October 25, 2014, 03:47:56 AM

Author Topic: ST-E3-RT stock ... this is crazy!  (Read 3618 times)

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
ST-E3-RT stock ... this is crazy!
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
I've had one on backorder since they were announced at both B&H and Amazon and neither have come in. Yet smaller retailers are frequently getting stock, and charging an extra $70-$100 for the privilege of buying one. What is going on, will these ever 'be released' to the big retailers?

canon rumors FORUM

ST-E3-RT stock ... this is crazy!
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

sixlovelylies

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: ST-E3-RT stock ... this is crazy!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:55:47 AM »
I understand your frustration! I got so tired of waiting that I started searching every possible retailer that may have it in stock and I came across: berger-bros.com
They had it in stock (I emailed them to make sure and they replied quickly). Their price is good,  fast and free shipping. Definately worth checking out. Oh and they're an authorized canon dealer, I checked on canons website :)
Canon 5D Mark III | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.8L | (2) 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

KitsVancouver

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:56:49 AM »
why would you buy that?
buy a phottix odin instead.

ps: with the ST-E3 RT the sync time is down to 1/100s on everything except  a 5D MK3 or 1D X when using radio.
otherwise you will have some shadowing on your pictures.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I'm really curious as to why inventory is so limited. I might end up buying a 5th 600EX if the STE3 isn't available soon.

I was considering the Phottix Odins for my 580ex IIs but in the end I'm glad I didn't because the 600EX' are so easy to use.  The Canon system has a very significant advantage in that they are a closed system and don't require as much set up as an IR system or a third party RF solution.

I still think they 600ex' are a tad expensive but I'm a believer. I sold 3 580ex II and bought 3 600ex. Very shortly after I bought a 4th and am considering a 5th (since I cant find an STE3).

sixlovelylies

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
ps: with the ST-E3 RT the sync time is down to 1/100s on everything except  a 5D MK3 or 1D X when using radio.

I have both a Canon 5D Mark III and a 7D and with the 7D I can get a sync speed of 1/250 when using radio.
Canon 5D Mark III | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.8L | (2) 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:28:40 AM »
I have both a Canon 5D Mark III and a 7D and with the 7D I can get a sync speed of 1/250 when using radio.

Maybe that's because of the smaller sensor (and shorter distance for the shutter blade to travel) for the 7D. Could it be that sync-speed is slower using 'older' FF cameras like the 5D / 5D2 (anyone have one to confirm?)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

xstntl

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
Thank you! Just ordered from Berger Bros and cancelled my backorder from many, many moons ago.

I understand your frustration! I got so tired of waiting that I started searching every possible retailer that may have it in stock and I came across: berger-bros.com
They had it in stock (I emailed them to make sure and they replied quickly). Their price is good,  fast and free shipping. Definately worth checking out. Oh and they're an authorized canon dealer, I checked on canons website :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »

Digirati

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
Just got word yesterday that my ST-E3-RT shipped from B&H  :). I noticed it still says out of stock as they're probably still filling back-orders.

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
Just got word yesterday that my ST-E3-RT shipped from B&H  :). I noticed it still says out of stock as they're probably still filling back-orders.

Yup - mine shipped from B&H finally, only on order since April I believe.

Wideopen

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »
B&H still temporary out of stock....glad they're filling out shipments tho.

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
why would you buy that?

I am in the same boat as the OP. I'm really curious as to why inventory is so limited. I might end up buying a 5th 600EX if the STE3 isn't available soon.

I was considering the Phottix Odins for my 580ex IIs but in the end I'm glad I didn't because the 600EX' are so easy to use.  The Canon system has a very significant advantage in that they are a closed system and don't require as much set up as an IR system or a third party RF solution.

I still think they 600ex' are a tad expensive but I'm a believer. I sold 3 580ex II and bought 3 600ex. Very shortly after I bought a 4th and am considering a 5th (since I cant find an STE3).

I absolutely love the 600 and have three. Also considered getting a fourth for on the camera control, but I really want the controller for light weight and low profile. I held off upgrading my flashes hoping that Canon would release a RF solution, glad I did. I have a single 580 which I keep in my outdoor bag as I don't want to take out a 600 while at the beach or camping.

What do you use your fourth flash for? Three plus the controller seems maximal to me, other than for ganging.

Digirati

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »
I have 3 600's and a controller (now in hand). It's pretty slick and love the the control and ease of use - can control all flashes via the controller, as a group or each independently. Unless you're using multiples (which can be good for recycling time on fast shooting situations), I'll stick to 3 of these and invest in strobes and packs for bigger shoots or situations that require more/larger lights.

why would you buy that?

I absolutely love the 600 and have three. Also considered getting a fourth for on the camera control, but I really want the controller for light weight and low profile. I held off upgrading my flashes hoping that Canon would release a RF solution, glad I did. I have a single 580 which I keep in my outdoor bag as I don't want to take out a 600 while at the beach or camping.

What do you use your fourth flash for? Three plus the controller seems maximal to me, other than for ganging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »