September 21, 2014, 04:07:33 AM

Author Topic: Cancelled 1dx pre order.  (Read 10229 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Cancelled 1dx pre order.
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=779&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=4&LensComp=458&CameraComp=792&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=4

And the color resolution chart on the review page shows there is no real IQ advantage to 1dx over 5d3 to MY EYE.

Will miss the extra 6 fps. :( Rest of the features do not warrant spending this money to ME.

canon rumors FORUM

Cancelled 1dx pre order.
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
Re: Cancelled 1dx pre order.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:53 AM »
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=779&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=4&LensComp=458&CameraComp=792&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=4

And the color resolution chart on the review page shows there is no real IQ advantage to 1dx over 5d3 to MY EYE.

Will miss the extra 6 fps. :( Rest of the features do not warrant spending this money to ME.

The page you linked us to was to compare LENSES, not cameras. I wouldn't cancel my pre order based on a lens chart. Thats just silly. If you want the best possible quality at high iso, stick with your 1dx, if you want best possible quality at low iso, and don't care about other features then get the *gasp* d800 and switch to the dark side. If you can't afford the 1dx but still want a great all round camera, then sure, cancel your pre order and get a 5d3. The 1dx isn't supposed to have higher resolution than the 5d3. Its better at other things. :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:54:57 AM »
This link just got me confused. There is nothing worthwhile in it regarding 1D X. We all know that it will be a 18 MP sensor, not 22 MP or anything like that, but that is beside the point. MPs are not everything. For my purposes I expect the 1D X will be twice as good as my 5D Mark III just because it will perform autofocus faster and it will shoot faster, which in some cases makes the difference between nailing the shot I want or providing reactions such as:
1. I should have a picture with the wing of the bird not exactly in front of its head.
2. Why is that bee halfway out of my frame? It just sat there, then I adjusted my focus a bit and now its too late.
3. Add similar entries at your leasure.

The upcoming 1D X promises to give even better low light capabilities than the 5D Mark III and it is simply fast and highly responsive. If this counts for something to you, you shouldn't shy away, before you have even seen the first reliable reviews. The digital picture is certainly a website I recommend for good reviews, but they don't have a 1D X review out yet...

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »
Thanks for both the replies. I am still at border line. But I want at least some better IQ on Mr. X than 5d3 (which I already have).

The link attached DOES compare two cameras, not just lenses.

Then there is the ISO comparison on a color chart in the same review. The noise level looks SAME to ME at high ISO.

And if I somehow change my mind, speed of camera DOES count, then I will get it here in India perhaps faster than USA.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »
Then there is the ISO comparison on a color chart in the same review. The noise level looks SAME to ME at high ISO.

IMO, the difference becomes apparent at ISO 3200, and the 1D X becomes progressively better than the 5DIII at ISO 6400 and beyond.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »

IMO, the difference becomes apparent at ISO 3200, and the 1D X becomes progressively better than the 5DIII at ISO 6400 and beyond.

Yes.  Which is exactly why I'm getting a 1DX and owning two 5D Mark III's.  If the 1DX proves to be much, much better, I'll sell one 5D Mark III, save money, and buy another 1DX or if there is a newer camera out above the 5D Mark III I'll look at getting that.  High ISO is paramount for indoor sports and for what I do it would be quite idiotic to NOT own a 1DX.  Granted I don't shoot above ISO 2000 at weddings because of flash, you don't get the flash advantage in a lot of indoor situations, namely sports.  I can't stress that enough.

I will also add that if you do get a 5D Mark III, the IQ is stunning, resolution is fantastic, and you can auto ISO in manual mode at all ISO values.  I will always have a 5D Mark III in my bag after having used it for a few months.  I've been meaning to post some photos recently because it's so easy to talk on here and wanted to show that yes, I'm actually doing something :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:07:00 AM by bdunbar79 »
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
Yes, the noise at high ISO is better with Mr. X.

Now I am perhaps changing my mind again.

But again I hardly ever shoot beyond 1,200 ISO.

Confused mind!!!! I know if I buy it I will never regret it. But if I don't, I will always be thinking about it...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »

These are lens tests. Not sensor or camera performance tests.

You buy a 1DX for it's no compromise anything. It has the best of everything canon can offer that can do all types of photography excellently and is built like a tank.

On another note, I noticed on the chart linked the Canon 200 F/2 is just as sharp wide open as stopped down to F/5.6. Amazing! 8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:43:35 AM by RLPhoto »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »

True, but the 200/2L is the lens he shoots with most bodies (also the 200/2.8L to a lesser extent), allowing you to get a standardized image comparison (vs. a quantitative comparison).  In the linked comparison between the 5DIII and 1D X, you see no real difference becuase at low ISO, there likely is no real difference, except for the resolution. 

OTOH, try comparing (link) the 18 MP images from the 1D X vs. the 7D - resolution is the same, lens is the same, what's different?  You can clearly see the effect of the stronger AA filter on the 7D which results in a loss of sharpness.  That's how the ISO 12233 shots are used to compare bodies.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »

If only I can afford it, I would get 1D X....look at the ISO3200 and up AGAIN.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
I believe the AA filter on the 5D Mark III is quite strong as well.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »

True, but the 200/2L is the lens he shoots with most bodies (also the 200/2.8L to a lesser extent), allowing you to get a standardized image comparison (vs. a quantitative comparison).  In the linked comparison between the 5DIII and 1D X, you see no real difference becuase at low ISO, there likely is no real difference, except for the resolution. 

OTOH, try comparing (link) the 18 MP images from the 1D X vs. the 7D - resolution is the same, lens is the same, what's different?  You can clearly see the effect of the stronger AA filter on the 7D which results in a loss of sharpness.  That's how the ISO 12233 shots are used to compare bodies.

Interesting, but bigger formats are sharper anyway right?

chrysek

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
I am ready to pull the trigger too... I did order it from Abes Of Maine as soon as it was released, I was hoping that at least I will be able to get it since I was first on the list when its released, they supposedly are authorized reseller, I canceled my B&H order and if I did not cancel it I would have my 1DX in my hands since I did place my order as soon as it was available, so my order number was in group that probably would have it... so it all blows. I missed trip to Euro 2012, took my old 5D Mark II, now I am going back to Europe for the Olympics and will miss that too... I am not a pro, but I am CPS member, I do it for fun those events and because I enjoy them.. but I am pissed at canon and Abes of Maine for screwing me like this. I did pay in full and I would not even imagine that I am not getting this camera... oh well, will wait for high megapixel camera then... I wanted 1DX for its low light, that's all I wanted, I mean other things are amazing about it, please do not get me wrong, love this camera, had it in my hands few times and I just love it, but I just cant stand canons arrogance and treating me like this where I already paid full for this sucker :((( Its just not fair.. and CPS reps are not much fun to deal with neither... such a crap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
I don't get it.
Why are people comparing the 5D3 to the 1DX?
They're not made to be in the same league.
Shouldn't you compare the 1DX to the D4 instead?
The fact that the 1DX IS 2X the price of a 5D3, it has got to be better..it's made by the same manufacturer so definately they would want their flagship model to be better than it's junior.
But is it 2x better? I really don't think so.
Being a flagship model, it has to be the best in the entire range so if you can afford it, go for it. If you need it, go for it.
If you don't know if you want it, chances are you don't need it.

I'm just happy that it isn't 2x better, it just makes my 5D3 feel more "worthwhile" although it is still expensive.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
It is not that difficult for me to understand why people are comparing 5d3 to 1dx. My take:
5d3 comes out and works very well. Then 1dx comes out (costs a lot more) so everyone wants to see how better it is to 5d3 for the money.

I guess it is not being compared to 1D4 as that camera's life cycle is over and 5d3 is current. Compare current cameras...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »