August 28, 2014, 07:06:52 AM

Author Topic: Unfair Dealers.  (Read 1805 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Unfair Dealers.
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
Have been monitoring the shipments of 1dx and 5d3 and the responses of sales people like "when you had ordered does not relate to where you stand on shipment queue." AND the BIG one "Our shipping queue is confidential."

All this points clearly to my mind that all is not fair and some people get their gear before others... Anytime anything is hidden, it has a reason to be hidden. Generally the reason is unfair.

There are some people who mention the dealer in their websites and promote them in other manners. Perhaps they get priority?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Unfair Dealers.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
All this points clearly to my mind that all is not fair and some people get their gear before others...

Of course... people who ordered it sooner will get it sooner.   You are basing what is likely a false conclusion on very limited evidence.  Speaking personally, those who ordered substantially earlier than I did seem to have tracking numbers.   Those who ordered a bit before I did or around the same time, or even a bit after, have various things to say, none of which amount to 'my order shipped'.  Mine states, "In stock, order sent to warehouse," but what if the warehouse runs out before they pack my order?

Yes, it would not surprise me that major review sites who purchase retail gear for their reviews would get some sort of priority - and I do think that is in everyone's best interest.  But do you really think that major retailers troll discussion boards and look for people who say negative things about them, match up those orders, and delay them?  Many people in Europe received their cameras before any US dealers even had them - is Canon also a part of your conspiracy theory?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
Certainly, some get Priority.  Why does this suprise you?  If you are a customer spending a million a year with a supplier, he is going to take care of you.
When you pre-order, you will never get to see who else pre-ordered, or even know how many.  The number of sales a dealer has is a very closely held figure.
Deal with a local dealer if you can, and get to know him.  Generally, small dealers will keep you informed because small dealers need the business very badly.
That said, I've ordered from Adorama many times over the years, and corresponded by e-mail with my rep.  He is always plesant and doesn't make promises he can't keep.  I tried a couple of orders with Amazon and gave up.  Now, I just buy locally unless its something only available at one of the big stores.
If you are having a problem with B&H, e-mail Henry Posner and he will try to help. http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/seven-steps-to-managing-your-online-reputation/
e-mail henryp[at]bhphoto.com
For Adorama, try Helen Oster, she is very helpful. e-mail   helen[at]adorama.com
But, do not expect them to tell you that you are number 124 of 8756 orders, or give you a delivery date when they do not know exactly when or how many cameras they will get.
There is no excuse however, for some of the rude responses, even though they are really tired of people asking for information they cannot supply.  Henry or Helen will be happy to remind those responsible of the need to be polite.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:23:28 AM »
I stand corrected then.

And yes, Helen is a super representative of Adorama.

I wanted to send a cheque towards the 1dx and explained to the salesman that my order should be considered valid only after the cheque is cleared. He refused.

I then contacted Helen and she got the job done! I do appreciate that a lot.

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »
I wanted to send a cheque towards the 1dx and explained to the salesman that my order should be considered valid only after the cheque is cleared.

Cheques.... heheh.. So 80's. Those haven't been used here since the late 80's... If someone would pay me with a cheque today, it would cost me 40euros to cash it in. (50USD approx.)
Thank goodness for internet banking.  ;D ;D

No offense to the writer, just finding it interesting that this legacy instrument is still a day-to-day occurrence for some. You learn something every day.  ;D :D
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
I know what you saying... :)
BUT I live outside USA. Tried making a transfer but BOA asked for my 'pin' which I do not have.
I just have a bank account in US without any ATM/Credit card.
So couriered them a cheque.
Wonder why it would cost them anything to encash... Hmmm.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
I know what you saying... :)
BUT I live outside USA. Tried making a transfer but BOA asked for my 'pin' which I do not have.
I just have a bank account in US without any ATM/Credit card.
So couriered them a cheque.
Wonder why it would cost them anything to encash... Hmmm.

US Banks are tacking on fees everywhere.  If a business processes large numbers of checks, there is a fee added on.  However, I expect that large businesses do not pay those fees, just small ones with little clout.
Most banks do not charge consumers a fee for depositing a check, but it you take it to a bank, watch out!  About 2 years ago, I sold a camera to a newspaper and they paid with a business check, as is still very common.  Normally, I'd just deposit it, but in this case, I took it to the issueing bank (Wells Fargo) and they charged me a fee to cash their own check.  I complained to the manager, but he would not back down.
I have nothing more to do with Wells Fargo.