September 22, 2014, 12:35:26 AM

Author Topic: Any Hope/Options? Submerged 5DM3 & 70-200  (Read 1946 times)

Ozmokis

Any Hope/Options? Submerged 5DM3 & 70-200
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »
So...tough story, first and foremost I did not have insurance and it's pretty clear that mistake won't be made again.  Tough lesson to learn...but I'm curious if anyone else ideas.

I'm a weekend-warrior adventure photographer, specializing lately in the ultra-swimming genre.  Recently I was asked to document an attempt at setting the world distance record (English channel rules).  While shooting setup images the day before the swim I fell in a rock break and plunged partially into the Sea of Cortez...unfortunately the part of me that went falling into the salt water was the part carrying the 5DM3 and 70-200 IS II. 

The camera/lens is currently on it's way to the shop, but my assumption given the submerge, salt water and time to shop (3 weeks), the camera is toast and possible the lens too. 

Homeowners doesn't cover, no insurance, I don't think VISA covers anything in travelers insurance...so I'm curious if anyone has any other channels to consider...or is that investment just straight gone?

Thanks
Scott
www.scottrokis.com

canon rumors FORUM

Any Hope/Options? Submerged 5DM3 & 70-200
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

markd61

Re: Any Hope/Options? Submerged 5DM3 & 70-200
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your adventure.

If you were a member of PPA they have $15000 gear coverage that would help.

They have a lot to offer for a pro in the way of their indemnification trust and other services included in membership.
I know this doesn't help today but maybe tomorrow.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
So...tough story, first and foremost I did not have insurance and it's pretty clear that mistake won't be made again.  Tough lesson to learn...

Good lesson to learn, good advice to everyone - INSURE YOUR GEAR!!!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:48 AM »
If you drop your electronics or camera into salt water, the first thing you should do, immediately, is to dunk it into clean, fresh water to get the salt out.
Pull it apart as far as you can and wash it out in fresh water, then mop it up with clean soft towels or paper towels making sure you don't leave any fluff or paper residue behind, and let it dry for a good few hours in a warm shaded spot.

Generally, if you do that, the item should be OK and should work.

If you leave the salt on it for even an hour, the salt will destroy the electronics as it will start to corrode the contacts.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about your misadventure. When do you hear from Canon?

Fingers crossed that the damage (both to your camera and lens, as well as your wallet) is not as bad as you fear.

Was the camera switched on at the time and how long was it under for? What did you do straight after?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Ozmokis

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
Thank everyone.  I'm know much more educated in the prevention and recovery options should it ever happen again.

The first thing I did was pull out the backup 40D and shoot a few of the prime sunrise shots.  Then I had to deal with the issue of blood soaking my leg from knee to toe.  After that was clean-ish, I went scouring the hotel for correctly sized screwdrivers...no luck and 18 hours later we boarded a boat, where I spent 36 hours just knowing the salt was eating the camera away and I couldn't get in to do anything about it (didn't know to dunk it in water). 

The camera submerged about 3 inches and was on at the time. 

Ahhh...I just had to think through it all again.  Lots of lessons learned.

Thanks you everyone
Scott

cszy67

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Hmmm...maybe you should have purchased a 7D, lol.

Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test

The final few minutes is worth watching all of it!
7D ~ 16-35mm f/2.8L II ~ 24-70mm f/2.8L ~ 70-200mm f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »