemed to have mentioned the Bokeh Quality before.

The 35L has an excellent Bokeh wide open. But even at f1.8 to 2.0 you can see the circles getting shaped into an actagon.
That I would likely see improved.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 02:08:41 AM »
Nobody here seemed to have mentioned the Bokeh Quality before.

The 35L has an excellent Bokeh wide open. But even at f1.8 to 2.0 you can see the circles getting shaped into an actagon.
That I would likely see improved.
got some samples of this?
APS-H Fanboy

ddhacor

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 02:40:28 AM »
Spokane and Neuroanatomist, thanks for the info!

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
i seriously want to see a EF 35mm F1.8 USM form Canon, i can never afford the 35L.

or either Sigma to release a 35mm F1.4 that fits FF for a lower price

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
There isn't much room for improvement on the current version of this lens. Although Canon has been coming out with some lenses lately that are close optical perfection. I would be interested in trying this new lens out!
Updating it is a good idea as well as giving it the L gasket to weatherproof it more. Putting Circular aperture blades as should be standard practice in all L lenses imo. Shooting outdoors its always peace of mind when you dont need to worry about rain or dust getting in between lens and body.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:54:43 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
The current version is 14 years old and could benefit from Canon's new optical formulas, having used a couple of copies for various shoots, wide-open sharpness definitely has room for improvement especially in the corners.

Wide open corner sharpess on wide angle lens, LOL.

Please show me an example photo where the entire wide angle fov is OOF except the perspective distorted corner is in focus, I'm curious to see it.

Weather sealing, purple/green halo, yes.
Wide open corner? Not really. Take a look at the pathetic corner sharpess of 24L II wide open.

If you are expecting that, you are using it wrong.
Haha, pathetic corner sharpness for those who shoot what at F1.4 where thats a problem? Its an art lens at the focal length, it adds mystery to images. The other time to shoot f1.4 would be shooting stars at night in which case perfect. I guess we all "focus" on different things.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »
dammit I was just about to buy a 35L this week! now I dont know what to do :(

maybe I should get the shorty 40 and the siggy 120-300 while i wait for this to come out
Wicked, i don't see any comparison to those other lens options. Although the 40 2.8 is pretty sweet and if you don't shoot below F2.8 If it were my decision I'd go that route. Are you just trying to get that wad of cash outta your pocket? When the new 35L does arrive rob a bank! LOL

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:55:10 PM by Bosman »

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »
Sigh, not everyone shoots every 35mm shot at f1.4, if one's only purpose for purchasing this lens is to obliterate the background on every shot, that's certainly your prerogative but myself and many others want to the use the lens in more than that 1 limited scenario.  Corner sharpness is important to many, myself included but I won't discount those that find it unimportant as "using it wrong".  In addition to those "artistic" shots, I would use this lens to shoot low light street scenes where I would in many cases want corner to corner sharpness.  One eyelash in focus is not the be all end all of artistic composition....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:31:26 PM by Stone »
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
There isn't much room for improvement on the current version of this lens.

Um, vignetting? While usually easily corrected, on the 35L it seems to be so heavy when wide open that it could affect iq or the ability to adjust exposure in post.

Come on Canon, lets get a date and price announced...and please be reasonable on the price increase.

If they've got the patent, does this mean the lens is nearly ready for manufacturing?

To me a patent is about protecting ip, and it might be a very long way to convert this into a real product. And Canon doesn't have problems with "announcing" dates, it's the actual delivery that seems to be more complicated :-p

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
dammit I was just about to buy a 35L this week! now I dont know what to do :(

maybe I should get the shorty 40 and the siggy 120-300 while i wait for this to come out
Wicked, i don't see any comparison to those other lens options. Although the 40 2.8 is pretty sweet and if you don't shoot below F2.8 If it were my decision I'd go that route. Are you just trying to get that wad of cash outta your pocket? When the new 35L does arrive rob a bank! LOL

lol no they are just lenses I want, I havent bought one for a while (well i got a 20mm voigtlander last week)
but being a gear junkie is a tough habit to feed :P i love to shoot wildlife but dont make money from it and dont get to do it so often so getting finance approval from the boss to buy the 120-300 siggy is hard especially when she see the size of it and determines she will never want to shoot with it.

I almost never use my 70-200 these days since the 85 is so much better I should sell it but since i bought it retial in australia and paid heaps for it I would take a fair loss on it :(

The 35L will be a wedding lens which i'll pair with the 85, since my wife isnt really a prime fan she can stick with shooting zooms and i'll use the 35 and the 85 should work well.
APS-H Fanboy

kpk1

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:35 AM »
I want that bad the new 35/1.4 II. There are things that can be improved.
5D2, Sigy 35/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:35 AM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
Um, vignetting? While usually easily corrected, on the 35L it seems to be so heavy when wide open that it could affect iq or the ability to adjust exposure in post.

The corner light fall off of the 24L II is even greater than the 35L but nearly no one would dispute that the 24L II is a great lens.  The lens is what it is.  Most of Canon's fast primes have corner vignetting wide open (24, 35, 50).  Is that a reason not to use any of them?

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
Come on Canon, lets get a date and price announced...and please be reasonable on the price increase.

If they've got the patent, does this mean the lens is nearly ready for manufacturing?

To me a patent is about protecting ip, and it might be a very long way to convert this into a real product. And Canon doesn't have problems with "announcing" dates, it's the actual delivery that seems to be more complicated :-p

The patent itself gives me no reason to get excited for a soon to be released 35L II, it was the CR2 (I think it was  a CR2) announcement from a few months ago that I'm hanging my hat on.  I'm optimistic the Mk II will have weather sealing.  I'm trying to avoid buying any non sealed lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »