December 20, 2014, 08:17:28 PM

Author Topic: New Product Announcement Invites for July 23, 2012  (Read 16784 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: New Product Announcement Invites for July 23, 2012
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
I agree, at best it will probably be the same sensor as the G1X, which is essentially an APS-C sensor cut down to an unappealing aspect ratio.

What's so magical about the 3:2 aspect ratio? Most medium and large format film stock is squarer than 135.  If this aspect ratio helps make the whole system more compact, then I'm all for it.  If it was simply to appeal to previous Powershot G-series owners, then I don't see the need. 

The Fujis are still more appealing: cool design and nice, standard APS-C sized and proportioned sensor. I just don't want to invest in a non-compatible lens mount.

Everyone seems to be heaping praise upon the Fujis, but I think that they're both (I'm excluding the X10) too niche for Canon.  The X100 is an enthusiast's second camera for use in certain circumstances, primarily when enjoying the camera experience is as important as getting the shot.  The X Pro1 is Fuji gambling that there is enough of a market for a budget version of the Leica M9.  This is not the market that I think Canon want to target; they need to find a camera that can be marketed to casul users in place of the small sensor point and shoots that will soon be totally obsoleted by camera 'phones.  A secondary group is (primarily EOS) DSLR owners wanting an additional, smaller 'carry everywhere' camera.  The Fuji X100 is too inflexible for both of these groups' needs; the X Pro 1 is too expensive and intimidating for the former group and too large for the latter group (and a bit too expensive for most).  As for their 'retro' design, if retro means more physical controls then that's great (but this does have implications for body size); if it's simply copying fifty year old styling cues, Canon should leave this to German car manufacturers. 

I just don't want to invest in a non-compatible lens mount.

I didn't want to take the previous quote you out of context, but I think that the last sentence is very important.  No one is keen to spend money on a new lens system, particularly when there is so much uncertainty about which will last.  If you had to re-purchase all your DSLR kit, which lens mount would you be confident investing in: EF, F, A, K, 4/3rds? There are two mounts in that list that I would have very high confidence in, with the third not far behind; of the other two, I would be very wary of one and wouldn't touch the other with a barge pole.  I don't need to say which is which, as I'm sure that most people already know!  ;) So, out of the following mounts, pick the winners: micro-4/3rds, E, Q, 1, XF, [Canon(?)] ? Not so easy and the potential for an expensive mistake. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

Astro

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »
Alright fellow Canonites! Prepare for some more disappointment. 8)

try to make some photos with your gear and stop thinking about more gear.. :) that would be something.

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
My bets are on an entry level mirror-less camera.
I share this view. However, I don't have extra cash for toys.  So.............. wake me up when they announce real stuff.... like a new reasonably priced FF body ....
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
It seems to me G1X size sensor will be a good compromise.  There is not such a big difference between 1.7 and 1.6 (based on width) or 1.85 and 1.6(based on length) compare to APS-C. The same sensor can be used in the "G series" later. It is a "one stone to kill two birds" approach. I think Canon will take this approach.
+1 
The G1X sensor is developed and a plug-in solution.  I do not think the T4i sensor is quite up to fast phase detect AF.  Of course, if Canon goes to their pellicle mirror technology, we might see a aps-c, but this is unlikely.

the 16MP APS-H is also developed and a plug in solution that will leave every mirrorless competitor in its dust
including leica  :D
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
I agree, at best it will probably be the same sensor as the G1X, which is essentially an APS-C sensor cut down to an unappealing aspect ratio.

What's so magical about the 3:2 aspect ratio? Most medium and large format film stock is squarer than 135.  If this aspect ratio helps make the whole system more compact, then I'm all for it.  If it was simply to appeal to previous Powershot G-series owners, then I don't see the need. 

The Fujis are still more appealing: cool design and nice, standard APS-C sized and proportioned sensor. I just don't want to invest in a non-compatible lens mount.

Everyone seems to be heaping praise upon the Fujis, but I think that they're both (I'm excluding the X10) too niche for Canon.  The X100 is an enthusiast's second camera for use in certain circumstances, primarily when enjoying the camera experience is as important as getting the shot.  The X Pro1 is Fuji gambling that there is enough of a market for a budget version of the Leica M9.  This is not the market that I think Canon want to target; they need to find a camera that can be marketed to casul users in place of the small sensor point and shoots that will soon be totally obsoleted by camera 'phones.  A secondary group is (primarily EOS) DSLR owners wanting an additional, smaller 'carry everywhere' camera.  The Fuji X100 is too inflexible for both of these groups' needs; the X Pro 1 is too expensive and intimidating for the former group and too large for the latter group (and a bit too expensive for most).  As for their 'retro' design, if retro means more physical controls then that's great (but this does have implications for body size); if it's simply copying fifty year old styling cues, Canon should leave this to German car manufacturers. 

I just don't want to invest in a non-compatible lens mount.

I didn't want to take the previous quote you out of context, but I think that the last sentence is very important.  No one is keen to spend money on a new lens system, particularly when there is so much uncertainty about which will last.  If you had to re-purchase all your DSLR kit, which lens mount would you be confident investing in: EF, F, A, K, 4/3rds? There are two mounts in that list that I would have very high confidence in, with the third not far behind; of the other two, I would be very wary of one and wouldn't touch the other with a barge pole.  I don't need to say which is which, as I'm sure that most people already know!  ;) So, out of the following mounts, pick the winners: micro-4/3rds, E, Q, 1, XF, [Canon(?)] ? Not so easy and the potential for an expensive mistake.

Fuji is fine and all untill you have to deal with their lack of service department
I'm still fighting with them about replacing my sensor in my x10 for the white orb issue
been about 6 weeks now lucky i dont really need the camera urgently ::)
APS-H Fanboy

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »
I just bought a refurbished 7D from Canon Direct for $1087. The shutter release on my 40D is becoming increasingly erratic.

Canon is pretty good (and fast) at fixing stuff like that for pretty reasonable prices. in a freak accident I was photographing a diesel truck on a test dyno, pouring smoke out of its exhaust.  I was standing probably 50 feet away and to the side, when the exiting exhaust flew a small rock or piece of bark at me and hit the top housing right beside my finger.  shutter was erratic ever since then -- but  Canon replaced the top assembly for $100. 

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »
Alright fellow Canonites! Prepare for some more disappointment. 8)

try to make some photos with your gear and stop thinking about more gear.. :) that would be something.

Seeing your portfolio would be something.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »

samirachiko

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »
I'd like to see the cheap full frame!!  :( :( :( :(     ;D

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »

I'd agree that a fixed prime camera and a system based on primes are probabley too small a market for Canon to go after with there first release but I wouldnt rule out some rangefinderlike styling.

The mirrorless market is I'd say clearly more style conscious than either DSLR's or compacts and the trend for retro looks is now reaching well into the mainstream, just look at any character using a camera in a hollywood blockbuster and the chances are its got 60's styling.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
Something close to the fuji system would be awesome.
C'mon Canon. Still hoping for aps-c.
APS-C is the minimum, but something like the Leica M9 would be amazing!

C'mon Canon. Give us a full frame mirrorless or go home.

+1

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Canonwatch report that the mirrorless will use APSC size sensor. my guess would be the T4i sensor with hybrid AF?

but if thats the case, AF would be far from the competition, like the newer Sony and the lightning fast AF from the newer m4/3.

i hope the adapter to be EF-S compatible, since i have to deal with crop factor, and also hope that the thickness of the adapter won't be too much

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
My bets are on an entry level mirror-less camera.
I share this view. However, I don't have extra cash for toys.  So.............. wake me up when they announce real stuff.... like a new reasonably priced FF body ....

maybe someday soon? i wouldnt be surprise if its one out by september! :)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
"
  • has a new type of mount and that Canon will provide an adapter for EF lenses (that was already considered to be most probable, nothing really new here)
  • features an APS-C sized sensor and not the sensor of the PowerShot G1 X (most of us thought it would have this sensor)
– This is a new rumoured spec of Canon’s mirrorless camera, and – I guess – a very welcome one (if true)"

If this source is trustable: http://www.canonwatch.com/rumor-canon-mirrorless-system-camera-quick-update/...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:49:42 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »

quartzie

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Canonwatch report that the mirrorless will use APSC size sensor. my guess would be the T4i sensor with hybrid AF?

but if thats the case, AF would be far from the competition, like the newer Sony and the lightning fast AF from the newer m4/3.

Indeed. I was quite disappointed with 650D's AF performance in Live View when I went to check it out at a Canon center last week. Can't say the "hybrid phase detect AF" felt any different from a 600D.

SuperC142

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
I think they need an entry-level full-frame to compete with Nikon's rumored D600 (which is looking more like reality and less like rumor).  I would like to see something like a "T4i-but-with-a-full-frame".  In fact, I think something like that would make a great 70D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »