December 21, 2014, 01:59:56 PM

Author Topic: Why are you buying the 1D X?  (Read 5123 times)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you buying the 1D X?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »
Low light
Hoping IQ to be a bit better then the 5dmkIII
Speed for shooting action scene
Represent a more miningful upgrade from my 5D mkII compared to the mkIII (for me).
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »

bughunter

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
I want the best, the "flagship", have the very best tool for most of the situations I will encounter, rugged beast, state of the art in modern tech, most advanced camera before I am no longer on this planet. I am getting is asap. No one can change my mind, I've saved for it since the 1d m4 came out. I had a plan and it's going to work out.
I feel blessed to be able to own one and a few very nice lenses.
On the other hand if I was shooting only landscapes, portraits or products, I would consider a D800 and I've never touched a nikon DSLR :)

chrysek

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I wanted low iso :) rest is great even thats its not 22mp :(

Ontos Marine

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
I have owned the previous two 1D's. This will be my first full frame camera. Secondly I wanted the best that Canon had to offer and I now have it in my hand. A beast built like a tank. No compromising once you get this baby in your hands. Good luck to all of you fortunate to be able to own one.

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »
I have the 5D3 and an older 1D3, the 5D3 replaced the 5D classic I sold and the 1D3 for the most part (1D3 is now my backup camera). The 1D series body is more bullet proof for sure, but the 5D3 is no slouch either. The biggest issue I have with the 5D3 is in very low light, the AF seems to struggle to attain lock. Once it does, it's golden. I would suspect the 1Dx will do better in attaining AF lock quicker in lower light, since it has more processing power, and maybe because the higher voltage battery will activate the lens motor quicker, particularly for bigger glass lenses (i.e. 50/85 f/1.2 and the long lenses).

As for image quality, what I've seen samples of with the 1Dx does show outstanding IQ at higher ISOs, probably better than 5D3 from what I can tell. Of course, it will shoot faster too, so for speed of handling, durability and perhaps better high ISO images, it's obviously the better camera. Whether the difference is worth the extra $3k+ is up to you.

As for low ISO image quality, I suspect Canon is going to release something along the lines of a D800 type camera soon (next year or 2 anyway), which will fit the need for that kind of photography. Generally, the need for super high IQ, high MP, low ISO images doesn't require a 1D series tank for the body, with the corresponding price tag. I think the 1Dx is perfectly spec'd for the market it is targeting. They realized that when the 5D2 killed the 1Ds3 sales, so why build a camera that most people aren't interested in?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
The biggest issue I have with the 5D3 is in very low light, the AF seems to struggle to attain lock. Once it does, it's golden.

I've noticed that on my 5d3. I was shooting some night surfing (he was wearing/experimenting with glow stucks & stuff on his board & suit) next to the Santa Monica pier and my 5d3 (135 f/2.0) would sometimes take a bit to lock focus, but once it was it would pretty reliably track him in AI Servo mode across all of the X-type points.

Pretty freaking amazing if you ask me, and it would have been nice to be able to actually SEE the AF points that were selected in the view finder. If you wanna see the shots, they're up here.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
I checked out Bryan Carnathan's review of the 1D X (or partial review).  I looked at the ISO charts and at ISO 6400 and 12800, the difference between the 1D X and 5D Mark III really isn't that signifcant and nothing that couldn't be quickly equalized with NR (which you'd have to use for the 1D X image anways).  I don't really see a HUGE ISO advantage from these charts at least. 

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 04:22:25 AM »
I checked out Bryan Carnathan's review of the 1D X (or partial review).  I looked at the ISO charts and at ISO 6400 and 12800, the difference between the 1D X and 5D Mark III really isn't that signifcant and nothing that couldn't be quickly equalized with NR (which you'd have to use for the 1D X image anways).  I don't really see a HUGE ISO advantage from these charts at least. 

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

A G R E E

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »

Not sure I agree about the equalizing with NR - sure, you can NR the 5DIII image, but you can NR the 1D X image, too, and the relative difference will be maintained (or sharpness will go down if you NR the 5DIII image more). 

But I do agree that while the differences there and visible, they aren't huge.  However, IQ isn't intended to be a differentiator, any more than it was between the 5DII and 1DsIII.  For that matter, in terms of ISO noise, the relative difference between the 1D X and 5DIII is similar to the relative difference between the 5DIII and the 5DII - so if that's the main concern, the 5DII is a much less expensive way to get there...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »

Not sure I agree about the equalizing with NR - sure, you can NR the 5DIII image, but you can NR the 1D X image, too, and the relative difference will be maintained (or sharpness will go down if you NR the 5DIII image more). 

But I do agree that while the differences there and visible, they aren't huge.  However, IQ isn't intended to be a differentiator, any more than it was between the 5DII and 1DsIII.  For that matter, in terms of ISO noise, the relative difference between the 1D X and 5DIII is similar to the relative difference between the 5DIII and the 5DII - so if that's the main concern, the 5DII is a much less expensive way to get there...

I agree 100%.  The other aspects of the 1DX do make it a better camera, overall, than the 5D3 for sure.  I too want those advantages which is why I'm getting one.  I also agree that applying more NR, even if just a few percent, will overall make the 5D3 image with less quality than the 1DX image, at the end.  This was just a very narrow observation I had made.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »