Image & Video Galleries > Sports

AFL (Australian Rules Football)

(1/6) > >>

samueljay:
Hi All,
There wasn't a thread here for AFL, so thought I'd start one, has anyone here taken any shots at a game recently? I took my camera there to Sundays Game (St Kilda vs. North Melbourne) and took a few shots, was pretty happy with how they turned out, but would love to see others stuff / constructive criticism :) As for process, they were all shot on my 5D III, with a 70-200mm @ 200mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 800, and a shutter of 1/800s. Post processing was mainly fixing the white balance, and boosting contrast, a little vignetting on some to highlight the action too! Thanks for looking :)

Also, while I agree spot colouring is a bit of a dicky technique, it's used a lot in AFL media, because a teams colours are their identity, and they love to highlight that :P

wickidwombat:
some good shots, the vignetting ruins them though IMO
especially since the 70-200 is such a clean sharp lens

pwp:
That's a first! Good to see some AFL images on CR. For those who may not be aware of the fact, AFL is the greatest sport on the planet. If you want to promote the great game, I would have left out the punch-ups.

They're nice shots, but personally I would not have gone quite so heavy on the vignetting and would have cropped a lot tighter on the action. 5D3 files shot at a mere 800 iso will take cropping with no problems.

PW

samueljay:

--- Quote from: wickidwombat on July 02, 2012, 08:53:06 PM ---some good shots, the vignetting ruins them though IMO
especially since the 70-200 is such a clean sharp lens

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the comments wicked! Haha yeah, maybe went a bit overboard there :p , I liked the look but always good to get other opinions, might have another play with the raws tonight and see how they look without the vignette! :)

--- Quote from: pwp on July 02, 2012, 08:53:53 PM ---That's a first! Good to see some AFL images on CR. For those who may not be aware of the fact, AFL is the greatest sport on the planet. If you want to promote the great game, I would have left out the punch-ups.

They're nice shots, but personally I would not have gone quite so heavy on the vignetting and would have cropped a lot tighter on the action. 5D3 files shot at a mere 800 iso will take cropping with no problems.

PW

--- End quote ---
Ahh yeah :P Like I said above, I might have another go at processing, and leave out the vignette, the reason I did it is I felt it highlighted the action a bit more, but will see how they look without it! Thanks for the tips :)

I don't see how posting photos of a punch up is going to demote the game, or misrepresent it though, as there are brawls every other week in the AFL.

wickidwombat:
Its not a real game unless there's a punch up!
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version