July 31, 2014, 07:17:39 PM

Author Topic: Good, inexpensive zoom lens? Beginner here.  (Read 14152 times)

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Good, inexpensive zoom lens? Beginner here.
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
Too long; didn't read:  what's a good, somewhat cheap, zoom lens to compliment the 40mm 2.8 pancake?

Newbie here,

Last week I got my first DSLR (t4i) with the 40mm 2.8 lens. 

I don't know much about photography or lenses for that matter, and I was wondering...what zoom lens would make a good compliment to the 40mm?

I'm going to school for video, so keep that in mind.  Sadly, I can only spend about $500 tops on a lens, since I spent the rest on camera gear.  I wish I could get a 70-200mm  :'(

I was thinking this one...anyone have any opinions on it?  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/169267-GREY/Canon_6473A003AA_75_300mm_f_4_0_5_6_III_Autofocus.html

I would mainly be using it at sporting events, concerts, etc.  I don't necessary need a zoom that long, either.  I was also considering:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

^but that's if you guys really convinced me.  I wasn't blown away with the continuous AF with the STM lens (I'm probably just using it wrong), so I figured any focusing I'll really be doing with the t4i will be manual.

As always, thank you for the advice and enlightenment.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

Good, inexpensive zoom lens? Beginner here.
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Good, inexpensive zoom lens? Beginner here.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
Too long; didn't read:  what's a good, somewhat cheap, zoom lens to compliment the 40mm 2.8 pancake?

Newbie here,

Last week I got my first DSLR (t4i) with the 40mm 2.8 lens. 

I don't know much about photography or lenses for that matter, and I was wondering...what zoom lens would make a good compliment to the 40mm?

I'm going to school for video, so keep that in mind.  Sadly, I can only spend about $500 tops on a lens, since I spent the rest on camera gear.  I wish I could get a 70-200mm  :'(

I was thinking this one...anyone have any opinions on it?  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/169267-GREY/Canon_6473A003AA_75_300mm_f_4_0_5_6_III_Autofocus.html

I would mainly be using it at sporting events, concerts, etc.  I don't necessary need a zoom that long, either.  I was also considering:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

^but that's if you guys really convinced me.  I wasn't blown away with the continuous AF with the STM lens (I'm probably just using it wrong), so I figured any focusing I'll really be doing with the t4i will be manual.

As always, thank you for the advice and enlightenment.  :)

18-200mm EFS canon would be a good choice or the Newer 18-135 STM IS.

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
I was originally planning on getting the STM zoom lens, but any idea when it is coming out?  This month?  Sometime this summer?  I can be a pretty impulsive buyer, that's why I came here.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
If you're going to school for video, and you plan on using the camera to shoot your stuff, then I'd spend your money on a few primes rather than on a tele zoom. You'll want something to cover the wider range, and probably something in the more traditional portrait range.

I guess a 17-55 zoom would cover your wide needs; something like the Tamron non-VC, or that Sigma lens. As for the portrait side, something like Canon's 85mm f/1.8, or the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 would cover you. The Samyang lenses are a great value for video use, since you'll be manually focusing anyways. Another option is to use some older lenses (Nikon AI, older Contax/Zeiss, etc) with adapters.

The 18-135 (either the older one or the new STM) would cover general needs, but, you'll find it limiting for video use if you want shallow depth of field. I would avoid impulse buying, you already have one good lens that is useful for getting to know the camera (which is the most important part); you can find out once classes are going what you'll need more of in terms of focal length

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
Hmmm...so just save my money?  It isn't critical I get one now, but I would like to have something with a zoom.

What will a prime lens do?  Yeah yeah yeah, laugh it up. 

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
Hmmm...so just save my money?  It isn't critical I get one now, but I would like to have something with a zoom.

Prime lenses are lenses that don't zoom. Your 40mm is a prime.

If you want awesome low light capability for less $$$, Primes are the way to go.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »
What will a prime lens do?

A prime lens is any natural lens who's focal length is evenly croppable only by a factor of 1.6 and itself.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
Very droll, Neuro! :-)
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
If your primary interest is video, then consider the new EF-S 18-135, which seems to be optimized for video with the t4i.

The best available low-cost long zoom is the newer Tamron 70-300mm VC for about $350. It's no "L" lens, but it is sharper and cheaper than the Canon 70-300mm IS consumer lens.

Also, don't dismiss the 55-250mm EF-S lens. It is very sharp, although the build quality is less than stellar and it doesn't have USM (which means it focuses more slowly, but not noticeably so under most circumstances).  For the price, it can't be beat. Next to the 50mm f 1.8 it is probably the best lens bargain Canon offers.

Thinking about this a little more, I really would recommend waiting until the 18-135mm comes out and there have been some reviews on the lens. For your purpose (video) it might be worth the wait and extra money. It has the advantage of a moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto zoom range, which you can't get with any of the other lenses.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

LSV

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm a newbie too and because the confidence is not there yet to buy used lenses, I've gone the refurbished route with Canon Direct Store to save money.  I got a virtually new Canon 15-85mm with a recent promotion of 20% off and free shipping.  With tax, the total is about $550 and I'm very happy with the quality of the lens. According to CanonRumors price watch, this lens goes for around $700 for new. I'm sure someone more savvy could get a better deal on Ebay or elsewhere, but for now, I'm very satisfed with the refurbished route and I hope that helps.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
I'm a newbie too and because the confidence is not there yet to buy used lenses, I've gone the refurbished route with Canon Direct Store to save money.  I got a virtually new Canon 15-85mm with a recent promotion of 20% off and free shipping.  With tax, the total is about $550 and I'm very happy with the quality of the lens. According to CanonRumors price watch, this lens goes for around $700 for new. I'm sure someone more savvy could get a better deal on Ebay or elsewhere, but for now, I'm very satisfed with the refurbished route and I hope that helps.

You may be a "newbie" but you are quite savvy if you are going the refurbished route with the extra promotional savings. People pay crazy prices on eBay to get a used lens "as is" with no warranty. Refurbished lenses have a warranty and you know Canon tech has tested them out.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »

Single focal lenght lenses, they generally have larger appatures than zoom lenses(or allow you to get those appatures more cheaply in a smaller package) which will have the advanatge of offering shallower depth of field/focus and less need to use higher ISO in low light hence cleaner video.

I'v not used them but Sigma produce some prime lenses in the wide range with large appatures within that budget like the 20mm and 24mm f1.8's.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
I'd hold off until your class teacher tells you what to get.  Youy have conflicting wants here, a video lens for class, and a sports lens which might be a long telephoto.

You are going to want some other accessories as well for video, the cost of the camera is about 10% of the total beginning expense.  hopefully, the school will have some of the lighting, microphones, audio recorders, tripods, video heads, etc, but wait and see.  Odds are that a beginner level video tripod and head will eat up $500.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
hopefully, the school will have some of the lighting, microphones, audio recorders, tripods, video heads, etc, but wait and see.  Odds are that a beginner level video tripod and head will eat up $500.

Yeesh, that's what I was looking at.  I worked as a production assistant a couple years ago and fell in love with glidetracks.  I really want to get one, but I don't know what kind of video head it requires.  I was probably going to chat with some B&H guys tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  It is so greatly appreciated.  So from the sounds of it, maybe I should hold off for the new STM 18-135mm?  Does anyone know when that is hitting the market?

That's kind of what I thought a prime was...a lens with a low aperture and fixed range.  I thought there was something far more special to it, though.

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Hi,

I think you may be using the word "zoom" to mean "telephoto." 

As mentioned above, a zoom lens is just one that can zoom in and out, even if it's just a little bit

Telephoto would be a lens that brings far-away things in close, such as in sports or birding, but it could be either a zoom or a fixed-length (PRIME) lens.

Wide-angle lenses are the opposite of telephoto, and they also come in both zoom and prime flavors.  They allow you to get a wider view of the world into one shot, but none of it is terribly close-up looking when you are done, and in fact if you take the shot from very close-up your subject might end up looking distorted (big nose and comical forehead).

As you may need this for a specific purpose, I agree with Mt Spokane when he says to find out from your classes what it is that you need.  Especially as you are a student on a budget, it would be painful to guess wrong and blow your entire budget and not get what you need.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »