August 21, 2014, 10:36:43 AM

Author Topic: The Bad News [CR2]  (Read 23652 times)

obsoletepower

Re: The Bad News [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 07:13:55 AM »
Anyone know where the 5Dii and 7D are made? I'm assuming Japan since those are a step above the t3i build-quality wise but am curious to know...

Yup both of those are made in Japan.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 07:13:55 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
Not true. The Canon Rebel DSLRs are made in Taiwan.

I stand by my statement, the bodies are all made in japan.

Thanks for the photos, apparently they were made in both Japan and in Taiwan.

Attach a post of your Rebel ID label that says in Taiwan.  Only the lower cost lenses are made in Taiwan.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:00:18 PM by scalesusa »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »
Not true. The Canon Rebel DSLRs are made in Taiwan.

I stand by my statement, the bodies are all made in japan.

Attach a post of your Rebel ID label that says in Taiwan.  Only the lower cost lenses are made in Taiwan.

In case anyone's interested, here's the list of production-related firms (in Japanese) for Canon:
http://web.canon.jp/corp/list03.html

From this list, the products of Taiwan' plant includes EF lens and DSLR (デジタル一眼レフカメラ).

However, to the best of my knowledge, there's one (only one? not sure...) DSLR body that has a "MIT" version - the 300D. Now that's quite a while back... (the 300D is one of the 4 DSLRs CR Guy mentioned in the last contest). Given the years that the factory has been around, I won't be surprised if it plays an important role in the production of entry DSLRs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:50:02 PM by ronderick »
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
However, to the best of my knowledge, there's (only?) one DSLR body that has a "MIT" version - the 300D. Now that's quite a while back... (that's one of the 4 DSLRs CR Guy mentioned in the last contest)

I believe that the Rebel XS/1000D was also produced in Taiwan (as well as Japan), and that body was current until the very recent release of the T3/1100D.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
There have been a number of posters who read the box and see Taiwan, rather than reading the label on the bottom of the camera.  The box may list Taiwan due to the 18-55mm lens being made in Taiwan. 

When I bought my 300D in 2003, and the body was made in Japan.  I have photos of the camera, but not the id plate.

Here is a photo of my 400D nameplate

If someone has a Canon DSLR made in Taiwan, snap a photo of the label on the bottom and post it. 

I've owned the D30, 300D, 350D, 400D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D MK II, and 1D MK III.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »
If someone has a Canon DSLR made in Taiwan, snap a photo of the label on the bottom and post it.

I don't.  But, dpreview.com does.  This is from their preview of the new T3/1100D:

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »

I don't.  But, dpreview.com does.  This is from their preview of the new T3/1100D:

Interesting, I've learned something for today.

I've seen listings on Amazon for the T3i say made in Japan, perhaps the Kiss versions for the  Japanese market are made in Japan.

This T3i review mentions:

The bottom of the Made In Japan DSLR has a metal tripod mount and battery compartment

http://www.digitaltrends.com/digital-camera-reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t3i-review/

Photos trump all word descriptions, however.

I'll check out best buy store if I'm in there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
There have been a number of posters who read the box and see Taiwan, rather than reading the label on the bottom of the camera.  The box may list Taiwan due to the 18-55mm lens being made in Taiwan. 

When I bought my 300D in 2003, and the body was made in Japan.  I have photos of the camera, but not the id plate.

Never had a 300D, but here's a picture of the 300D with a "Made in Taiwan" tag at the bottom. It's near the bottom of the page:

http://www.digital.idv.tw/DIGITAL/dc-test/Canon/CanonEOS300D/opera/canon-eos300d-opera.htm

Again, there are both MIT and MIJ versions of the camera, so I guess it really depends on where you purchase your camera.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »

Never had a 300D, but here's a picture of the 300D with a "Made in Taiwan" tag at the bottom. It's near the bottom of the page:

I think you are correct, they were made in both places.  I stopped by Best Buy yesterday while I was buying something next door, but the keeper they attach to the bottom of the camera blocks view of the ID Tag..

http://www.digital.idv.tw/DIGITAL/dc-test/Canon/CanonEOS300D/opera/canon-eos300d-opera.htm

Again, there are both MIT and MIJ versions of the camera, so I guess it really depends on where you purchase your camera.

Flake

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 04:55:22 AM »
It's interesting to take a look at the news board of DPReview where announcements are kept in date order.  Since 11 March the only announcements out of Japan have been a few firmware updates posted, (presumably well tested before the earthquake & easy to deliver over the net).

The only Japanese equipment announcements have been  a Sony Pro Camcorder 23/3 and Sigma announcing they intend to ship the DP2X camera from the end of this month.  They go to say that it will be available to buy from stores at that time so presumably stock has already been shipped from Japan.

The most positive announcement is from Fuji who have said the X100 large format 'compact' has resumed production.

If other camera manufacturers follow suit and announce when they restart production (and they do all seem to behave in the same way) then perhaps we can assume production at the main plants has not recommenced.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 02:48:13 AM »
I think you are correct, they were made in both places.  I stopped by Best Buy yesterday while I was buying something next door, but the keeper they attach to the bottom of the camera blocks view of the ID Tag..

Followup on the EOS 1100D: Here's a picture I just took at the showroom of a local
exhibition.

BTW, I'm not sure if the 18-55 that comes with the kit is I or II. The sales told me that there's no specific "II" printed on the lens, but you could feel the difference when rotating the lens because the new one is a lot tighter (supposedly the lens kit with 1100D is 18-55mm II).
FujiFilm FinePix X100

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
BTW, I'm not sure if the 18-55 that comes with the kit is I or II. The sales told me that there's no specific "II" printed on the lens, but you could feel the difference when rotating the lens because the new one is a lot tighter (supposedly the lens kit with 1100D is 18-55mm II).

On the original version of the lens, the focal length scale (printed numbers) is black text on a silver ring and the registration marker (the white square to align with the lens mount) is molded and painted.  On the MkII version of the lens, the focal length numbers are white text on a black ring and the registration mark is only painted.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »