October 21, 2014, 01:50:07 PM

Author Topic: 5D3, 1D5 and 1Ds4 Timeline [CR1]  (Read 30046 times)

DetlevCM

Re: 5D3, 1D5 and 1Ds4 Timeline [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
So wait a second, you can carry at least 4kg of camera gear, possibly more but can't carry at least a netbook and some HDDs? -> 2 ideally for backup.

Well, unfortunately I don't have a netbook.  My Macbook Pro weighs at least 6 lbs, and I use Aperture, so I can't buy a cheap windows netbook (assuming I want to use the netbook for more than just a conduit to save files).  If I take my current laptop with an external HD, I'm more than doubling my backpack's weight.

Shouldn't have bought a Mac then :) my laptop (NOT netbook) weighs 1,73kg + maybe 300g for the power brick, is now soon 3 years old and handles my 5D MK II's RAW files in Adobe Photoshop CS4 without an issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »

EELinneman

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
Chewy,

I'd recommend you look at bootcamp or perhaps VMWare's fusion.  I bootcamped my Macbook Pro and the response under windows 7 is impressive.  You have to give up some disk space, but I now keep photos on a small portable USB drive.

What I'd like rather than more pixels in the 5DIII is greater dynamic range and less noise at higher ISO.  I have friends who shoot Nikon and have less noise than the Canon.  I'd also like to have a better AF like the Nikon has.  Donning my fireproof suit now!  LOL

DetlevCM

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
Chewy,

I'd recommend you look at bootcamp or perhaps VMWare's fusion.  I bootcamped my Macbook Pro and the response under windows 7 is impressive.  You have to give up some disk space, but I now keep photos on a small portable USB drive.

What I'd like rather than more pixels in the 5DIII is greater dynamic range and less noise at higher ISO.  I have friends who shoot Nikon and have less noise than the Canon.  I'd also like to have a better AF like the Nikon has.  Donning my fireproof suit now!  LOL

Less noise... -> less noise at the per pixel level, try scaling up or scaling down and then compared images.
On that note, if you can, I'm sure you could cook up a nice comparison as you have access to the cameras.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
But for me, if I'm going on a 2 week vacation with my camera, you're looking at only ~650 of those RAW files on a 16gb card, max.  I usually don't take my laptop, and even if I do, that means I'll need to also take an external hard-drive along with it?  Many times it's just not practical.

On my most recent trip, I took along some USB thumb drives for image backup.  Imation makes a 64 GB thumb drive that's about the size of a AA battery, and three of those were enough for backups of 2 weeks worth of 5DII images (one copy on the internal drive and one copy on a USB thumb drive so I could re-use the CF cards if necessary).  I also had along a 96GB ExpressCard SSD, in case I needed more space.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Bob Howland

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
Chewy,

Less noise... -> less noise at the per pixel level, try scaling up or scaling down and then compared images.
On that note, if you can, I'm sure you could cook up a nice comparison as you have access to the cameras.

You could always use the still life scene from Imaging Resource, normalized for the same resolution. Pay particular attention to the black velvet cloth and black cup in the lower right, the shadows behind the bottles and the detail and color in the threads along the upper right. On my 23", 1680x1050 monitor, a horizontal image viewed at 40% is roughly the same size as a 12"x16" print.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:56:56 PM by Bob Howland »

DetlevCM

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Chewy,

You could always use the still life scene from Imaging Resource, normalized for the same resolution. Pay particular attention to the black velvet cloth and black cup in the lower right, the shadows behind the bottles and the detail and color in the threads along the upper right. On my 23", 1680x1050 monitor, a horizontal image viewed at 40% is roughly the same size as a 12"x16" print.

You know, a link would help :)

Bob Howland

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
Chewy,

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You can download the raw images if you start from the camera review. At ISO12,800+, images need a LOT of noise reduction.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »

DetlevCM

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
Chewy,

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You can download the raw images if you start from the camera review. At ISO12,800+, images need a LOT of noise reduction.

Thanks for the link :)

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Sadly I still have a 20D, so I don't think I'll be able to hook up any USB devices directly to it.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Sadly I still have a 20D, so I don't think I'll be able to hook up any USB devices directly to it.

With a 20D, you can save a lot more images to a given size CF card, so a 16GB Card might be overkill.

Certainly, a photographer should have more than one flash card if going on vacation and wanting to take lots of images.  If a card fails, they could be out of luck because they didn't buy a spare or two.  8GB cards are pretty cheap right now. I would take several cards, so if one died, I'd still have images on the other two or three.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
With a 20D, you can save a lot more images to a given size CF card, so a 16GB Card might be overkill.

Certainly, a photographer should have more than one flash card if going on vacation and wanting to take lots of images.  If a card fails, they could be out of luck because they didn't buy a spare or two.  8GB cards are pretty cheap right now. I would take several cards, so if one died, I'd still have images on the other two or three.

Yeah, I agree.  That's what I do.  I was just referring to the situation with a much larger MP count like the proposed 28+ MP 5D3.

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
Just want to point out that now some European airline limits the carry on weight to be 8 Kg (17.5 lbs).  The camera gear alone will be that much weight. There is no allowance left for lap top, power supply, external hard drive etc.  A bunch of high capacity CF card (or SD card) is the best way to go, reguardless  what camera system that you have.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:10:19 PM by Rocky »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
[Yeah, I agree.  That's what I do.  I was just referring to the situation with a much larger MP count like the proposed 28+ MP 5D3.

A larger sensor will likely cause me to get a couple more 16GB cards.  I tend to avoid the really big ones, so a loss of a card doesn't lose everything.  Of course, my 1D MK III makes a backup to the SD card, so loss there is very unlikely.

I'd like that feature in a new camera, but I've yet to lose any images, so it will only become a big issue on the day I lose them. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »

DetlevCM

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Just want to point out that now some European airline limits the carry on weight to be 8 Kg (17.5 lbs).  The camera gear alone will be that much weight. There is no allowance left for lap top, power supply, external hard drive etc.  A bunch of high capacity CF card (or SD card) is the best way to go, reguardless  what camera system that you have.

Which isn't an issue with a reputable airline.

I think I once had 11 or even 12kg of hand luggage + the full checked in allowance and nobody complained, I'm flying Lufthansa by the way.
-> Also, if you read the Lufthansa terms closely, it says 6kg or 2kg more with a laptop, and a small camera, and, and, and... so that you sort of think that they will not complain if you put anything expensive in your hand luggage.
-> And the cheaper stuff can obviously wonder into the main luggage (e.g. cables)

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:54 AM »

Which isn't an issue with a reputable airline.

Have you  ever flown  a three letter airline started with 'S" that is based in northern Europe?? It spell out clearly as one peice of carry on with weight limit of 8 Kg. This airline is just as reputable as Lufthansa. Did you  check the web site of Lufthansa lately??? It also have the same limit without additional allowance for lap top or camera. You got through without problem may be due to: 1. you are lucky, 2. you did not fly recently. But we should not bet on our luck all the time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:54 AM »