November 27, 2014, 05:00:49 PM

Author Topic: Cancelled 1dx pre order.  (Read 10570 times)

briansquibb

Re: Cancelled 1dx pre order.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »

My other thought is to sell the 5d3 and buy the 1dx instead. The catch for me is that I run a small camera rental business for students that make shorts on video and they rent my 5d3.

There are other bodies that can make good videos - 7D, 1D4, 5DII - why not get two of these and make more money?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
I know! But the strange thing in rental is that EVERYONE wants the latest!!! As soon as 5d3 came out, no one wants the 5d2. Strange but true!!!!

In any case the camera goes out maximum 8-10 days a month and that does not warrant more than one body.

Btw if you curious, the lens most in demand is my 24 ts and then comes the 70-200.

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
I know! But the strange thing in rental is that EVERYONE wants the latest!!! As soon as 5d3 came out, no one wants the 5d2. Strange but true!!!!

In any case the camera goes out maximum 8-10 days a month and that does not warrant more than one body.

Btw if you curious, the lens most in demand is my 24 ts and then comes the 70-200.

I use the 24ts as my wa

The 70-200 f/2.8II is my general purpose/walkabout lens on ff

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »
I don't get this:

I canceled my B&H order and if I did not cancel it I would have my 1DX in my hands since I did place my order as soon as it was available... but I am pissed at canon and Abes of Maine for screwing me like this.

Are Canon and Abe's of Maine to blame for you choosing to cancel your order with B&H?  Mine arrived from B&H this past Tuesday.

Hi Neuro,
Let us know how you like it  :) :) :)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
You hoo!  I am geeting my 1DX on Monday!  Just shipped today!  Boy oh boy I cant wait!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
Hi Neuro,

Limited use so far, but love it, love it, love it.  Build is great, customization is extensive, responsiveness is amazing.  Shot some ISO tests, with no NR it's definitely a full stop better than the 5DII, probably a little more than that.  Exposures are very, very consistent, AF performance is great.

Heading out to shoot a concert tonight, looking forward to it!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »
Hi Neuro,

Limited use so far, but love it, love it, love it.  Build is great, customization is extensive, responsiveness is amazing.  Shot some ISO tests, with no NR it's definitely a full stop better than the 5DII, probably a little more than that.  Exposures are very, very consistent, AF performance is great.

Congrats! Would love to see some photos..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
my two cents...i havent read or posted in a few months, mainly because ive been too busy and was tired of all the negatively.
i was nervous about my 5d3 purchase, like you are with your 1D purchase. mainly because i mostly shoot with an epic or an alexa, but more and more id get a treatment and it starts off with "this is a 5D job"
so i finally got one, looking back on the past few moths im so happy i did. the entire pkg has already paid for itself, financially and creatively. i shoot mainly commercials, and more recently in the past couple of years the clients have me do the products shots on stills, but as well, i have jumped on a few short film projects because i could, because i had a camera pkg. i wouldnt change my purchase for anything.
so in my opinion, which ever camera fits the work you do, the sooner you get it, the sooner it will pay off!
5D MKIII

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
Hi Neuro,

You mean better than the 5D III ???
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
my two cents...i havent read or posted in a few months, mainly because ive been too busy and was tired of all the negatively.
i was nervous about my 5d3 purchase, like you are with your 1D purchase. mainly because i mostly shoot with an epic or an alexa, but more and more id get a treatment and it starts off with "this is a 5D job"
so i finally got one, looking back on the past few moths im so happy i did. the entire pkg has already paid for itself, financially and creatively. i shoot mainly commercials, and more recently in the past couple of years the clients have me do the products shots on stills, but as well, i have jumped on a few short film projects because i could, because i had a camera pkg. i wouldnt change my purchase for anything.
so in my opinion, which ever camera fits the work you do, the sooner you get it, the sooner it will pay off!

Good point! But let's not forget about the person behind the camera too.... It makes a difference. You have no idea how much stuff from Alexa's and Epics I have received that is a disaster. Users sometimes believe as it is a camera with a good dynamic range and RAW codec that they canmoightbthe scene with a flashlight and we can fix it in post  :( :( :(
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
Hi Neuro,

You mean better than the 5D III ???

No, I mean 5DII - I base that statement on personal experience, and I don't have a 5DIII to compare.

Will post some pics when I get them processed, Mon/Tue most likely.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
I don't know why anyone would pre-order a professional camera in the first place without knowing exactly what they were getting - and more importantly, WHY they were getting it.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »
I don't know why anyone would pre-order a professional camera in the first place without knowing exactly what they were getting - and more importantly, WHY they were getting it.

Spoken by one who doesn't get it. It's the most expensive,

"...and that makes it the best. And don't I deserve the best?!?"
    ---Gaston, in Disney's Beauty and the Beast

(Just to be clear, that was sarcasm.  ;)  )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 07:04:10 AM »

I do a lot of things because they open up opportunities rather than buy for a specific job.

A camera purchase is a strategic purchase for me - I expect to have it for years.

I have preordered a 1DX as an addition to the 1DS3 and 1D4 - not as a replacement. I didn't go for a 5DIII as for me I have that ground covered so it didn't give me new opportunities.

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »

I do a lot of things because they open up opportunities rather than buy for a specific job.

A camera purchase is a strategic purchase for me - I expect to have it for years.

I have preordered a 1DX as an addition to the 1DS3 and 1D4 - not as a replacement. I didn't go for a 5DIII as for me I have that ground covered so it didn't give me new opportunities.

Have you already gotten the 1Dx?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »