December 19, 2014, 08:09:06 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 60D Pictures?  (Read 53637 times)

pgabor

Re: Canon EOS 60D Pictures?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »
Ohoo! I think i get it! I guess that the jog is a joystick too! And it explains the unlock button too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

viggen61

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
THat's what I ws thinking, too. The outer rign is the "quick Control" wheel, the inner ring is the joystick, and the set button at the center. If you enlarge the first photo from the main site page, you can see ridges on the "inner" ring...

pierlux

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
...for a lower MP APS-C camera, maybe offering 2x18MP and one, say, 12-14MP bodies would better cover the customers' needs. Personally, I would love to have a lower MP APS-C body to complement my 5DII in replacement of my old 300D (yes, I still use, though not much, the original Rebel!).

I don't see any advantage in having a lower pixel count.
Not noise wise, not dynamic range wise and obviously not detail wise.
If it's the file sizes, why not use mRAW?
Some guys even say the 7D produces 10MP mRAWs that look better than any 12 or 14MP DSLR.

Well, not noise wise, but as concerns dynamic range I should say an advantage exists for low pixel density sensors over those having tightly packed photosites. Let's put it this way: at high ISO, I like the 40D image quality better than that of the 50D. There's always a difference between theory and practice.

afrank99

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 20D+7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »
Wrong. This idea doesn't take into account the inherent noise in the technology.

Right, not wrong.

I think both my physics degree and 10 years of experience in semiconductor production do help me having a clear understanding what goes on in a solid-state imaging sensor and signal processing in general.

Resizing a 18MP image to 10 MP using a decent algorithm is not very much different to using a 10MP sensor with larger pixels in terms of signal processing. After all it's always about integrating photon impact over time and position - it doesn't matter so much if it's done in the hard or the software.

laxative

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
No - wait - there's no direct print button!
Look closely under the back wheel. It's still there! Phew, thought i would be moving to Nikon for a while  ::)

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
Nice source CRGuy, first CR3 info in a long while 8). I'm glad that Canon chose the long-rumored side-hinged design for the 60D LCD rather than the bottom-hinged design on the D5000, which is unusable on a tripod or low on the ground. Would have been even better with the Sony-style folding LCD. I hope the VF view doesn't suffer due to the thicker screen. The 8-way mini-joystick inside the RCD is a good use of empty space, as is the 7D-style toggle switch for the EOS Movie/LV mode. If this is the supposed 60D and not the 2000D, then the latter would most prolly be just a rebadged 450D, like the previous rumors suggested.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »
Resizing a 18MP image to 10 MP using a decent algorithm is not very much different to using a 10MP sensor with larger pixels in terms of signal processing. After all it's always about integrating photon impact over time and position - it doesn't matter so much if it's done in the hard or the software.
This may be right for DSLRs with big enough pixels. For point'n'shoots I personally think it's wrong. As far as "dynamik range" is concerned, the photogate of the pixel is "full" when a certain amount of photons are collected. The bigger the pixel, the higher the capacity of the photogate, the higher the dynamik range.

Edit: By the way, I really like the pictures of the camera. Looks like a small camera with good ergonomics and good built quality to me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:19:17 PM by Jan »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:49 PM »
Resizing a 18MP image to 10 MP using a decent algorithm is not very much different to using a 10MP sensor with larger pixels in terms of signal processing.

In theory you are right but in practice you are wrong.

What you are saying is true only if the two sensors collect the same amount of light. 

Consider this, though - the top surface of a sensor has an 'active' area (which collects light) and a wiring area (basically a dead area in terms of light collection).

More pixels on a sensor requires more wires.
If two sensors use the same wire size, more wires = larger dead area (and hence smaller active area).

So, an 18mp sensor will actually collect *less* light than a 10mp sensor - if both sensors use the same size wires and everythng else is the same.

FYI, Canon has not shrunk the wire size of their sensors since they started making sensors in 2003 (?).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:30:24 PM by x-vision »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
So, an 18mp sensor will actually collect *less* light than a 10mp sensor - if both sensors use the same size wires and everythng else is the same.

FYI, Canon has not shrunk the wire size of their sensors since they started making sensors in 2003 (?).

You seem to be forgetting about microlenses, which function to minimize the effects of inter-photosite spaces.  Also, while Canon may not have 'shrunk the wire size' they recently (50D, 7D, 1DIV) changed over to using gapless microlenses, meaning essentially no light lost to the spaces between the photosites.  So, an 18mp sensor with gapless microlenses will collect *the same* amount of light as a 10mp sensor with gapless microlenses. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:41:15 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ELK

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
Good news:
- there is a button on mode dial
- while there is still direct print icon drawn at the right bottom, but there is no dedicated button for that - see attached slightly brightened crop. Seems it's function is combined with play/review button, which is great, imho.

Bad news:
- the body looks like non-metal as rumored

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »
Also, based on the pics, the LCD housing is still too thick, meaning it still uses the conventional CCFL backlighting, not LEDs or those thin backlight-less AMOLEDs used by Samsung. The VF eyepiece should be extended more towards the back to compensate, just like 1-series VFs compared to lesser cams.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

ELK

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
Yes, amoled display will come 1 year later with 70D by killing 60D (remember 40D -> 50D?)

Cornell

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Am I missing something? Is there something that actually identifies the camera shown as being for a 60D?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

Aputure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Aputure Blog
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
The only button that is missing is the (rather useless IMHO) picture style button as far as I can see.
No - wait - there's no direct print button!
Is this the one that you desperately are looking for?

Bottom right looks like a direct print button. But I can't find a delete button anywhere. Also, I wonder what's going on with the top left button? Looks like the joystick has been replaced by a 4 way controller around the set button also?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:26:14 PM by Aputure »

drumbo

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
What is the size of the LCD screen? 3"? or less because of the "articulation"?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »