July 28, 2014, 01:16:16 AM

Author Topic: 1dx a compromise?  (Read 4916 times)

Aldo

1dx a compromise?
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »
I don't have a 1dx in hand but will once readily available. I shoot landscapes, wildlife and commercial. Keeping all the pre marketing hype, canon evangelists and ad supported magazine/website opinions a side. I really feel like the amalgamation of a 1d and a 1ds has ended up with a compromise for both camps rather than best of breed. For example lack of crop and f8 focusing on a long lens for wildlife and lack of resolution and DR for landscape. Especially so after seeing the quality of the exmoor sensor in the other camp. An opinion but am I alone in this thinking?

canon rumors FORUM

1dx a compromise?
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 1dx a compromise?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:07:17 AM »
I really feel like the amalgamation of a 1d and a 1ds has ended up with a compromise for both camps rather than best of breed.

Welcome to the real world, every camera body or lens is a compromise! Last not least, dumping aps-h into the obscurity of outdated tech won't be a commercial compromise for Canon because they will be selling more tc and big white red ring tele lenses for $10k+... esp. with the missing af @f8, though this could also simply be an engineering failure and not a Canon marketing ploy.

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:16:53 AM »
Even medium format digital's are a compromise. Do they handle as easily as the 1dx you mentioned? Hell no. Do they go to what you'd call high iso? Hell no. But they are brilliant at what they do regardless. Your half way is a leica S2... still a compromise in many ways, just not its cost!

I think the 1dx in comparison to the competition is pretty brilliant, compromise or not. In an ideal world we'd all have multiple different cameras for different things (being able to afford them too) to rid at least 90% of the compromise.

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:56:59 AM »
Your first post is hating on this site for them trying to make some money, the owner having a life and the quality of the pictures posted.  Your second post is hating on a flagship camera and stating that the main competition is better.  Go somewhere else.

I come here because I have a Canon (got a great deal without researching) and want to learn how to use it and dont want to sift through the "bla bla is better" when looking for advice on my hardware.  If you dont like the 1dX then buy something else.  I (and many others here) will just keep having fun with a hobby or profession while realizing that we are not designing these products, nor could we and keep the company afloat if we did with only our wisdom.  This whole Nikon/Canon thing is almost as bad as iPhone/Android or Mac/PC (of a while back).  Just shoot and have fun.  Not having fun, then get a new hobby/profession/brand and move on
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

robin

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »
  Just shoot and have fun.  Not having fun, then get a new hobby/profession/brand and move on

He has already got the "new hobby". Posting and having fun. That is what trolls do. So I say it again, DO NOT feed them!

briansquibb

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
The 1D4 was a compromise camera, therefore as its successor then it will also be a compromise camera. I dont see an issue about that.

The one thing it isn't is a 1DS3 update, regardless of the Canon brochures.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
The 1Dx is a stunning camera, and will be for the next 4 years. Wheres the compromise? 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
It's a pathetic, useless compromise.  Fortunately, I'm willing to step up and take one for the team.  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Shooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • JIm WIlson Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
I picked up my 1DX Friday and headed to my first assignment, a fast paced air show, to break it in. Looking at the results my first impressions are, this camera is no compromise. The auto focus is faster and more accurate than anything I have shot with up to this point. The buffer, using 32 gb 1000X cards at 1155 images each, just keeps on rocking. The camera is slightly heavier than my 1Ds III's but nicely balanced. BTW, the light I shot in was low contrast muted light, the kind AF has difficulty with, the "X" didn't break a sweat. My second one is due to arrive in a week to 10 days, and the third will be here in a month or so.

I feel like Canon did themselves a considerable disservice what with all the delays and disorganization, that aside, this is one heck of a camera any way you want to slice it. I shoot Canon and Nikon, so I think I can be pretty objective.
JW

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
That is what trolls do. So I say it again, DO NOT feed them!

I agree 100%. It seems that some people just come on here to stir up trouble. I bet if everyone ignores people like this and their posts they will simply go away.
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
Mate when you get one if you don't like it i will be surprised.

I shot along side a friend with the d800 - sure at low iso his images nice an punchy (when he can get a sharp image due to that massive mirror slap) but when we start hammering the isos - my iso 25K is clearer and cleaner then his iso 6400.

I shot a runway show on Friday: AV, auto iso, shutter locked to 1/250 shutter, f4. Shot mRaw (something the d800 really needs) shot over 1300 photos (and brought down the fps to 8) - every single shot was void of noise - every single shot was sharp and punchy - there was no need for colour correction, wb was spot on, exposure was insanely accurate - highlights were protected bar a few where the led lights blew out the models skin (easily fixable in post. The hardest thing I had to do was go through the shots and pick my favourites :)

And fyi there are no issue pushing 2ev without introducing read noise. I've pushed 4ev on a very underexposed image and come up with a perfectly useable image.

My mate with the d800 struggled to write to the cards let alone get more then a few frames off (4 fps is 10 years ago right?), the wb was off and there wasn't enough head room to be able to get clean shots off with shutter locked at 1/250.

Make no mistake, the sony sensors are great, but the DX sensor is exceptional. If you really need to push more then 2 ev then possibly stick with sony. But if Canon make a mega MP cam with this sensor they will have my money again.

The DX is no compromise. If anything it's major downfall is the -2ev focussing should have been specced up to -3ev. (and yes I have field tested it - the af drops off dead on -2ev where as the d800 keeps going to roughly -2.3ev)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:17:56 PM by Sycotek »

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
Regarding f8 AF. My 5D Mk III focuses like a champ @f/8 when using the Kenko 1.4 TC which lies to the body about the max aperture. So, the 1DX should be capable of doing the same.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
Regarding f8 AF. My 5D Mk III focuses like a champ @f/8 when using the Kenko 1.4 TC which lies to the body about the max aperture. So, the 1DX should be capable of doing the same.

Is this a DG or DGX one

I tried my 70-200 with stacked converters the canon 2x then the kenko on that between the 2x and the camera and it still reports f8 and wont AF my kenko 1.4 is the DGX gives proper AF and exif reporting I think the older ones were supposed to lie
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »

Is this a DG or DGX one

I tried my 70-200 with stacked converters the canon 2x then the kenko on that between the 2x and the camera and it still reports f8 and wont AF my kenko 1.4 is the DGX gives proper AF and exif reporting I think the older ones were supposed to lie

Latest and greatest DGX. Try with the Kenko closest to the body. I discussed this in detail starting with my first post on this page: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6319.45
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

Is this a DG or DGX one

Latest and greatest DGX. Try with the Kenko closest to the body. I discussed this in detail starting with my first post on this page: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6319.45

yep thats how I had it (wont fit the otherway round)
I'll play around with it again tonight
it'll be interesting if it works have you tried it on a 5Dmk2? does it AF too
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »