October 30, 2014, 12:12:22 PM

Author Topic: Argh! Photos don't look like 7D photos.  (Read 6335 times)

infilm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Argh! Photos don't look like 7D photos.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
These people aren't really bringing up the only real factor here. Yes, editing helps, but you shouldn't have to do any real serious editing to any great natural light portraits.

The real issue here is light.

The first image is shot under much higher sun, it's harder light, and can easily wash colors out because it's on a higher angle and generally looks bad if you don't know how to use it.

The second image, the one you seem to like, was shot indoors, under lower ambient, where it's softer, and coming from "all over" as opposed to from one specific angle up in the sky.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the editing will make the difference, it might HELP fix problems, but if you shoot it really well, you shouldn't have to do much editing at all. If it was all done really well in the camera, then the very minor things will help get an over all better image like white balance.
Well said... Shooting mid-day is almost always going to give poor results when shooting portraits. The hardness of the sun when overhead is difficult to deal with. Try shooting in the early morning or very late afternoon. The sun can then either be a backlight or a key light you'll have much better results.
Canon 7D gripped - 5D2 gripped - 16-35 f2.8l - 24-70 f2.8l - 70-200 f.2.8 IS l - 35 f1.4l - 50 f1.2l - 85 f1.2 l - 135 f2 l - 300 f4 l Tokina 10-17 Fisheye - 580EX II - And not much drive space left on my computer...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »

photophreek

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
As a former wedding photographer with no studio and formal shots were always done in a park setting, fill flash, not PP, was the way to fix these problems.  The first image was shot with the subject facing the sun and that's why he's squinting.  The one with the shadows can be fixed with fill flash.

As was previously recommended, try to have the sun behind the subject.  Invest in a good ambient light meter and measure the light falling on the subject's face and adjust the camera settings accordingly.  The fill should be set at a 3:1 ratio.  In other words, the fill should be set at 1.5 - 2 stops less than the metered setting. 

You mentioned that you have the 320ex.  I have this flash and it's output is very harsh.  Before using it for fill, I'd do some tests with it to get the right ratio because of it's harshness.  I'd guess that the fill setting for the 320ex would be 1/2 a stop more.  Failing that, use the popup flash for fill.  It works really well and you can quickly adjust, test and adjust again to see what the best setting is.  You want to use fill so that it picks up the shadows and doesn't look like a flash has been fired. 

Forget about reflectors and get good at positioning your subjects knowing where the sun is and using fill lash and your outdoor portraits will look better.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:36:02 PM by photophreek »

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »
As was previously recommended, try to have the sun behind the subject.

I think what photophreek meant to say was try to have the sun behind the you (the photographer) so your subjects are facing the sun and have more even lighting on their face.

Unless I am wrong with this assumption and photophreek was suggesting backlighting to produce a nice rim-light effect around your subject...  Much harder to pull off though... :o

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
Having the sun behind the photographer will make the subject squint

AdamJ

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
Having a tower apparently protruding from the head of one of your subjects doesn't help the composition.  ;)

SandyP

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
You can still get the sun in front of the subject and not have them squint, but only for a few shots, and with practice. You ask them to close their eyes, get them in their pose/how you want them, and then ask them to open their eyes normally. You take the photo, very quickly. Instantly. It works very well, but of course some people just can't handle it if it's TOO bright.

So, use open shade. Look for dappled light. You can indeed use the sun facing them, but you have to be far picker about it. Plus, you can always turn them away from the sun, and at least have their face be in shadow profile now.

I just took this of my girlfriend, testing out a new film camera, as we went shopping in a popular part of the city. Just a candid shot really, but it shows that by easily turning them away from the sun, you can get nice/basic/easy results. And no editing. I don't "edit" my film photos. Purity is fun, sometimes. :)

Good evening, square. by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

Same thing here, the sun is mostly to her side, but by using the cover of these cherry blossom trees, we are getting a very small area of shade, and you can always be tricky with your shooting this way. More film, and no edits on these. Another reason I love me some film shootin! :)

Kirsten. Blossom. by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

Both of those examples were in very harsh light, similar to what the original poster of this topic was complaining about. Yes, it can be harsh, and annoying, but when it's beaming that sunshine out, I like to wait, if I can, or plan to use it wisely to get good results.

Or you can just get creative with the hard light and use shadows in other neat ways... :)

Avery by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

There are always options. You need to "find the light".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »