October 02, 2014, 06:39:42 AM

Author Topic: The Bad News [CR2]  (Read 23950 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Bad News [CR2]
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »

Delays?

Not hearing a lot of positive things about current products and new products because of the Japanese earthquake.

The latest info I’ve received says all of Canon, Nikon and Sony are still unsure what the near future is going to bring.

Canon may be in fact delaying new product announcements. I was told every executive within Canon is being told to “prepare for the worst”. Sales reps are being told not to say anything.

I do not personally know anything about the rolling blackouts and “dead zone” expansion in Japan around Canon manufacturing facilities.

I’ve received no word whether or not Canon is looking at moving some manufacturing to different countries.

Pricing Rising

As  a lot of you have probably noticed, camera equipment is getting more expensive and disappearing from shelves. There’s lots of out of stock items around various stores.

A lot of retailers are getting or close to getting MSRP for camera stuff. This is not going to change quickly.

All rebate programs that were planned have been cancelled for the most part. I’m still looking around to see if any are still a go.

Recent Rumblings

I’m not sure what to make of recent product announcement rumblings, whether things have leaked because plans have changed.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Bad News [CR2]
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: The Bad News [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:48 AM »
And of course this will have an impact on the 2nd hand market too... it will be interesting to see what sort of prices turn up on ebay, craigslist, etc.

Also, if the major manufacturers are preparing to take a hit, what does that mean for camera stores that make nice juicy dollars on the DLSRs, etc? To that end, if lens become harder to come by in the short term, will that push the market for rentals?!

Will have to wait and see!

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:13 AM »
 :'( I was afraid of this.  That was why I decided not to wait for the 5DIII and got the 5DII at it's usual price with lenses that still carried their rebate values.  I am glad I did ;D  But I am sad for Japan.  The news on the nuclear reactor isn't looking good and that has to have the country paralyzed to some extent.  At least the country's psyche. All of their resources are being diverted to recovery efforts, all of their nuc plants are being reviewed.  Manufacturing has to have taken a big hit and it may be some time before they will start rolling again.  I pray I am wrong, but I fear I am not.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

jnskyliner34

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »
glad I got my 10-22mm last week. prices haven't risen over here in the Philippines yet.

MB11

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:33 AM »
Been waiting and waiting for the 5D3....got impatient and picked up a 5d2 at Best Buy for 2250. Looks like I may have made the right choice

st sebastian

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 01:58:15 AM »
I hope Canon is in fact delaying new product announcements, and should have done so when the lenses announced for January were late.

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »
Unfortunately, this bad news is hardly surprising.
All the best to the people affected by the disaster!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »

armando

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:20:58 AM »
Bless those Japan folks' yeah I decided to buy what I need from canon, lens, sigma as well 5d mkii, it's the facts, that was one really bad disaster after the other. Earthquake - tsunami - then that evil nuclear plant seriously .. The more folks wait hold to buy.... Well.. I don't recommend that right now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:22:45 AM by armando »

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 06:33:47 AM »
Untill rolling power cuts can be stopped, or planned for, releasing a new product line would just hamper manufacturing with a peak of orders when it could least sustain them.
With unknown nuclear radiation affected areas, whole area's might yet be delared off limits and factory populations might need to move.
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

JLN

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:37:20 AM »
I don't find this suprising. In fact I think it's common sense to expect manufacturing delays and decreased stock levels, which in turn leads to price gouging, both on primary and secondary markets.

For this reason i'd rate this a CR3, if not a fact.

Rowbear

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Robert Gravel
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
Good luck Japan. Stay strong  :-*

iPrevailed

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
ugh... i dont have enough money yet to buy the mkii yet.. i only have 2,000 ]:

Kuscali

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »
Does anyone know where the Canon manufacturing facilities are and, what each one does? I know Nikon is very close to that region (was from Sendai) if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:31:52 AM by Kuscali »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »

obsoletepower

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »
Yup here you go. This is a list of all of Canon's Manufacturing Facilities in Japan. The 3 main plants where L-lenses and Pro bodies are built are Oita, Fukushima and Utsunomiya all of which are INOP.

http://www.canon.com/corp/list03.html

Kuscali

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
By INOP do you mean in operation?

On that page is says for Oita (relatively far from Fukushima):
Digital cameras, digital video camcorders, EF lenses, compact photo printers and others

For Fukushima:
Production of inkjet printers, print heads and ink tanks; analysis of software

Nagasaki also produces Digital Cameras (Nagasaki is pretty far away from Fukushima).

So is it relatively safe to conclude that the lens production and camera production are a safe distance away?

I hope Japan gets back from this, and comes out even better than before (as history has shown Japan done this). After my education finished and I learned Japanese I would like to move there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »