April 21, 2014, 06:38:21 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 60D Pictures?  (Read 48903 times)

Aputure

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Aputure Blog
Re: Canon EOS 60D Pictures?
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »
It's always exciting to see pictures! If true, I think the new body will be a welcome addition. For one, it stands out from the rest of the range - its almost a hybrid of the 7D and 550D, and hopefully the best of both worlds. Except it looks like the viewfinder is still pretty small. Bummer. LCD should be AWESOME though. I really miss that from my G6.

I made a blog post a while back about my wish list for the 60D (and my predictions): http://www.aputure.com/blog/2010/06/09/canon-60d-our-wish-list/

I can't believe I doubted the swivel screen hype...

Oh well, still not confirmed yet, can't wait for the official press release. These things always keep me up late at night  :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »

MCK

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2010, 06:35:06 AM »
How can it be that they suddenly make plastic sh... on an eos xx ????? :'(

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
I can't believe this either.
Don't get me wrong, I believe it, but I don't appreciate it. :(

rrcphoto

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
When Nikon releases their 16MP D95 and Canon releases the 18MP 60D, would it be possible to stop all the insanity over megapixels?

Getting real tired of the debate.

Alternatively, maybe we could create a special Megapixel War thread and let the two sides fight to the death.

I shot film for most of my life. If you used Tri-X you got some grain. If you pushed it to 1600 you got more grain. If it bothered you, you went to a larger format. It seems like people want to push their digital cameras to 6400 and think they shouldn't get noise. I'm just so incredibly amazed at the quality of the shots that come out of my 7D that I can't figure out what the issues are.
My issues on the 18MP APS-C camera are: 1. The sensor has out resolved the bset of the prime lens.  2.Diffraction limited at f6.7.  3.Noise at higher ISO (400 nad  UP)is even worst than 40D.  4.Built in noise reduction further reduced the sharpness og the picture.  5. Dynamic range is 1 stop less than the 40D.
If you are happy with your 7D. That is great. I have been waiting for a replacement for my 20D for a long time. When the 50D come out, It is disappointing. Then comes the 7D. It is better than the 50D but It is 18MP. So I gave up and brought a used 40D with only 7K shutter activation.

sounds like the result of you clicking a shutter button is to view at 100% then do nothing with the image.

1. a higher resolution will continue to extract more detail out of any lens.  the lens determines the max magnification between sensor size and final image size.  This tired reason has been way proven even on photozone when they moved some of their tests from 8Mp sensors to 15Mp cropped sensors if you want empirical data.
2. only if the result of your photo taking is pixel peeping - diffraction and the appearance of it, depends on your sensor to final image magnification - pixel level diffraction isn't a big deal that alot make it out to be.
3. image noise is less on the 7D .. there is a difference.
4. only if you shoot JPG.
5. not at equiv print sizes.  DxO mark has them as equal on per pixel and 7D obviously better with matched image sizes.

two ways of looking at this ..

more resolution does not mean that you can increase the magnification of image size to final output size.  more resolution means you have smaller graduations and less digital artifacts.  you also have more pixels that you can afford to lose to NR at higher ISO's and still achieve a baseline Mp's that a lower Mp sensor could not resolve at even at base ISO.

the more Mp's arguments you raised are all too common, and usually revolve around people that think the be all and end all is to stare at a monitor with the image nailed at 100% magnification.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:13:31 AM by rrcphoto »

envoys

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »
Is it just me or does the circle wheel in the pics looks different in pic 1 then in the others? First pics looks like a 7D wheel.

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
Is it just me or does the circle wheel in the pics looks different in pic 1 then in the others? First pics looks like a 7D wheel.
I think the quality is too bad to say that. But on none of the pictures the scroll wheel looks like the of of the 7D (the 7D's has got a silver circle).

that1guy

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »
I'm kinda bummed about the plastic body news.  In my mind, the 7D is now the real replacement for the XXD line and this 60D is really a new level of camera stealing the name from the XXD line.  I'll reserve final judgement until I see the product, but so far, I don't like it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »

unruled

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2010, 02:32:07 PM »

Yeah, if the picture is accurate, then this really sucks to be honest. I'm one of the many that went from a 350d to a 40d, and one of the reasons was bigger/better build. What this '60d' appears to be is a regression to a 550d in a slightly bigger form factor. Well, screw that.

I then agree with @that1guy, in that the 7d is then the unofficial real successor to the xxD series.

Don't know why/how canon seemingly screwed this up.

hoktar

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
Interesting, that nearly everyone is against what they did with the 60D.
I wonder if Canon cared about it, if they knew.

ELK

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
I'm not against. If plastic body helps keep price lower maintaining good build quality, then it's fine! Never heard any complaints about D70, D80, D90 plastic bodies. I actually owned D80 and then moved to 40D. The first feeling, when I looked and touched 40D was "Yes, it's huge.. but it's somehow... not serious. Is it really metal? Canon doesn't have designers at all?... etc". When I compared D80 and 40D side by side, I came to the conclusion that Nikon's designers put every effort to make me fall in love with it. And what did Canon's designers have in mind when making 40D? Curiously, the words of Boris the Blade from Snatch perfectly describe my feelings toward 40D design: "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it." :) To say nothing about Rebels!!! Hence, if Canon this time makes 60D plastic a bit appealing (D90ish?), then most of us, the snobs, will feel quite happy. So you may ask, why did I move from Nikon to Canon? My D80 had a lot of hot pixels. The Internet was also full of stories about D80 hot pixels. It made me mad, I could see them in almost all high ISO or long exposure pictures. If I knew that D90 will have CMOS sensor and will be such a good upgrade I wouldn't switch to Canon. But I didn't know, and I was very angry that a camera with BS instead of sensor costed me 800$.
But when I switched to Canon, I understood that I still loved Nikon. Now when I look at my D80 pictures, I don't notice these hot pixels. Maybe I've just grown up and finally am becoming a photographer from a novice measurebator. In the end, we just forget sometimes that the label on the camera and body material have absolutely no connection to the laws of optics. So much sentiments for today :)

Shompis

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »
Indeed, the plastic Nikon uses is of very high quality and feels like very hight quality. However, the Canon xxx series feell like it is made of cheap plastic, not to mention how cheap on/off switch is on Canon compared to Nikon. That is worrying me that the 60D will feel cheap as the XXX series and not high quality plastic like the Nikon ones.

gkreis

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
Indeed, the plastic Nikon uses is of very high quality and feels like very hight quality. However, the Canon xxx series feell like it is made of cheap plastic, not to mention how cheap on/off switch is on Canon compared to Nikon. That is worrying me that the 60D will feel cheap as the XXX series and not high quality plastic like the Nikon ones.

I think we are all fretting about something we haven't seen yet.  Let's just wait...  (it is hard, I know)... and see what the reviews say.

My question is when will these be in stores so we can handle one?

that1guy

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:01 AM »
I've thought about it more today, and I think I am becoming more ok w/ the plastic IF it is a really high quality one.  One more thing I'm curious about is what kind of shutter it will have.  I wonder if it will still be the more durable XXD shutter or if it will get an XXXD shutter.  I know, I know, we have to wait ;)  If they put the good shutter in and use a good durable plastic, I think I could be won over.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:01 AM »

marulk

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2010, 05:09:12 AM »

There are so many people around not knowing what they are talking about, I just tried to separate from them.
Sorry for this.

I want to upgrade from my (8MP) 350d rebel and I really like its pixel sharpness at 100%. I really have no need for 18MP. But I do want better ISO, faster AF, better ergonomics and larger viewfinder.
Could I not just get a 60d and shoot with it at 8MP and still see an IQ improvement over the rebel?

(I am guessing shooting in 8MP means the camera shoots at 18MP, then downsamples the image in-camera to 8, which theoretically should reduce some noise too ?)

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »

If it wasn't the plastic body, it would be the articulating screen that nobody needs.

The internet is full of whiners who typically cannot afford to buy what it is they complain about anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »