September 22, 2014, 08:49:11 AM

Author Topic: Macbook pro retina advice  (Read 7635 times)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
Re: Macbook pro retina advice
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
I have to buy a new laptop soon and I was thinking about the 15" with retina display. But...I was on the apple store and checked my website and all the pics look weird. Then checked other pages and same problem... I do not know what to do now.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
I was on the apple store and checked my website and all the pics look weird.

Define 'weird'...

Have you used a Mac before?  Safari (the default browser) respects the embedded ICC profiles, most other browsers do not.  You can test yours here.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
You can always get an ssd later from otherworldcomputing.com, it's like $250 for a 240gb and they are much faster than the ssd's that come from Apple. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
I was on the apple store and checked my website and all the pics look weird.

Define 'weird'...

Have you used a Mac before?  Safari (the default browser) respects the embedded ICC profiles, most other browsers do not.  You can test yours here.

yeah sorry, they were looking like pixelated, i can't remember right now but they were not showing as sharp as you would see them with any other computer. (by the way i have an iMac, but thanks for the link :)
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 06:08:53 PM »
You can always get an ssd later from otherworldcomputing.com, it's like $250 for a 240gb and they are much faster than the ssd's that come from Apple.

I usually take computer reviews with a grain of salt(and prob should here, as well), but I read an interesting review on the new "Retina" MBP.  It said the SSD's data transfer rate is much faster than other SSD's out there because in the new R-MBP the SSD's are not going through a SATA connection.

I do understand you are talking about putting an aftermarket SSD in the "old" body style MBP.  Just thought this was interesting, though.

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
I've been using my new retina MacBook Pro for a week now, and I can tell you that it is a fantastic machine. I do a lot of video work and photo work, and it's absolutely stunning for both (FCPX and Aperture).

Don't believe the negative stories about its graphics card not being able to drive the screen resolution. There are only a few situations where you'll see that effect, and the computer does not, in any way, feel slow or "stuttery."

I'm coming from a 17" MacBook Pro. The retina's screen is much more clear, but as others have said, it's a smaller workspace (understandably). Is that bad? No. Do I miss the extra room from my 17"? Sure. What I miss more is the battery of the 17". The retina's battery lasts several hours when really pushing it, which is nice. But it does drain faster than my 17".

Anyway, it's a great computer. The screen, the lightness of the machine, the speed, the built-in HDMI port... I just really like it for what I do. Using Safari, most websites look just fine. Yes, images are usually not retina resolution, but some are. Text in Safari is great. Text in Pages... not great. Word processing in Pages is pretty ugly actually. But they'll catch up and update it. Photoshop isn't ideal, but it's not horrible either. Aperture and FCPX are beautiful.

Like I always tell people (and the same is true for cameras): if you need one now, get one now. If you want to wait, wait. But once you commit, commit. Don't feel bad two weeks later when they come out with something faster. Just get a machine that does what you need to do. And then do it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:46:54 PM by daveheinzel »

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
I've been using my new retina MacBook Pro for a week now, and I can tell you that it is a fantastic machine. I do a lot of video work and photo work, and it's absolutely stunning for both (FCPX and Aperture).

Ok, I'm getting jealous now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
Ok, I'm getting jealous now.

You'll love yours. And good tips on going SSD on MacBook Pros. I did the same on my old 17, and it made such a big difference.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »
i take it lightroom doesnt look to great on the retina display?i dont think adobe will be quick updating it either :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »