July 31, 2014, 05:29:07 AM

Author Topic: Should I get 7D now or wait for MKII?  (Read 11147 times)

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get 7D now or wait for MKII?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
The 7D is a good camera. I use it for sports and landscape icw 70-300mm L (weather sealed) You can add the Tokina 11-16mm for landscape or the Canon 10-22mm
And, for portraits - for the start - buy the 50 f/1.8

The 70-300L is the most expensive out of those 3. But, will keep you going once you move to FF
The Tokina and the Canon have good market value and you can sell them for a good price once you move to FF

The 50 f/1.8 works on FF but for about 250 dollar more (you might save some money in the meantime) you can buy the Canon 50mm f/1.4 or spent a little more and buy the Sigma 50mm f/1.4
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:25:29 PM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
get the camera/lens that fits your need and budget today and don't worry about a future "what if".  Since you are going to have an APS C go ahead and take advantage of the lower prices on EFS lenses vs L, both the 10-22 and 17-55 2.8 are great choices.  Both will hold their value very well so if you happen to go FF in a few years you can sell them for what essentially amounts to a long term rental fee.  Personally I have held onto my 17-55 because it's just that good and when paired with a t3i it is a great lightweight travel option and full time camera for my better half. 

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »
get the camera/lens that fits your need and budget today and don't worry about a future "what if".  Since you are going to have an APS C go ahead and take advantage of the lower prices on EFS lenses vs L, both the 10-22 and 17-55 2.8 are great choices.  Both will hold their value very well so if you happen to go FF in a few years you can sell them for what essentially amounts to a long term rental fee.  Personally I have held onto my 17-55 because it's just that good and when paired with a t3i it is a great lightweight travel option and full time camera for my better half.

When I had a 7D, that 60mm EF-S lens was SHARP!  Yes I agree, buy now for what you need then sell.  That does not mean buy all cheaper EF-S lenses.  I would personally get the 10-22 and then when I went FF, keep the APS-C camera as backup if you can afford it.  If not, sell the camera and the lens for a good percentage of original price if you take care of it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

GEEo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice guys!! much appreciated!!

I don't think I'm gonna wait for the 7D MKII anymore. lol

Gonna be picking up the 7D in a week or so.  ;D

really looking forward getting into Photography! :D

Trovador

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photography Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
7D is great! go for it no questions asked.  New firmaware coming out in a month adds even more functionality.  As others suggested I would highly recommend getting the 10-22, it's the lens I use most of the time.  Since you're planning to eventualy go FF, try to get EF lenses so you don't have to sell a lot of lenses later on, just the 10-22 which is EF-S.  Good luck.
Canon 6D+7D; 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS, 50 1.4, 100L 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye
www.ruddyflorentino.com

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
personally i think that recent large firmware update is the 7dmk2.

SteenerMe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
7D is a great camera. 10-22 yes. 17-55 no. Its a dust magnet and poorly sealed. Pics are nice though. With that wide angle a better choice would be the 24-105L. Much wider range. Sealed. Pro. And cheaper. And when you go FF its perfect.
5DIII, 7D, 8-15L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 50L, 100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice guys!! much appreciated!!

I don't think I'm gonna wait for the 7D MKII anymore. lol

Gonna be picking up the 7D in a week or so.  ;D

really looking forward getting into Photography! :D

Congratulations!!!

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »
My recommendation is for you to get a Canon 7D.  I have the Canon 7D for a few years now, and I love the camera. It's a powerful, flexible tool- capable of capturing a variety of quality photos.  I upgraded from a Canon 350D (my first DSLR).  8)

The Canon 7D is certainly a much superior camera than any 'Rebel' / beginner or entry level camera. I also find the 7D more intuitive and powerful enough to still be a great 'current buy' (eg liveview, powerful AF, frame rate, etc).

It's a great handling camera. Sure, pixel peeping will show it hasn't got the lowest ISO of any camera, but really - for most photography, it's still good and very capable of superb photos. The upcoming firmware will add some functionality too.   ;)

While some people say "you need a full frame (FF) camera to capture high quality images" - this is absolutely not true. Many current APS-C cameras have quality that is far beyond what the people who own them can get out of them.  I will not argue that the latest FF cameras have superior image quality... but the difference is often very hard to perceive at normal viewing levels.  And yes, I've used a Canon 5DmkIII... to compare make this statement.   ::)

My lenses (wide to tele):
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM EX
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM
Canon EF 70-300mm L f/4-5.6 IS USM

The only lens that I feel like I'm still 'waiting for' is a new Canon EF 50mm USM fast prime. I previously had the Canon 50mm f/1.8, but the bokeh or focussing was not up to my standards. I previously had a good copy of the Canon 28-135mm which had decent image quality. But I sold this when I  bought the Canon 15-85mm, as the 15-85mm is much more suited to an APS-C (1.6x crop) DSLR, providing a 35mm focal length equivalent 24mm - 135mm. Additionally the Canon 15-85 has superior overall image quality, and is my main 'go to lens'.   :)

A few other considerations for my recommendation for you to start with an APS-C camera, and consider lenses like I have above.
  1) the fact that APS-C cameras often get better corner to corner sharpness of many lenses (I like this... it almost means that getting the same sharpness corner to corner requires less expensive lenses, or more flexible lens options).
  2) I obtain 'greater reach' at the tele-end, (ok, due to higher pixel density on the 7D than any FF camera) - particularly on my 70-300mm L (which gets me to a 480mm equivalent!)

Other accessories I have and use frequently, which you might like to consider:
Lowepro shoulder bag (for camera and 2 lenses)
Lowepro backpack (holding 1 DSLR and all my lenses)
a sturdy, portable Manfrotto tripod
Nissin DI866mkII flash (compatible with Canon 7D, half price of Canon's 580EXII)
Hahnel wireless remote (also functions as an intervalmeter)

I hope this helps.  For sure, if you feel that you NEED to go full frame in the future, then do (if you can justify / afford the expense of course).   But... I know many people who own APS-C cameras with good lenses (good glass is the most important) - and obtain great photos.   :D

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

Otter

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
I would say definitely get it now.  There hasn't even been any solid rumors about a 7D MKII, so you won't be seeing that camera anytime soon.  Get a lightly used 7D, shoot the heck out of it now and when of if the mkII comes out, sell it and take a small loss, if any.  The 5d MKIII didn't affect the MKII used sales like everyone thought they would, that would probably hold true for the 7D as well.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
The only thing the 7D won't do is do well in low light.  Daytime shots, or with a flash indoors, you're fine.  Afterall, the 7D is THE best APS-C sensor camera Canon sells at this time.  I really liked the AF went I had mine.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »
The only thing the 7D won't do is do well in low light.  Daytime shots, or with a flash indoors, you're fine.  Afterall, the 7D is THE best APS-C sensor camera Canon sells at this time.  I really liked the AF went I had mine.

I agree - 7D at low ISO and no crop gives a good image

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »

Lol I've cropped ISO 3200 Pictures on my 7D. 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

Lol I've cropped ISO 3200 Pictures on my 7D. 8)

I said it gives good images.

But not as good as the 1DS3 or the 5D2 at iso 400. At iso 3200 very definitely not.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and new to Photography. I've always loved taking pictures of landscape,cars,people, and just random stuff. Lol So I decided that it's time for me to grab a decent DSLR.

I'm completely new to DSLR's and photography. Still doing a lot of reading and learning on which camera I should go with. Based on the stuff I've read and learned I'm leaning towards getting the 7D. But I'm concerned that when I get the 7D now couple of months later down the road the new rumored 7D MKII comes out.

So my question is should I wait for the 7D MKII (why?) or I should just get the 7D?

based on your requirements and the fact you are not invested in anything particular

I would recommend either just get a 600D exact same sensor as 7D and tons cheaper will give you the same landscape or people shots then get better glass if you really want to go canon

and keep saving for if the 7DII eventually does come about but for what a 7D costs not much more money will get you a 5Dmk2

Unless you are heavily into shoorting action and sport the 7D really has no benefit over a 600D or 5Dmk2 which kill it on price and image quality respectively

or

go for a nikon D3200 and again some of their good glass
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »