September 21, 2014, 12:09:28 PM

Author Topic: Good, inexpensive zoom lens? Beginner here.  (Read 14511 times)

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Good, inexpensive zoom lens? Beginner here.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
hopefully, the school will have some of the lighting, microphones, audio recorders, tripods, video heads, etc, but wait and see.  Odds are that a beginner level video tripod and head will eat up $500.

Yeesh, that's what I was looking at.  I worked as a production assistant a couple years ago and fell in love with glidetracks.  I really want to get one, but I don't know what kind of video head it requires.  I was probably going to chat with some B&H guys tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  It is so greatly appreciated.  So from the sounds of it, maybe I should hold off for the new STM 18-135mm?  Does anyone know when that is hitting the market?

That's kind of what I thought a prime was...a lens with a low aperture and fixed range.  I thought there was something far more special to it, though.

Well, there is rather a lot more to it if you can find an Optimus Prime, which can turn into a robot and a talking Mack Truck.  :)
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »

HeWhoShoots

• Power Shot G16
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
"Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  It is so greatly appreciated.  So from the sounds of it, maybe I should hold off for the new STM 18-135mm?  Does anyone know when that is hitting the market?"

Best Buy says within a month.

However, I would get primes. If you want a zoom for now, go and pick up a kit lens (if you're going to be working where there is decent light). It'll hold you over until you can find out what you really want/need.
Hands Mk 2| Eyes V1 | Brain.0

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
I didnt read the entire thread, so I don't know if this was already mentioned or not but Canon makes a 70-200 F4L lens for $700 brand new.  You might find one second hand for your $500 budget range.

It does not have IS, but optically it is one of the sharpest lenses canon currently produces.  I would not hesitate at all to get this lens.  IS is great, but if you are going to shoot at at least 1/200 or faster at max focal length on this lens and develop steady handling you certainly don't need it.

Just my 2 cents worth....

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
I guess I pretty much agree with what every one said.

One thing to remember is the super zooms sacrifice quite a bit for the convenience they offer.

Regardless of the make just be prepared to have to have your lens calibrated - especially if you can't adjust af in your camera :'(.
I love my new sigma 17-50 2.8 is. I was prepared to need calibration but I was good out of the box :).

Canon refurbished from Adorama come with a great warranty by the way. I have three refurbished from them and its true they seem brand new.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
That 40mm F2.8 pancake will be everything you want to start off with.  If you were to get a lens, literally grab the EFS 18-55 kit lens for no more than $80ish.  Zoom with your feet, meet your classmates and see what they have (you will be popular with the 40mm lens).  Just remember, on the t4i, the 40mm lens acts like a 64mm lens.

Find out what you can borrow from the school - remember that with video, you may be building/buying a rig, brace or tripod.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
Regardless of the make just be prepared to have to have your lens calibrated - especially if you can't adjust af in your camera :'(.
I love my new sigma 17-50 2.8 is. I was prepared to need calibration but I was good out of the box :).

What does it mean to calibrate a lens, anyone?  Seems like something important I should know if I want to extend the longevity of my gear.

(you will be popular with the 40mm lens)

Ha ha ha, woo!  8)  I think the pancake looks so silly.  I'm excited to get my shotgun mic/shoulder mount in the mail this week.  Last two things on my list (for now):  battery grip + polarizer.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »
If your primary focus is video, you should look into a few manual focus prime lenses. You can pick up beautiful Nikon manual glass for next to nothing. Add an adapter and you are good to go. Nikon AI-s lenses are great, E-Series are cheap as dirt.

Primes will help you become a better photographer, are more affordable and can offer you larger apertures (also good for video)

I don't know what advantage a cheap zoom gives you. The Canon Rebel 18-55 kit lens at least will give you a decent/ affordable wide angle lens.

Just my .02
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »

What does it mean to calibrate a lens, anyone?  Seems like something important I should know if I want to extend the longevity of my gear.

(you will be popular with the 40mm lens)

Ha ha ha, woo!  8)  I think the pancake looks so silly.  I'm excited to get my shotgun mic/shoulder mount in the mail this week.  Last two things on my list (for now):  battery grip + polarizer.

