October 23, 2014, 02:12:54 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 60D Pictures?  (Read 52325 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 60D Pictures?
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2010, 06:05:47 AM »
I'm kinda bummed about the plastic body news.  In my mind, the 7D is now the real replacement for the XXD line and this 60D is really a new level of camera stealing the name from the XXD line.  I'll reserve final judgement until I see the product, but so far, I don't like it.

Tell us how metal vs plastic body will make any difference to your photography. And anyone else who thinks this is a change for the worse. Explain how the magnesium alloy is the core of the camera and without which you could not take a decent photo.

Have you even held a plastic body D/SLR to know what it is like? Let me clue you in - it's lighter. Pair a plastic body camera with a good plastic lens (50/1.8mkII) and you've got a winning combination that can take awesome pics in low light because there's very little strain on your muscles to keep it steady.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2010, 06:05:47 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »
When Nikon releases their 16MP D95 and Canon releases the 18MP 60D, would it be possible to stop all the insanity over megapixels?

Getting real tired of the debate.

Alternatively, maybe we could create a special Megapixel War thread and let the two sides fight to the death.

I shot film for most of my life. If you used Tri-X you got some grain. If you pushed it to 1600 you got more grain. If it bothered you, you went to a larger format. It seems like people want to push their digital cameras to 6400 and think they shouldn't get noise. I'm just so incredibly amazed at the quality of the shots that come out of my 7D that I can't figure out what the issues are.
My issues on the 18MP APS-C camera are: 1. The sensor has out resolved the bset of the prime lens.  2.Diffraction limited at f6.7.  3.Noise at higher ISO (400 nad  UP)is even worst than 40D.  4.Built in noise reduction further reduced the sharpness og the picture.  5. Dynamic range is 1 stop less than the 40D.
If you are happy with your 7D. That is great. I have been waiting for a replacement for my 20D for a long time. When the 50D come out, It is disappointing. Then comes the 7D. It is better than the 50D but It is 18MP. So I gave up and brought a used 40D with only 7K shutter activation.

I bought a replacement for my 20D. It's called the 5D Mark II. If you scaled up the 20D's sensor to full size then you get a sensor with the resolution of about the same as the 5D2. Yes, it's expensive but yes it is worth it. If you go and check DXO's site, there is no degradation from 20D to 5D2, only improvement.

If you bought a used 40D then it sounds like your problem is money and budget, not that there isn't a new/better camera to replace your 20D.

MCK

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »
But what about a heavy ef 70-200mm 1 2.8l is ii usm on a light plastic body ?

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2010, 06:22:36 AM »

What about it?
Are you trying to say that Canon would not have tested what you're suggesting?
Look at the photo on the front page... what's attached to that camera? Hmmm?
Is the camera falling apart?

MCK

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2010, 06:28:58 AM »

What about it?

No surely not !!  ::)

I have just vusulized that a heavy lens on a light body would maybe tendency tilt over ... or would not lay as good in the hand as a heavier metal body...

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2010, 06:36:50 AM »

What about it?

I have just vusulized that a heavy lens on a light body would maybe tendency tilt over ... or would not lay as good in the hand as a heavier metal body...

Thanks, now it is clear to me that you've never actually used a full length zoom on any tripod mounted D/SLR, especially not a white lens.

The white lenses all of tripod mounts attached to the lens and the pro's mount their lens which supports the camera, not the other way around. There's a few good reasons for that.

MCK

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2010, 06:42:58 AM »

What about it?

Thanks, now it is clear to me that you've never actually used a full length zoom on any tripod mounted D/SLR, especially not a white lens.

The white lenses all of tripod mounts attached to the lens and the pro's mount their lens which supports the camera, not the other way around. There's a few good reasons for that.

So if there are ony advantages in a plastic body why not to use one on all models ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2010, 06:42:58 AM »

marind

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
I'm kinda bummed about the plastic body news.  In my mind, the 7D is now the real replacement for the XXD line and this 60D is really a new level of camera stealing the name from the XXD line.  I'll reserve final judgement until I see the product, but so far, I don't like it.

Tell us how metal vs plastic body will make any difference to your photography. And anyone else who thinks this is a change for the worse. Explain how the magnesium alloy is the core of the camera and without which you could not take a decent photo.

Have you even held a plastic body D/SLR to know what it is like? Let me clue you in - it's lighter. Pair a plastic body camera with a good plastic lens (50/1.8mkII) and you've got a winning combination that can take awesome pics in low light because there's very little strain on your muscles to keep it steady.

finally someone with brains on the forum .. to all of you, who are blablaing about the plastic bodyframes, or how ugly is this new camera ... argggh!! do a good thing to world of photography and switch to PRACTICA ..

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »
So if there are ony advantages in a plastic body why not to use one on all models ?
Because people go crazy about these Mg bodys and so they sell well. ;)

Well, seriously: a Mg body is probably sturdier than a plastic one. But the question is, if the normal user needs this. Maybe a professional photographer, who has two or three cameras around the neck and needs to switch between the really fast without being able to be carefull that they don't hit each other...

that1guy

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »

I actually did in another thread but I can't expect everyone to read each thread, so I'll explain in more detail...I can be clumsy and my camera gets beat and dinged all the time.  I was figuring that it stood a better chance of surviving w/ a metal body.  And if my camera survives, it will take a better photo than a broken one ;) .  If you would have read down the page a little you would have also found that I said I was becoming more ok w/ it if they used a high quality plastic and if they still put an XXD shutter in it (as I do shoot a TON of frames). 

Here is a good example of what I mean...back when the 1DS came out my old boss took it out to get some photos. He was walking over a bunch of boulders, slipped and put his hands down quick to catch himself.  Problem was that the 1DS was still in his hand :(  The base of the camera hit a rock so hard the 28-70 2.8 broke right off the body, leaving the lens mount in the camera, and it ejected the battery (not sure if you have seen 1DS batteries, but they actually lock into the body).  He got back to the studio, we removed the mount, put a new lens and battery in and it worked perfect.  Fast forward to this year and a buddy of mine drops his Rebel XSi w/ a kit lens on it.  Doesn't hit the ground hard enough to break the lens or cause any visible damage.  His camera now doesn't work.  Now I'm not saying that the 60D is built like the 1DS, so everyone quit writing the flame responses, but I figure that it has to fall somewhere in between as far as durability.

Do I need the durability?  Not if I don't drop my camera ;) .  But I make money w/ my camera and a lot of times I'm chasing kids or at a wedding and I'm focusing more on my subject than on my camera.  I know there is a really good chance of me doing something stupid  :o  If you misunderstood and thought that I was saying my pictures would look worse now that it was a plastic body, I'm sorry.  All I was saying was that I can tend to be clumsy and I figure a more solid body is a better insurance policy for me.

Anyway, that's my reason FWIW.

unruled

« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »

actually, I went from a 350d to a 40d and my keeper rate at slow shutterspeeds is a LOT higher with the 40d, because it just sits more stable in my hands, and the fact that its a better balanced weight distribution.

That said, part of the reason I hate plastic on camera's is -- superficial, but I like to feel quality in my hands, not as if Im holding a toy (a very expensive toy). I travel a lot and (literally) throw my 40d into a backpack all the time, never had so much as a scratch. Its good to be able to feel that confident.

silvershot77

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
Huge demand for lower count 1.6
bodies ?  where ?  not anywhere to be seen.   

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »

I actually did in another thread but I can't expect everyone to read each thread, so I'll explain in more detail...I can be clumsy and my camera gets beat and dinged all the time.  I was figuring that it stood a better chance of surviving w/ a metal body.  And if my camera survives, it will take a better photo than a broken one ;) .  If you would have read down the page a little you would have also found that I said I was becoming more ok w/ it if they used a high quality plastic and if they still put an XXD shutter in it (as I do shoot a TON of frames). 

Here is a good example of what I mean...back when the 1DS came out my old boss took it out to get some photos. He was walking over a bunch of boulders, slipped and put his hands down quick to catch himself.  Problem was that the 1DS was still in his hand :(  The base of the camera hit a rock so hard the 28-70 2.8 broke right off the body, leaving the lens mount in the camera, and it ejected the battery (not sure if you have seen 1DS batteries, but they actually lock into the body).  He got back to the studio, we removed the mount, put a new lens and battery in and it worked perfect.  Fast forward to this year and a buddy of mine drops his Rebel XSi w/ a kit lens on it.  Doesn't hit the ground hard enough to break the lens or cause any visible damage.  His camera now doesn't work.  Now I'm not saying that the 60D is built like the 1DS, so everyone quit writing the flame responses, but I figure that it has to fall somewhere in between as far as durability.

Has the Rebel XSi been to Canon for repair so that you know what actually broke?

To be honest, we cannot compare the two events. We don't know how far the Rebel XSi was dropped nor what the length of the fall for the 1D was. Nor do we know what the point of impact was for each camera or even what actually broke on the XSi.

It would be like saying that you're not going to buy a Toyota Corolla because a friend you know died in an accident whereas someone you know had an accident in a Ford Mustang and survived, therefore the Mustang must be better. Without detailed specifics about both of the incidents, it is not possible to make a meaningful comparison or draw meaningful conclusions.

For example, if the LCD screen on a1000D broke then the entire camera may cease to function because that screen is central to the camera's purpose. It's not hard to drop a DSLR in such a way that the LCD screen suffers permanent damage.

Let me counter your example by saying that I've dropped a fully plastic SLR multiple times and it has never suffered any damage.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »

that1guy

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2010, 02:23:02 AM »
Dilbert - touche.  Look, you obviously won't be proven wrong w/ your logic so that is fine. I was just giving examples from my own experience. Aparently they weren't valid enough, so that is fine.  From your example, I am actually now feeling a lot better about the plastic, so thanks for sharing your experience.  You are right, I don't know how far the plastic rebel was dropped but I do know that the 1Ds was slammed down. You are right, plastic could have survived, but we each go with our personal experience.  I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to provide helpful examples for others.  No need to be so aggressive with your responses to people.  I fail to understand why you seem to almost take it personally when someone says that they would prefer metal and then give reasonable reasons for backing that up.  If you don't like the metal bodies, and if they are not as good as plastic, don't buy them.   Anyhow, thanks again for the conversation and thanks for letting us know you've dropped your plastic body multiple times (and I really do mean thanks, not trying to make a snarky comment)...that truly does add to the conversation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 02:36:53 AM by that1guy »

unruled

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:55 AM »
playing devils advocate here: some of you may remember the 350d that fell from a skydivers helmet and survived the drop

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845602

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:55 AM »