Why not just use your eyes?
Because mankind has developed TOOLS of all sorts and kinds from the dawn of civilization ... to AUGMENT the muscles and senses given to us by nature ... in order to achieve goals that would be utterly unattainable with our bare hands, feet and naked eyes.
Cars and all other means of transportation are "augmented feet", communication devices from bush drum to mobile phones are ... "augmented ears and vocal cords" ... glasses, lenses, scopes, night vision devices, X-ray scanners, the hubble telescope ... are all "augmented eyes" - allowing us to see things we could not see or not see as well with our naked eyes.
The same is true for cameras: augmented eyes, augmented human brain-based memory. :-)
We clearly are just about to reach the next stage of image capturing devices:
* Stage 1: cave wall + hands, brushes from plants, organic colors from dirt to blood to ocre to soot
* stage 2: mobile substrates - from rock plates to clay tablets to dried animal skin to canvas to paper, plus again human hands, various painting and carving tools, all sorts of chemical dyes
* stage 3: mobile substrate: silver-halogenide film (and other chemical crap) + optical + mechanical contraptions to capture light/images; hands are augmented to the point that they only need to "press the button". Camera and Kodak do the rest. :-)
* stage 4: mechanical + optical contraptions to capture light. No more substrate required! Incoming photons converted to electrons! Digital revolution!
* stage 5: Optical contraptions still there. Mechanics all gone. Hands? Not required any longer. Not even to "press the button". Voice commands will do nicely. Plus Canon Eye Control Focus v2.0 ... :-)
* stage 6: Optical crap in the form of cumbersome ground glass blocks with extremely limiting features eliminated. Incoming photon stream shaped in any which way - as desired and envisionable by creative human brains. Light shaping and capture using newer technology, bypassing current optical "laws".
* and so on.
So now, Canon and photo industry, be brave, be bold, bring on at least phase #5 and kick-start research into phase #6 to #99! :-)