April 16, 2014, 11:01:21 AM

Author Topic: Should I get 7D now or wait for MKII?  (Read 10444 times)

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get 7D now or wait for MKII?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and new to Photography. I've always loved taking pictures of landscape,cars,people, and just random stuff. Lol So I decided that it's time for me to grab a decent DSLR.

I'm completely new to DSLR's and photography. Still doing a lot of reading and learning on which camera I should go with. Based on the stuff I've read and learned I'm leaning towards getting the 7D. But I'm concerned that when I get the 7D now couple of months later down the road the new rumored 7D MKII comes out.

So my question is should I wait for the 7D MKII (why?) or I should just get the 7D?

There is no guarantee from Canon that there will even be a 7DmkII - nobody really knows.  It is also anyone's guess when Canon plans to introduce a new APS-C sensor.

What would interest me is why you particularly want the 7D?  If you don't have specific needs to shoot sports or to use the camera in an environment where a sealed body and lenses are needed, you could look at a 60D, which has the same sensor, or even a 650D.  I would possibly rather put the difference in price between the 7D and the 60D into a good lens, which will possibly yield a better return than a higher end body.

The reason I want the 7D over the 60D/650D is because of its weather sealing and also its faster. My family travels a lot thats why I want the rigid and weather sealed body of the 7D.

The things I want to take pictures of are landscape, fast moving things (cars going around the track), and just random stuff. lol its mostly going to be cars and landscape.

As far as Lenses go I'm not quite sure of what I need for the stuff I want to shoot. I do plan on upgrading to a 5D later on just not sure when tho.

forget weather sealing; you should buy weather sealed lenses too

lenses you have to get
sigma 8-16 for landscapes
sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS as all-around lens
canon 70-200 f/4 is or a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 os as tele
sigma 50 f/1.4 for particular low light

kidding of course...they would costs several thousands $$$

start with a fast 17-XX with optical stabilization (this will be the lens you wont change before the switch to ff) then take your time to decide
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »

Fr3lncr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
I'm happy with my 7D.  I had bought the 5DMKII and returned it (wasn't for me).  I still plan on upgrading to full frame eventually, but in the interim my kit keeps me going.

For traveling, I get by with the 7D, 24-105 and the 10-22.  I can fit them all in a relatively small bag.  The 24-105 is used most often (say 80%) and the 10-22 the rest of the time.

I have a 70-200 2.8 (non IS) for the telephoto stuff.  I don't do too much of that since the lens is really big and heavy and I don't much care for lugging it around with everything else when you are out on your feet for 8-10 hours. 

I have a 50 1.4 (never use it but it is a staple) and just bought the 40mm which I still haven't tried yet.

The one nice advantage though of say, getting a 5DMKII is getting it with the 24-105 and, at least for me, that would do me for 90% of the type of shots I would take and would save having to carry around an additional lens.

GEEo

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
I'm happy with my 7D.  I had bought the 5DMKII and returned it (wasn't for me).  I still plan on upgrading to full frame eventually, but in the interim my kit keeps me going.

For traveling, I get by with the 7D, 24-105 and the 10-22.  I can fit them all in a relatively small bag.  The 24-105 is used most often (say 80%) and the 10-22 the rest of the time.

I have a 70-200 2.8 (non IS) for the telephoto stuff.  I don't do too much of that since the lens is really big and heavy and I don't much care for lugging it around with everything else when you are out on your feet for 8-10 hours. 

I have a 50 1.4 (never use it but it is a staple) and just bought the 40mm which I still haven't tried yet.

The one nice advantage though of say, getting a 5DMKII is getting it with the 24-105 and, at least for me, that would do me for 90% of the type of shots I would take and would save having to carry around an additional lens.

do you loose something by using the L lens on a crop body?

the lenses you have are the same lenses I plan on having down the road! :D

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

You lose a large portion of the field of view from the lens. Thats why FF doesn't have a "crop factor".
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

You lose a large portion of the field of view from the lens. Thats why FF doesn't have a "crop factor".
That's any lens, not just L lenses.

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and new to Photography. I've always loved taking pictures of landscape,cars,people, and just random stuff. Lol So I decided that it's time for me to grab a decent DSLR.

I'm completely new to DSLR's and photography. Still doing a lot of reading and learning on which camera I should go with. Based on the stuff I've read and learned I'm leaning towards getting the 7D. But I'm concerned that when I get the 7D now couple of months later down the road the new rumored 7D MKII comes out.

So my question is should I wait for the 7D MKII (why?) or I should just get the 7D?

There is no guarantee from Canon that there will even be a 7DmkII - nobody really knows.  It is also anyone's guess when Canon plans to introduce a new APS-C sensor.

What would interest me is why you particularly want the 7D?  If you don't have specific needs to shoot sports or to use the camera in an environment where a sealed body and lenses are needed, you could look at a 60D, which has the same sensor, or even a 650D.  I would possibly rather put the difference in price between the 7D and the 60D into a good lens, which will possibly yield a better return than a higher end body.

The reason I want the 7D over the 60D/650D is because of its weather sealing and also its faster. My family travels a lot thats why I want the rigid and weather sealed body of the 7D.

The things I want to take pictures of are landscape, fast moving things (cars going around the track), and just random stuff. lol its mostly going to be cars and landscape.

As far as Lenses go I'm not quite sure of what I need for the stuff I want to shoot. I do plan on upgrading to a 5D later on just not sure when tho.

Then by all means, The 7D is the body for you then as the MK2's AF isn't quite as good. Just pick up a 10-22mm as well. A very good lens.

I plan on buying that lens also the 17-55.

or should I be getting L lenses instead? I do plan on upgrading later on on a 5D body but not for the next 2 yrs. or so.
Since you're planning on going full frame so soon, I would minimize the EF-S lenses as they won't work on that FF camera and you'll be buying lenses again at the same time you're buying the FF camera. You pretty much have to go EF-S to get the ultra wide range (10-22), but your other lenses you can make do with EF lenses such as the 24-105 (though 24 isn't very wide on a crop).

briansquibb

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
You pretty much have to go EF-S to get the ultra wide range (10-22), but your other lenses you can make do with EF lenses such as the 24-105 (though 24 isn't very wide on a crop).

For ff there is:

14mm
16-35

Plus of course the 8-15 fisheye.

AF-C has no advantage over ff for ultra wide lens

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
You pretty much have to go EF-S to get the ultra wide range (10-22), but your other lenses you can make do with EF lenses such as the 24-105 (though 24 isn't very wide on a crop).

For ff there is:

14mm
16-35

Plus of course the 8-15 fisheye.

AF-C has no advantage over ff for ultra wide lens
What I meant was, for him to have ultra wide on the 7D, he would need an EF-S lens. Of course, once he gets a FF camera, he'll have to replace that lens. In other words, the 14 and 16-35 are not ultrawide on the 7D because of the loss of the FOV.

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
I do plan on upgrading later on on a 5D body but not for the next 2 yrs. or so.
Start in the right place then.

For what it's worth, I do a bit of landscapes, and don't feel the need for ultra-wide lenses (my widest is a 17mm lens which comes out to somewhere around the same field of view as a 24mm lens on full frame).  There's nothing wrong with buying full frame lenses for a crop, as long as they are relatively newer or well-respected models.  The APS-C crop factor is a help with reach.  I'm three years into shooting and all of my lenses are full-frame compatible, but I won't switch mainly because the wider FOV would throw me for a loop (considerably less pixel density too).

The 7D is fine for landscapes, since you'll want to shoot at ISO 200 at most in most landscapes.

By the time two years have passed, we ought to be closer to a 7D replacement or a cheap full frame camera (possibly both will have been released by that time) and low-light performance closer to the new full frame cameras (cleaner images at higher ISOs will be very welcome).

VASH1291

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »

Just keep in mind that for the weather sealing to work effectively you also need weather sealed lenses or water could leak into the mirror box.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
The weather sealing will keep the camera controls dry, and that's probably most important.  For the camera mount, the prism box overhang should shield that a bit as well.  If you need more, you can always put together a bag over the lens.  Wear a wide-brimmed hat if you're still unsure.  Unless you really require absolute reliability and seek to either shoot in rain or keep shooting when it rains, I wouldn't call it a big deal.

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

Good grief.... Go buy a camera and make some images.  Or better yet.... I heard the 7D Mark III will be out in 5-6 years... maybe wait for that??

Sorry.  Don't mean to be rude but this thread seems to get started once a week.  Everyone gets too fixated on whats going to come out.  So if the 7DII comes out in a year does that render the 7D obsolete?  Are the 40D and 50D no longer good cameras?  Will my Rebel XSI no longer take images worth keeping now that there have been several generations of rebel since 2008?

My advice to you:  Go buy a decent camera (7D is great) and use your spare funds to buy some lenses and go explore the world of dSLR photography.  And have tons and tons of fun doing it!  Best of luck with whatever setup you decide on.  Enjoy!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

tphillips63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
My suggestion is get the 7D now with a used 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  They are available for a great price on the used market, even though a lot are like new because of kit bundles.

Then use it as much as you can and figure out what you would like to shoot that you cannot with that combination.

You'll need or want a strobe(s) and memory card(s), maybe an extra battery on hand, case, tripod, filters, grip, etc., so the price beyond 'just' the body and lens can get quite high.
EOS 5D Mk III | EF 16-35/2.8L  | EF 24-105/4L IS | EF 70-200/2.8L II IS | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 40/f2.8 P | EF 50/1.2L | EF 180/3.5L | 600EX RT |

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
Sorry.  Don't mean to be rude but this thread seems to get started once a week.  Everyone gets too fixated on whats going to come out.  So if the 7DII comes out in a year does that render the 7D obsolete?  Are the 40D and 50D no longer good cameras?  Will my Rebel XSI no longer take images worth keeping now that there have been several generations of rebel since 2008?

Totally agree - I have a collection of old DSLRs - and without exception all give good pictures. Not bad when the oldest is 2001.

The real killers are the 2004 5D and 1DS2 - still deliver IQ to compete with the current models. They not have the bells and whistles or high iso, but for their cost you get a capable camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »