April 16, 2014, 09:21:45 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Delayed Again  (Read 13515 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Delayed Again
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
If i need low light, bump up the ISO…with the good performance of these cameras..shooting at F4 is almost good in any condition i feel…unlike the older cameras where f2.8 is a must..i just feel you don't really need it these days..

What if you need the flexibility of a zoom and the thinner DoF of f/2.8 vs. f/4?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »

Seanlucky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
This does suck for a rental business... Summer is prime time to make money back on a lens, especially in a city like Vancouver which is so seasonal, and I'm sure a lot of wedding photographers will be renting this lens in the first year that it's released. I'm not going to pretend to understand what goes into making a lens on an assembly line, so it's not up to me to second guess Canon, but this does blow...

davinci52

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
This is absolutely ridiculous!  After we've already been waiting 5 months for our pre-orders from major retailers, Canon now tries to tell us that something about the lens needs to be "adjusted".   I, for one, don't believe that lie for one second.   To CANON:  Our patience isn't limitless.   If you want to keep our business, deliver product with a reasonable time!

So just because you don't like the news and are impatient that means they are lying?  This is one of the most anticipated lenses of the year, and surely will be one of the best selling, they can't afford to screw this up.

Let me ask you, if there isn't an issue, then what exactly is the hold-up?  Are you suggesting that all of the 24-70 II's are actually fine and ready to go but Canon just wants to piss all it's customers off?  Obviously there is something that needs to be fixed.  They know how many times they've had to delay stuff and I'm sure they wouldn't do it if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

First:  This lens has been in development for years, and in professional testing for at least several months, yet Canon didn't find a very significant defect until it was already into retail production?  Not likely.  A lens isn't subject to the same magnetude of unknowns as a body, which has both many more components and possible software issues.  I think Canon is holding it up just to ensure that virtually all the Mark I lenses have been sold before they will release the Mark IIs.

Second:  The reason it is a big deal to me is that I'm a pretty old guy who would like to get to use it some before I'm either disabled or dead.

suman0102

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Canon making sure their product is created with the highest standard they choose for it. However, I am not happy with the way Canon is tossing their customers around. Its just not professional. I expect a company to have everything figured out, then announce the product with a release date and STICK TO IT! Think of how apple does their business. If they say a product is going to be released on July 29th, you can bet that it WILL be released on July 29th. It shows integrity and professionalism. Surely everyone is allowed to slip and have to make recalls or delay the product once in a while. But that should be the exception, not the rule.

On a different note, I'm also not a fan of canon's pricing model. I have little-to-no knowledge about business but I would much rather see canon have a fixed price on their product. If a new version is announced, the price should stay the same. Again, apple does a great job with this.

Just my 2c

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

As long the lens is made to specs, I'm willing to wait for good copy.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

Otter

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
I think the lesson learned for this round of releases is don't announce a product too early, unless you know you can hit that date within a month.  I know it's all been said, I'm just giving my two cents.  I'm not waiting for a 1dX or a 24-70 mkII(although I wouldn't mind either!), but it really makes you feel like Canon isn't running their business the right way, caring that people who are waiting for these products and doing a lot of things on the fly.
Yes, I understand nobody wants a lens release for $2000 + or camera @ $6000+ that isn't ready and it's good they are taking the time to get it right.  Well, don't create all this negative press by constantly delaying it and 1/2 a year early announcements.  I'd rather get a one month announcement or less, here is a new lens and camera in then new lens and camera in 3 months and then it's 6 months and so on.  Perhaps it's a ploy to keep people waiting for their equipment as opposed to going over to different companies to get what they want or people getting into photography starting out(yes I know you don't start with a 1DX) waiting for Canon instead of choosing Nikon.
For the record, I do love my Canon products I have purchased in the past and would not change to Nikon or another company...  I'm just saying....  "Come on Canon, get your $(*@ together!"

Wideopen

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »

As long the lens is made to specs, I'm willing to wait for good copy.

+1 gives me more time to save up

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Canon making sure their product is created with the highest standard they choose for it. However, I am not happy with the way Canon is tossing their customers around. Its just not professional. I expect a company to have everything figured out, then announce the product with a release date and STICK TO IT! Think of how apple does their business. If they say a product is going to be released on July 29th, you can bet that it WILL be released on July 29th. It shows integrity and professionalism. Surely everyone is allowed to slip and have to make recalls or delay the product once in a while. But that should be the exception, not the rule.

On the flip side of that, the first revisions of Apple products are sometimes known to have quality issues...  it's all a tradeoff between schedule, quality and managing expectations.  I do agree that Canon shouldn't announce a product months early (or years early like the 200-400mm), and they especially shouldn't discontinue the previous product months early.  That was a pretty boneheaded move on their part.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
I think we are going to continue to see lens manufacturing problems into the future.  Glass production requires a lot of electrical power, and companies are being told to cut back.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112538565/japan-faces-power-outages-residents-urged-to-conserve-energy/

The crystal growing operations for the big crystals also requires a reliable power source, and a huge amount of power.  Backup generators can only hold power for a limited time, so production is going to suffer.

http://www.canon-optron.co.jp/english/fluorite/index.html

RafaPolit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
What is utterly absurd is the inability of Canon to stick to their own release dates... no one imposes those dates on them, they chose them, and then there is delay after delay!! On EVERY product! Just absurd!

Rafa.

Dylan

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
I was the owner of a V1 24-70 and sold it when the date was set for release on the mark II. I didn't expect it to start shipping the exact day they had posted, but certainly not 6 months late. I've been checking CR almost every day DREADING this notice. I figured Canon's recent track record painted a good picture that I wasn't going to receive this lens, even by the end of July. Photographers and videographers make business decisions based upon new arrivals and I chose to sell something early to stay ahead of the game. In the future, I wish Canon would announce something with a large window (expected to start shipping April-October 2012). Why put a date on something if it means nothing and upsets their customers? I own many primes and will get by, but I wanted this lens for a trip in August and wanted the versatility. 

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
I do a lot of music stuff, and this used to be a problem with music software - they announce it, and announce a release date, then delay it, then delay it, then delay it...

It got so bad that companies do NOT announce a release date until the stuff is actually ready for release.  What Canon is doing is completely unprofessional.  It's something I would expect from a company run by high schoolers.

I'm all for waiting until the product is ready for release, but they really need to stop announcing release dates before they are ready.  To me, Canon release dates mean absolutely nothing anymore, especially with pro level items.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »
I'm all for waiting until the product is ready for release, but they really need to stop announcing release dates before they are ready.

Makes sense, but obviously Canon screwed up so badly that they stopped producing the 24-70mk1 with only the hope that the mk2 will be ready. So they resorted to salami tactics - what else should they do? Tell people to get a Tamron lens during this nearly half-year time period :-o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »

suman0102

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »
That's true. Apple has made the mistake of releasing some items too early with flaws. But so has Canon with their recent 5DIII and light peaking issue. These kinds of mistakes happen and are hard to foresee. But saying canon will announce a product very early and then continues with delay after delay does not settle well with me. What strikes me even more is the timing of their delays. It seems that they tend to make the delay apparent at the very last moment when people get their hopes up. Its like the friend who owes you money and says s/he'll pay it off next week. When next week comes around, he/she says they don't have it and will have it at another point in time. Its hard to rely on people/companies like that.

I guess I've been disappointed with canon lately and am venting more than I really should  ;D

Speaking of, 200-400! I'd love to see that lens in the shelves!

On the flip side of that, the first revisions of Apple products are sometimes known to have quality issues...  it's all a tradeoff between schedule, quality and managing expectations.  I do agree that Canon shouldn't announce a product months early (or years early like the 200-400mm), and they especially shouldn't discontinue the previous product months early.  That was a pretty boneheaded move on their part.

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
What is utterly absurd is the inability of Canon to stick to their own release dates... no one imposes those dates on them, they chose them, and then there is delay after delay!! On EVERY product! Just absurd!

Rafa.

This.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »