September 22, 2014, 08:51:06 PM

Author Topic: Cancelled 1dx pre order.  (Read 10244 times)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled 1dx pre order.
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »
I don't know why anyone would pre-order a professional camera in the first place without knowing exactly what they were getting - and more importantly, WHY they were getting it.

I do a lot of things because they open up opportunities rather than buy for a specific job.

A camera purchase is a strategic purchase for me - I expect to have it for years.

I have preordered a 1DX as an addition to the 1DS3 and 1D4 - not as a replacement. I didn't go for a 5DIII as for me I have that ground covered so it didn't give me new opportunities.
I don't think you need to justify your decision, Brian, since you already have 1-series cameras and know exactly what to expect from the 1DX.  It's more the people with the mentality Neuro was referring to above that I was talking about.  :)
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
I don't know why anyone would pre-order a professional camera in the first place without knowing exactly what they were getting - and more importantly, WHY they were getting it.

I do a lot of things because they open up opportunities rather than buy for a specific job.

A camera purchase is a strategic purchase for me - I expect to have it for years.

I have preordered a 1DX as an addition to the 1DS3 and 1D4 - not as a replacement. I didn't go for a 5DIII as for me I have that ground covered so it didn't give me new opportunities.

Have you already gotten the 1Dx?

I ordered it about 2 weeks ago. I am in no rush for it - September would be ideal

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
That's a good answer.  The 5D Mark III actually did open opportunities for me, really a lot for wedding photography and low-light photography.  In these situations, I really need the auto ISO in manual mode and in some cases it's nice to have in-camera HDR and ME.  I've been using those features quite a bit lately.  I was a 5D Mark II user, so yes, the Mark III improved my photographic opportunities quite a bit.

The 1Ds III, while brilliant, doesn't do well at high ISO's compared to the 5D Mark III.  However, it does much better at low ISO's than the 5D Mark III.  Both cameras are high resolution, so that pair teams up really well for me.

The 1D Mark IV I love because of faux M mode, and the fps, along with build and active AF spot-metering.  It's a great camera for action and sports.  I also very much enjoy the 1.3x crop factor.

And last but not least, when I get the 1D X, again, it makes sense for me.  Higher ISO capabilities vs. the 1D Mark IV at sports and indoor action, will be a giant upgrade.  The two pair very well together, as with the 1D Mark IV I can reach farther and with the 1D X I can shoot at higher shutter speeds in lower light. 

All bases and opportunities covered.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »