October 20, 2014, 09:34:17 PM

Author Topic: 5D3, 1D5 and 1Ds4 Timeline [CR1]  (Read 30042 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D3, 1D5 and 1Ds4 Timeline [CR1]
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »

Lots of variables.

There is lots of stuff flooding in about the 5D3, 1Ds4 and 1D5.

1D Mark V

It’s been said before, but a new 1D in 2011. Announced in the June/July timeframe. Full frame this time around.

5D Mark III

I received 2 different announcement dates. September timeframe and in the 28mp range from a decent source and 30mp and June from an unknown source.

1Ds Mark IV

Another person in the camp of the 1Ds4 being in 2012. 40+ mp and announced in very late 2011 or early 2012. The gist of the comment was the “1Ds” moniker will be discontinued.

CR’s Take

Stuff is starting to flow in again, there will be some truths buried in all of it. A camera announcement of some kind is on the near horizon. As always, I’ll keep digging.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D3, 1D5 and 1Ds4 Timeline [CR1]
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »

DetlevCM

Re: 5D3, 1D5 and 1Ds4 Timeline [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
A 1D will full frame might not get the respsonse Canon wants - there is an advantage to a smaller sensor in a sports camera, the reduced field of view gives you the perception of more reach and thus allows you to use smaller lenses.

The downside - greater depth of field, although with sports that is possibly less of an issue.

If the 1D does become FF I wonder if Canon has any mad tricks up their sleeve - a sensor which could switch between crop & FF would be nice if both will supply the same resolution.
(Can be done -> crop needs to have a higher pixel density and this needs to be calculated down for FF operations)

But I suppose the best answer here is wait an see.

On the 1Ds - if they discontinue it, which camera will carry forward the excellent weather sealing? The 5D MK something could do it, but this would increase the price which would make it unreachable for many that shoot with it now.
So if they do get rid of it, I really hope they replace it with another line.

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
It’s been said before, but a new 1D in 2011. Announced in the June/July timeframe. Full frame this time around.

I think FF in the next 1D is inevitable. The only possible way to add more sensitivity (aren't we talking about sports cameras?)/image quality is to increase the light capture area. I fail to see Canon adding even more pixels to 1.3x area at this point. The 1.3x crop WAS a good balance, not anymore.

Justin

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »
The 1Ds is overdue. The 5D3 is due. The 1D5 is not due. These release/lifecycle discrepancies signal Canon is changing a lot more than we imagine.

I think we can expect the unexpected. The question Canon should be answering is: What do photographers want from a new camera? or Two. Probably not three.

Apart from focusing on what existing Canon customers need and want, Canon should be expanding into new markets for new customers.

Smaller format and larger format spring to mind.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
Is anyone else not happy about Canon packing more mega-pixels in?

Low light / high ISO performance is way more important to me than adding (what are in most cases) superfluous pixels.

DetlevCM

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »

Low light / high ISO performance is way more important to me than adding (what are in most cases) superfluous pixels.

Then scale down your images in post processing.

-> You get more per pixel noise with smaller pixels, yes, but not overall more noise.
Scale down your images and you have your 1MP noise free solution.

armando

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
I just bought the 5d Mk II, the only limitation i see is I wish I could use every lens like the ef-s and the other lens like from sigma the DC line with the camera >.< other than, honestly these images are delicious and at the top of the game in quality, more mp? don't need that, and honestly I don't think we will see a 5d mk III for 2 more years :) or even more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: How will this work ...
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
amidst of this ongoing desasterous situation in Japan?

Or are there any production plants in other asian countries?
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

DetlevCM

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
I just bought the 5d Mk II, the only limitation i see is I wish I could use every lens like the ef-s and the other lens like from sigma the DC line with the camera >.< other than, honestly these images are delicious and at the top of the game in quality, more mp? don't need that, and honestly I don't think we will see a 5d mk III for 2 more years :) or even more.

For some lenses you can do it -> remove the rubber ring at the end BUT beware, as for most EF-S lenses the lens potrudes into the camera and the mirror would hit the lens resulting in costly damage.
If you have a lens designed for APS-C (e.g. Tamron 17-50) that uses an EF mount you can use it on a 5D MK II without any issues and crop the image accordingly.

DetlevCM

Re: How will this work ...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:10 PM »
amidst of this ongoing desasterous situation in Japan?

Or are there any production plants in other asian countries?

Production and Presentation of 2 models are two different things.

Also, design and development takes time - what they present now would have been worked on months ago.
What will suffer though is availability.

And production - I think some of the Rebels are made in Taiwan.

Bob Howland

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:46 PM »

-> You get more per pixel noise with smaller pixels, yes, but not overall more noise.

You might want to tell that to these people.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m41#Features

Click on "Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor"

DetlevCM

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m41#Features

It is much easier to scale down images than video.
Edit:
It's also easier to record data from fewer pixels than from many - bandwidth was one of the issues at the time of the 5D MK II's release, nowadays the technology for transferring more data is available.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks Detlev CM
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
for your kind information!
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Thanks Detlev CM
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »

Bob Howland

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »

Edit:
It's also easier to record data from fewer pixels than from many - bandwidth was one of the issues at the time of the 5D MK II's release, nowadays the technology for transferring more data is available.

It seems that bandwidth is still very much an issue, judging from what Red does to get high resolution images from the Epic, from what Canon requires of CF cards used in the XF100/105/300/305 camcorders and from the amount of compression used for AVCHD videos.

More pertinent is the fact that the sensor in the Canon M40/41/400 camcorders is larger than the sensors of the their predecessors or their competitors. Still, Canon seems to be doing an about-face in preferring fewer but larger pixels in some of their recent introductions.

DetlevCM

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »

Edit:

It seems that bandwidth is still very much an issue, judging from what Red does to get high resolution images from the Epic, from what Canon requires of CF cards used in the XF100/105/300/305 camcorders and from the amount of compression used for AVCHD videos.

More pertinent is the fact that the sensor in the Canon M40/41/400 camcorders is larger than the sensors of the their predecessors or their competitors. Still, Canon seems to be doing an about-face in preferring fewer but larger pixels in some of their recent introductions.

But it is still video and not stills ;)
You are forgetting that DSLRs are predominantly about still images an stills photography.
Yes, there is a saturation point, but it hasn't been reached yet.

Canon also produced a 130MP APS-H sensor -> so they have the technology for more.

We'll have to see.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »