December 22, 2014, 10:06:41 AM

Author Topic: Joystick issue 5d mk iii  (Read 16400 times)

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Re: Joystick issue 5d mk iii
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
Canon quickly repaired it once I returned home.

Super sticky black tape?

;D
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:10 AM »
I guess I never noticed it with all the Canon cameras that I've used but now that I also shoot a Nikon D800, their "Joystick" to move the focus point is continous.  If you hold it down in one direction, it will auto repeat.  In fact it acts just like both cameras act when moving the focus box around the live view frame.  Is there any way to set the Canon 5DIII to auto repeat in the viewfinder mode just like it does in live view?

And-Rew

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:53 AM »
As some one about to go and place my order for a 5D3 - this comes across as a tad worrying.

Hoping it us just a 'batch' issue or an issue that has now been resolved in the unit i receive.
Thankfully i'm only upgrading my status from casual amateur to serious amateur!

Ristobkk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
I have same problem with over sensitive joystic, just unconvenient to use!
5DIII | 6D | G1X II | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L II | Tamron 150-600 | 2.0x converter III | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | GP-E2

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »
Mine popped off, but I did not loose it. I was able to put it back, but the rubber weather seal is not in the right place, and of course it could pop off again.

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
My Joystick has not fallen off but I would welcome helpful advice on programming the AF home setting.
Currently when I push down on the joystick, AF returns to the center sensor and a second push switches back to the previous AF sensor which drives me crazy. I want the AF home setting to work every time, not every other time.

Can it be programmed that way ?
Thanks

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »
I guess I never noticed it with all the Canon cameras that I've used but now that I also shoot a Nikon D800, their "Joystick" to move the focus point is continous.  If you hold it down in one direction, it will auto repeat.  In fact it acts just like both cameras act when moving the focus box around the live view frame.  Is there any way to set the Canon 5DIII to auto repeat in the viewfinder mode just like it does in live view?

ditto on this, may have to poke around the manual again to see if there is a setting for that. 

On mine, the joystick is really easy on the first move, but it is touchy and just kind of figured it's something I will get used to in time.  When I try to move the Af points across the screen it's real easy to mistakingly push down on it, and poof its off to the center point - 
My Joystick has not fallen off but I would welcome helpful advice on programming the AF home setting.
Currently when I push down on the joystick, AF returns to the center sensor and a second push switches back to the previous AF sensor which drives me crazy. I want the AF home setting to work every time, not every other time.

Can it be programmed that way ?
Thanks

I hope the sensitivity is in fact just something to learn and get used to and not a sign that my joystick will pop off.  what batch?
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

yes its a setting in the AF area where you can choose for it to stop at the edge or loop around
APS-H Fanboy

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 02:45:27 AM »

yes its a setting in the AF area where you can choose for it to stop at the edge or loop around

Yes I familiar with that setting but that does nothing for holding it down in one direction and having it auto-repeat.  The setting you are talking about one goes just one square on the other side but does nothing about repeating a direction.  Watch the difference in using the joystick to move the focus box in live view and then try the same thing in the viewfinder.  One works by holding the joystick and one does not.  Why?

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
Can I program a simple AF home setting so every time the JS is pressed AF returns to the home position ?
It works that way on my 1-D MK ll

ChrisAnderson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Mine works (and is still attached), but i find it's overly sensitive and it's really difficult to navigate menus unless i'm holding the camera just right, and really focusing on how i'm pressing the controller.  Like, the slightest touch sends a left or right command/

If you have the battery grip, turn the switch to off. For some reason, when my battery grip is turned on, the main joystick is super sensitive... if I turn the grip controls off, then it works like a non gripped unit (ie, better).

You're right!!  I'm using the Pixel grip,  i wonder if this is one of the drawbacks of non-genuine gear :)   Can anyone comment on whether this occurs on the Canon portrait grip?  I imagine it's something easily fixed in software, as it seems to be doubling the sensitivity and not relying on the click-down presses.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
Can I program a simple AF home setting so every time the JS is pressed AF returns to the home position ?

That should be what it does, sort of - it's actually a toggle, so if it's not at the center AF point, pressing the joystick sets it to center, and if it's at the center, pressing it sets it to the last off-center point you used. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »
The problem for me is the way it is currently programmed the AF Home feature works only every other time.
The feature is reliable on my 1-D bodies. Hit the home button and AF goes there, all the time. Simple and predictable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
Regarding the Pixel battery grip, I found the feel of the joy stick ok but discovered it didn't move the AF  reliably to all positions.
I contacted the eBay distributer and was told to ship it to Buenos Aires and they would look at it.

Of course shipping is very expensive and the delay at best for any possible repair or replacement is at least a month.
And they might say "seems ok to us" pay to have it shipped back to you.

Note to self: Do not purchase direct from China, only use a US distributer.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
The problem for me is the way it is currently programmed the AF Home feature works only every other time.
The feature is reliable on my 1-D bodies. Hit the home button and AF goes there, all the time. Simple and predictable.

The manual for the 1D IV indicates (p. 97) that pressing down the multicontroller selects the center AF point, and then pressing it again sets Automatic AF Point Selection - that doesn't sound like 'all the time' to me.  I can't speak from personal experiene for previous 1-series bodies, but on the 1D X the behavior is as I described - first press selects center, second press returns you to the previously-selected off center point.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »