Rumors > EOS Bodies

Looking for a second body

(1/4) > >>

HughHowey:
So many choices! I don't know where to begin. I have a T2i that I'm loving, but I want a better AF system and more control. I don't do a lot of video, so I'm just looking for the best camera to go with my lenses:

28mm 1.8
50mm 1.4
100mm Macro L IS
135 2 L

I also have two EF-S lenses:

15-85mm (love this lens)
55-250mm

I'm torn between getting a 7D soon or waiting for a 5DIII.

Pros that I can think of with the 7D:

I can use all my lenses. Sounds like the best crop camera on the market, Canon or otherwise. Does pretty much everything I want (remote flash triggering, focus adjustment for my primes)

Pros for the 5DIII:

Full frame! Get the most out of my 100mm and 135mm.
All the new features and goodies it is bound to have.
Better low light.

Cons for each:

I'm worried the 5DIII will be a lot more than the 5DII is right now. ~$3,500? Maybe?

I'm also worried I'll buy a 7D, which is two years old, and the 7DII will come out next year. I don't mind my equipment getting long in the tooth, but it's nice to have it a year without kicking your own pants. (I know this sounds whiny and pathetic, but I have to take my psychology into account, here).

Please, convince me either way, I beg you!

Macadameane:
Unless you are looking for the 8 fps speed of the 7D, I would go for the 5DmkIII.  In a two camera system, the T2i and 7D are too close.  The Full Frame camera will give you much more options and tag team better with your T2i

fotoray:
Depends on how long you're willing to wait for your second body.  With the difficulties in Japan, the 5D3 may not be available for quite a while.  The 7D is available now, but there won't be much of a price break, again because of the problems in Japan. Also, the 7D supply may dry up and/or the price will increase - possibly above original list price.

I agree that the 5D3 offers more diversity paired with your T2i, while the 7D is more similar.  I have a 7D and enjoy the 8 fps tracking my dog that loves to run. 

K3nt:
Got me a 7D about a month back! Haven't regretted it for a second.
I had the same concern like you, that a new model was just around the corner. Thank goodness I was reminded of the old law of electronics, no matter how new the gear, the second you walk out the shop with it a new model comes along to replace it.
I don't think we're going to see 7DmkII in the next 6-9 months. This is what I have deduced from surfing the intarwebz, certainly a mkII _will_ be released, no doubt, but it doesn't seem likely to happen tomorrow, or next week, or the week after.
In this case, there's no time like the present.

As the previous poster, I also use my camera to take pictures of my dogs playing / running and the 8fps is brilliant, just waiting to receive my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II in a week! YAY!

neuroanatomist:
Are you looking for a second body (i.e. you'd continue to use the T2i alongside whatever you buy), or are you looking to upgrade?  It matters, because the ergonomics and controls of the Rebel line are quite different from the higher end stuff - you'll soon find yourself reaching for the missing joystick or trying to spin the 4-button controller on the T2i, then realize it's not a quick control dial, and miss the shot.  Ultimately, you will end up not using the Rebel much, if at all.

If you're looking for an upgrade, the 7D is the cream of the crop (cameras).  AF is the best you'll find short of a 1-series.  The 5DII does have better AF than a Rebel, but not a lot better. 

The big con of the 5DIII is that it's not available now, and not for the near (and maybe far) future.  Also, with a FF body, you would then lack a general purpose zoom for that body. 

Either way, budget for new memory cards, too, since the 7D uses CF cards, not SD. 

Ultimately, I think it comes down to what you shoot the most.  If you shot a lot of action, sports, birds, wildlife, etc., the 7D is the way to go.  If you shoot a lot of landscapes, portraits, macro, etc., the 5DII is better in general, although in your case you'd have to alter your lens collection to suit FF.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version