The af or auto focus can be calibrated to optimize or better match your lens focus to your camera.  It doesn't really affect the longevity.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
You are going to want some other accessories as well for video, the cost of the camera is about 10% of the total beginning expense.  hopefully, the school will have some of the lighting, microphones, audio recorders, tripods, video heads, etc, but wait and see.  Odds are that a beginner level video tripod and head will eat up $500.

For 500 clams, you better be getting something better than "Beginner level."  You can get a brand new Manfrotto tripod and fluid head, both more than sturdy enough for a DSLR, for about 200. You can also get a set of used sticks and buy a decent fluid head separately for about 150- just make sure it's compatible with the thread.  It isn't exactly as nice as a Connor, but as long as you have the sticks secured, you won't have problems and it's 99.9% as effective.  Despite what most people seem to think, you don't need a shotgun to kill ants.

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »
For my 2 cents, I can recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with vibration control, and the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.  I paid $450 for the Tamron (Simply Electronics) and $190 for the Canon lens (Amazon).

Both of these lenses are good for stills, and I don't know about video as my Rebel XS can't perform the feat.

Take some classes as suggested, and go out and shoot everything and anything.  I have started schlepping my camera everywhere, and looking for an excuse to photograph stuff.  Go to events, feed birds, visit the zoo, line up your family members for mug shots.  LOL   Take pictures of the moon... 

Take pictures of flowers, bugs, anything... and be prepared to throw out a lot of shots.  I took 270 frames at the local nature center last weekend, and only kept 31 of them.  Last month I took photos at a military rein-actor event and only use my 50mm prime.  I took pictures of an indoor tennis match, and the lighting sucked, as did my 18-55mm kit lens (f/3.5-5.6), so I shot it all at 800 and 1600 ISO.

Most important is to have fun and enjoy your new camera.

darrellrhodesmiller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
my vote would be a used tamron 28-75mm f2.8 you can find them on ebay pretty reasonably priced.
its got amazing quality and goes a little wider than your 40mm and gives you some zoom too.

D

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »
For my 2 cents, I can recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with vibration control, and the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.  I paid $450 for the Tamron (Simply Electronics) and $190 for the Canon lens (Amazon).

Both of these lenses are good for stills, and I don't know about video as my Rebel XS can't perform the feat.

Take some classes as suggested, and go out and shoot everything and anything.  I have started schlepping my camera everywhere, and looking for an excuse to photograph stuff.  Go to events, feed birds, visit the zoo, line up your family members for mug shots.  LOL   Take pictures of the moon... 

Take pictures of flowers, bugs, anything... and be prepared to throw out a lot of shots.  I took 270 frames at the local nature center last weekend, and only kept 31 of them.  Last month I took photos at a military rein-actor event and only use my 50mm prime.  I took pictures of an indoor tennis match, and the lighting sucked, as did my 18-55mm kit lens (f/3.5-5.6), so I shot it all at 800 and 1600 ISO.

Most important is to have fun and enjoy your new camera.

Why thank you!  I've been learning a lot in the last few days but I know it is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.  I took the t4i to the beach and to a fireworks show yesterday and had some fun with it.

My main issue is learning how to play with manual settings, mainly ISO/aperture.  Hopefully I'll learn a lot in my photography course next semester (which I'm praying isn't just how to use Photoshop).

Thanks again, everyone, for the much-needed advice.  I know I could have Google'd a lot of this stuff but I would rather have personal opinions from people who have a far better understanding of photography than me.  =]

TRIPL3try

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »
I know this is slightly off topic at this point, but would it make any sense for me to get a 50mm 1.4 if I already have a 40mm 2.8?  Will I really gain much with that depth of field?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »
If you're a beginner, hold off on getting that next lens. Instead, use your 40mm to help you become a better photographer. Then, at some point in the future, you'll be able to make a better decision about your next lens.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

HeWhoShoots

• Power Shot G16
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »
I know this is slightly off topic at this point, but would it make any sense for me to get a 50mm 1.4 if I already have a 40mm 2.8?  Will I really gain much with that depth of field?

Right now, don't worry about that lens. If you want to experiment with shallow(er) depth of field, get the 50 1.8. It's one of Canon's best buys, and if you can get by its plasticy feel, its image quality will make you very happy. That's a sharp lens and a third the cost of the 1.4.
Hands Mk 2| Eyes V1 | Brain.0

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »