October 22, 2014, 11:27:42 PM

Author Topic: street photography...feedback please!  (Read 9506 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: street photography...feedback please!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
Also look at the other pictures he posts in the link, not just the two B&W transforms here...

Some of that works even better in color IMHO.

Cools shots and the processing is intriguing.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »
Also look at the other pictures he posts in the link, not just the two B&W transforms here...

Some of that works even better in color IMHO.

Cools shots and the processing is intriguing.

Thanks! I always have a problem deciding between B&W & colour....

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
I see you shot in color then converted to black and white, I'm looking for shooting in black and white from the get go, and trying to use my mind and "see" the world in black and white as I shoot, but I'm finding it difficult to imagine that.  My mentor stated he can do that sort of.  Have you ever heard of doing this?

Nice pictures by the way, the two chicks kissing was an eye opener at the end, great capture / timing. Congrats.

Peace! 8)

Well, if you're shooting in RAW....everything is in color...as that you get what the sensor sees. So, there is no such thing as "shooting black and white" really anymore. I guess if you're shooting jpg and use the styles, then, yes, you only get B&W, but no one should really only be shooting in jpg these days, you want RAW so you can have more leeway for post processing.

cayenne

Plato the Wise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »
The same rules apply to color or black and white. Composition, line and form, pattern and juxtaposition of visual elements all play a critical roll in making something visually interesting.

I agree that seeing in Black and white is BS. Everyone sees in color unless you are colorblind. Envisioning what something will look like reproduced in black and white is a skill that is learned through practice and patience.

As an artist who works in a wide range of mediums in addition to photography I have learned to do this. When you have to draw something in black and white, you learn to interpret color as values and through trial and error learn what works and what renders flat.

With that said, your first images looks like street photography to me. The second violates the rule of observation. The subject should be involved in their activity and not the photographer.

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »
"Seeing in Black and White" is not BS, but you shouldn't take it literally. It's the ability to see the contrast in a color scene the way it would be represented in black and white. It's an acquired skill. Yes, you can make good black and white images from your RAW files if you don't work on seeing this way, but it will take you longer in post and you will have less black and white keepers.
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, 2x III, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

petach

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:00 AM »
I have only been street shooting (and other I guess) since 2011.  My main aim when I go out to shoot is to have NO  AIM other than to have my camera set for the conditions prevailing. 

Opportunity meeting preparation gets the shot.

I don't see in B&W nor in colour.  I just see, observe, look for an expression, a nuance, an ironic juxta, context, several different lives happening at once in a confined area.  I shoot then process to get the best (of my limited abilities) out of what I have.

if you ever suffer a lack of confidence in your abilities, look at Bruce Gilden's street stuff.  Same old schtick......but he is a Magnum 'tog....and all he does is stick a Leica and flash gun under the noses of his ambush victims.  (But to be fair.....look at his Yakusa and other photo documentary stuff and you see how brilliant he is as a camersmith)

I have seen stuff produced here by keen amatuers that I would say is way more interesting and skilfully carried out than some really well known street shooters.

I see, I shoot, I move on....I am not precious about it, I don't  go in for pseudo mumbo jumbo.  To be honest, having Parkinsons tremor, it is all I can do to hold a bloody camera still enough and for long enough to get the shot.

I see wonderful stuff in these forums, wonderful and wonder why they are not exhibited elsewhere. 
Live fast....die when it fits your schedule.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:00 AM »