April 17, 2014, 01:15:24 PM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless Information [CR1]  (Read 16691 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Mirrorless Information [CR1]
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
A bit of information
With Canon’s expected foray into the mirrorless segment just around the corner, a bit more information has started to flow.

Lenses
We’re told the new camera is in fact a new mount, I think most expected this. The camera will launch with at least 2 lenses and an EF adaptor. One lens will be a wide angle “kit” lens as well as a telephoto lens.

No word on whether or not the EF adaptor would also adapt EF-S lenses, though I would hope it did.

It is also suggested that the new primes that Canon has announced and released (24, 28, & 40mm) are the first in a series of small prime lenses meant to work well with EOS EF and the mirrorless camera.

Body
Information about the body itself is pretty vague. It’s still suggested the camera will use the 14mp CMOS G1 X sensor. A “good” ISO range and “average” video performance. A video focused camera could be “in the future”.

EF Lens Adaptor
We have posted a couple of patents in the past about such an adaptor. You can view them here and here.

Northlight has posted a cool little diagram showing the size of the EF adaptor in comparison to the new EF 40 f/2.8 pancake.

cr

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:04:25 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Mirrorless Information [CR1]
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
Re: Canon Mirrorless Information [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
Interested to see what actually comes out...  :) 
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

trulandphoto

• PowerShot G16
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Not sure I understand the point of having the pancake be larger (with adapter) on a mirrorless than it is on a 5D. But then, I'm sure the aim is to sell the lenses with the new mount.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Not sure I understand the point of having the pancake be larger (with adapter) on a mirrorless than it is on a 5D. But then, I'm sure the aim is to sell the lenses with the new mount.
Well, remember that a 5D would still be twice the size of a likely mirrorless camera, so even if the lens sticks out a little more, its still more portable on the mirrorless camera.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
Disappointment... :-[

BTW, Does anyone know what the crop factor would be on the sensor?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:54:14 AM by RLPhoto »
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

RJ_4000

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
I just hope the picture on Northlight is not accurate !
If it is, it looks like one won't be able to mount Leica M compatible lenses on those camera...
Well, I hope they plan an FD adapter though (still have a lot of fun with FD 80-200 4L and FD 85 1.2L with my NEX7).
 ;)
Raoul

Flake

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
The G1X is an amazing little camera, capable of image quality the equal of any crop frame DSLR and that far  behind the 5D MkII, it's easily of commercial quality.  The qualm I have with this mirrorless camera is why would I buy it?  The G1X has a superb lens and any 'EVIL' offering would have to be at least as good to produce similar IQ, will two lenses be enough to tempt buyers away from a fixed lens which performs so well?

So there are the reservations, here's what I'd need to see to make any kind of temptation realistic:

Better autofocus - the achilles heel of the G1X, it's just too slow & basic
Better Flash control - again it's very basic
Decent close focus - because no matter how you try switching between normal & macro is a PITA
Microphone In - probably not a major biggie for many but external mics are as needed as a flash for video
Manual Zoom - I HATE the power zoom ! (I'm it will have this)

I'm sure that the range of lenses will increase and that the whole range will be covered, but I will have to see the focal range covered by the two at launch before I make any decision.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
The G1X is an amazing little camera, capable of image quality the equal of any crop frame DSLR and that far  behind the 5D MkII, it's easily of commercial quality.  The qualm I have with this mirrorless camera is why would I buy it?

To begin with, one can adapt EF lenses and use the kit. Then add lenses as they are released, though one would want to see the road map to verify that this would work.

Some users with a large collection of EF mount lenses might find it appealing. Personally I prefer to use a system with a better range of native lenses.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
Hope it will have FAST AF. Nikon has it, Olympus has it. If Canon does not have it it will be a big flop. Or canon can come up with a good range finder and View finder and becomes a poor man's  shrunk M9.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »

1.85x, I think.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
Hope it will have FAST AF. Nikon has it, Olympus has it. If Canon does not have it it will be a big flop. Or canon can come up with a good range finder and View finder and becomes a poor man's  shrunk M9.

...or, you could mount a Shorty McForty to a 5DIII and get a rich man's chunky X2....

b&

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »

...or, you could mount a Shorty McForty to a 5DIII and get a rich man's chunky X2....

b&
The major advantage of mirrorless is to make it smaller than the DSLR and eliminate the mirror bounce. Your proposal goes the opposite way.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

1.85x, I think.

Along this same line. I've never known if the G1X sensor is any different than the 18mp APS-C sensor chopped down to a slightly different aspect ratio. Any of the techies out there able to offer some insight?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
Along this same line. I've never known if the G1X sensor is any different than the 18mp APS-C sensor chopped down to a slightly different aspect ratio. Any of the techies out there able to offer some insight?

that pretty much nails it, AFAIK.  Same sensor, from a technological standpoint, as the current 18 MP APS-C bodies (7D, 60D, T2i-T4i), just stamped on the wafer at a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 3:2.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »

b&
The major advantage of mirrorless is to make it smaller than the DSLR and eliminate the mirror bounce. Your proposal goes the opposite way.

True. But, except for body size, my proposal also solves each and every one of the problems mirrorless cameras have, and it solves them in spades.

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »