October 24, 2014, 03:17:41 AM

Author Topic: PixStics - Discussion  (Read 4948 times)

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
Re: PixStics
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
Looks good, I used something similar (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ExposurePlot.html) before but will give this a try. The planned add-ons look promising too. Thanks.
Yeah that's one of the ones I found while working on this project. Which of the planned add-ons would you be most interested in? Also is there anything else that you think would be useful to add?
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
The duplicate finder/remover and the group by camera would be pretty interesting.

crasher8

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
Kudos to you and your cool idea. I look forward to v 2.0 and future updates. Thanks!

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »
The duplicate finder/remover and the group by camera would be pretty interesting.
Got it. Thanks. If others concur I'll prioritize those first.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
Kudos to you and your cool idea. I look forward to v 2.0 and future updates. Thanks!
Any ideas besides what I've already listed for v2.0?

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
This is a great idea! Now just program it to run inside of LR4's internal archive and work inside our catalogs. Then Sell it for 9.99$ as an add-on and I'd be happy to purchase this. 8)

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
This is a great idea! Now just program it to run inside of LR4's internal archive and work inside our catalogs. Then Sell it for 9.99$ as an add-on and I'd be happy to purchase this. 8)
I'm afraid that will never happen. I honestly can't take credit for very much of this project. I actually built very little of it and instead am using existing scripts combined together to do what I wanted it to. I would never feel comfortable charging for this since it's really not mine to sell and thus will always be free. I'm sure figuring out ways to improve the scripts integration with existing workflows would be nice and if it's possible then I'd be willing look into trying to build some of that in but I honestly don't know where you would start with that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
Works fine for me, Its a neat exercise.
Since I use lightroom, I can see 4 parameters of my chosing at once, and drill down thru subdirectories as well as see stats for raw images, which all of mine are.  100,000 images takes just a seciond or two.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »
Works fine for me, Its a neat exercise.
Since I use lightroom, I can see 4 parameters of my chosing at once, and drill down thru subdirectories as well as see stats for raw images, which all of mine are.  100,000 images takes just a seciond or two.
Sounds interesting. I'll have to check out a demo of lightroom to see what you're talking about. My guess is they must have a database they're using. Not a bad idea if I could do something similar of a database client side with all the information need then it could almost become more of an index thing for more long term use. One other thing I'm planning on is even further segmenting than the two properties right now. I just have to figure out which way to move forward as the graphs are limited to 2 properties so I have to segment it a different way.

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »
Cool idea and nice user interface. I seem to have a problem though when I drop more than about half a dozen photos, it gets stuck at 'Processing 7 of 8' for example. It seems like it's actually loaded them if I go ahead and select some charts, it just doesn't report them as loaded. The JPEG files I was trying are about 5MB each and I'm using FF 13.0.1.
Peter, do you have firebug installed? If you do, would you mind pulling up the console and letting me know if you see an error there? My guess is there's so bit of code that's failing AFTER the files get read in. It shouldn't have anything to do with the size of the files. I wrote it so that it only reads the first 32KB of each file since the EXIF data should easily be contained within that space. Also, do you have Chrome installed? If so, could you try running it in there as well? I did most of the development in Chrome but I did do limited testing in Firefox and everything seemed to work there. Also, if you could let me know what properties and detail levels and chart type you have it set at that would help too. Thanks.
Hi Brian, I had a chance to do some more testing today and I do get a Firebug error:

exifData.subifd is undefined
http://leightyphotography.com/PixStics/js/customJavascript.js Line 282

Line 282 is:

simplifiedData['aperture'] = exifData['subifd']['f-stop'];

I've also tracked it down to one particular image Nikita.jpg (posting name here so I don't forget which) and all works fine if I deselect that image. Doing a right-mouse click it does contain aperture information and all the other usual fields and nothing appears much different to other images in the folder. Let me know if you want me to e-mail the image.

P.S. This happened with all the chart options set at their defaults as per when the page is first loaded.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:39:22 PM by PeterJ »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
Cool idea and nice user interface. I seem to have a problem though when I drop more than about half a dozen photos, it gets stuck at 'Processing 7 of 8' for example. It seems like it's actually loaded them if I go ahead and select some charts, it just doesn't report them as loaded. The JPEG files I was trying are about 5MB each and I'm using FF 13.0.1.
Peter, do you have firebug installed? If you do, would you mind pulling up the console and letting me know if you see an error there? My guess is there's so bit of code that's failing AFTER the files get read in. It shouldn't have anything to do with the size of the files. I wrote it so that it only reads the first 32KB of each file since the EXIF data should easily be contained within that space. Also, do you have Chrome installed? If so, could you try running it in there as well? I did most of the development in Chrome but I did do limited testing in Firefox and everything seemed to work there. Also, if you could let me know what properties and detail levels and chart type you have it set at that would help too. Thanks.
Hi Brian, I had a chance to do some more testing today and I do get a Firebug error:

Line 282 is:

I've also tracked it down to one particular image Nikita.jpg (posting name here so I don't forget which) and all works fine if I deselect that image. Doing a right-mouse click it does contain aperture information and all the other usual fields and nothing appears much different to other images in the folder. Let me know if you want me to e-mail the image.

P.S. This happened with all the chart options set at their defaults as per when the page is first loaded.

Thanks Peter. Not sure how personal that photo is. If you'd be willing to email to me it'd be great to be able to test it myself. It can be as small as you want as long as it have the exif data untouched. If it does indeed have the aperture then it would seem strange that that property is missing. The email address if you don't mind sending it is contact at leightyphotography.com. If it's a personal picture then I can try and make some changes and have you try testing it but it be much more helpful to do multiple test on my own if you don't mind. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm currently working on building in duplicate file detection and if I get enough request for it will build in the splitting by camera or lens.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »

Line 282 is:

Brian, don't mean to teach you to suck eggs... You could put your code in a try/catch/finally block and ignore the files causing errors.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

Line 282 is:

Brian, don't mean to teach you to suck eggs... You could put your code in a try/catch/finally block and ignore the files causing errors.
I don't do too much with try and catch. I guess mostly 'cause I don't understand it well enough and simple if statements work most of the time but yes that is my plan if I can't get the original file. However, I would prefer to know why it's not getting defined in the first place because that means that the aperture data isn't getting read properly which is very odd given that's not a maker specific property where there are most of the issues. Thanks for your input rpt. If you have any good links to a tutorial that explains try catch in javascript well I'd be interested to read it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »

Line 282 is:

I don't do too much with try and catch. I guess mostly 'cause I don't understand it well enough and simple if statements work most of the time but yes that is my plan if I can't get the original file. However, I would prefer to know why it's not getting defined in the first place because that means that the aperture data isn't getting read properly which is very odd given that's not a maker specific property where there are most of the issues. Thanks for your input rpt. If you have any good links to a tutorial that explains try catch in javascript well I'd be interested to read it.

It is quite simple actually. You put your code in the try block. The interpreter (in this case) will try to execute it. If an exception is encountered - missing variable/object etc., an exception will be trhown and if you have written a catch block, that block of code will be executed. The finally block will always be executed.

So in the catch block you can write code to take appropriate action like skip this file processing and continue back to the top of the for loop. You would also put debug statements (and put try/catch blocks around those statements where you expect exceptions to occur again...).

In your case I am not sure you need a finally block. It is used to do cleanup that is common to the code in the try and catch blocks (instead of duplicating the code in those two blocks...).

Do a google search for javascript try catch block and I am sure you will find a ton of links.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know I'm currently working on several fixes/improvements to the script. Hopefully will have a new version up sometime this week or next week.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »