August 23, 2014, 03:55:34 PM

Author Topic: Should I get the 5dmk3 now or wait for possible unannounced 24-70mk2 kit  (Read 4183 times)

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I currently have a trip to Maui planned for the first week in Oct. and my wife told me it would be a great reason to go out and buy a 5dmk3 (Yeah I was shocked too).  My issue is that I lack lens to really take advantage of the 5dmk3 if I pick it up.

Have the following lenses
10-22
18-55
18-200
100 macro (non-usm)
35L
50 1.4

With the idea to fill out the gaps in my kit, I had gone ahead and pre-ordered the 24-70mk2 back in March.  Recently, I heard of 5dmk3 24-70mk2 kits on pre-order in Australia and thought that if there is a kit, I might as well get the kit to save a few hundred dollars.  With the idea of picking them both up this week and then having 2.5 months to play with the lens and the camera to get a feel for when I go to Hawaii.  However, now that the 24-70 has been delayed to the end of Sept.  I am concerned that the lens won't arrive in time before i leave, and even if it did and i got the kit, it would only give me a week or two to play with the camera and get used to it.

Now, if there isn't going to be a kit, then I would just go ahead and pick up the 5dmk3 now (or wait at least until after the announcement coming later this month).  Though be gimped with my lenses as I really prefer shooting on my 10-22mm.  So far this year, this lens accounts for over a 1/3 of all my pictures.

5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
I'd get your body now (before your wife changes her mind  ;)), so you have time to learn, enjoy, and get adjusted to the new feel.  I wouldn't gamble on such a kit or even being available in time.  If my wife gave me the green light, it would be ordered that minute with next day delivery. 

I would also sell your first 3 lens and use that towards a 16-35II.  That takes care of your 10-22 crop range.   If you are keeping your crop body, then that can become your "reach" body.

...My issue is that I lack lens to really take advantage of the 5dmk3...
What about your 35L?

Edit:   Oh and you could always rent a 24-105 or mkI 24-70 for your trip if you don't have your mkII in time. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:43:02 AM by RC »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
I really doubt we'll see a Canon kit.  What you're likely seeing is retailer 'bundles' where a lens and body are sold together with a discount.   

Sounds like you need a 16-35L II, anyway, unless you're usually shooting the 10-22mm in the 15-22mm range. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
10-22
18-55
18-200
100 macro (non-usm)
35L
50 1.4

Though be gimped with my lenses as I really prefer shooting on my 10-22mm.  So far this year, this lens accounts for over a 1/3 of all my pictures.

If you shoot ultrawide a lot, the 16-35/2.8 seems a natural choice - or the 17-40/4 if you want to save some $$$, carry less weight and don't depend on the best sharpness.

Did you really think the 24-70ii decision through? Maybe a lens with IS would suit tourism needs better, and after all you already got the 35mm & 50mm primes! Have a second look at the very good 24-105/4 kit (longer on the zoom end, w/o your 18-200 you'll have to tele capability at all) or at the Tamron 24-70vc which is available now if you want f2.8.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
You may also want to check out the 14mm and 17mm primes. I also love to use wide angle lenses, but I do prefer primes in this area (currently owning the 14mm prime and 17-40mm zoom). While the 14mm will give you a focus length similar to a 22mm on crop, you will have a stunning super-wide on full-frame. In this way you will replace using your 10-22mm zoom with something at least somewhat similar, although the optical quality should be different.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
10-22
18-55
18-200
100 macro (non-usm)
35L
50 1.4

Though be gimped with my lenses as I really prefer shooting on my 10-22mm.  So far this year, this lens accounts for over a 1/3 of all my pictures.

If you shoot ultrawide a lot, the 16-35/2.8 seems a natural choice - or the 17-40/4 if you want to save some $$$, carry less weight and don't depend on the best sharpness.

Did you really think the 24-70ii decision through? Maybe a lens with IS would suit tourism needs better, and after all you already got the 35mm & 50mm primes! Have a second look at the very good 24-105/4 kit (longer on the zoom end, w/o your 18-200 you'll have to tele capability at all) or at the Tamron 24-70vc which is available now if you want f2.8.

The decision for the 24-70mk2 was not specifically for tourism.  I decided to pick it up because sometimes the 35L would either be too wide or too long in situations where i can't move where I am.  I figured I'd get the 24-70mk2 as my midrange zoom and save the 35L for lowlight shots.  With the 50 used for portraits.

I thought long and hard about the Tamron actually.  I figured i'd be using the 24-70 in general to take pictures of people, and in that case the IS wouldn't be as useful.  Also, i'm a brand whore/like having the best. I'll admit it.  When possible I go canon. 

I looked at my LR stats and telephoto shots only accounted for 1/6 of all my shots.  And all those shots were of the moon, or planes flying overhead.  I do plan on picking up a 70-200L 2.8 IS at some point, but will probably wait till next year when i have the money.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
You may also want to check out the 14mm and 17mm primes. I also love to use wide angle lenses, but I do prefer primes in this area (currently owning the 14mm prime and 17-40mm zoom). While the 14mm will give you a focus length similar to a 22mm on crop, you will have a stunning super-wide on full-frame. In this way you will replace using your 10-22mm zoom with something at least somewhat similar, although the optical quality should be different.

Yeah, this was another lens i was contemplating for the UWA end.  But it is very expensive.  This lens is probably where i want to end up.  This or the 14mm zoom that Canon released a patent on recently.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I currently have a trip to Maui planned for the first week in Oct. and my wife told me it would be a great reason to go out and buy a 5dmk3 (Yeah I was shocked too).  My issue is that I lack lens to really take advantage of the 5dmk3 if I pick it up.

10-22
18-55
18-200
100 macro (non-usm)
35L
50 1.4

With the idea to fill out the gaps in my kit, I had gone ahead and pre-ordered the 24-70mk2 back in March.  Recently, I heard of 5dmk3 24-70mk2 kits on pre-order in Australia and thought that if there is a kit, I might as well get the kit to save a few hundred dollars.  With the idea of picking them both up this week and then having 2.5 months to play with the lens and the camera to get a feel for when I go to Hawaii.  However, now that the 24-70 has been delayed to the end of Sept.  I am concerned that the lens won't arrive in time before i leave, and even if it did and i got the kit, it would only give me a week or two to play with the camera and get used to it.

Now, if there isn't going to be a kit, then I would just go ahead and pick up the 5dmk3 now (or wait at least until after the announcement coming later this month).  Though be gimped with my lenses as I really prefer shooting on my 10-22mm.  So far this year, this lens accounts for over a 1/3 of all my pictures.

What do you need in FF? A 7D would be good for your trip if you already have the lenses to go with it.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse

Go for the body NOW before the wife changes her mind  ;D

If you like 10-22, then 16-35L will do it for 5D. Your 35L and/or 50 f1.4 will cover most of shooting.

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

10-22
18-55
18-200
100 macro (non-usm)
35L
50 1.4

What do you need in FF? A 7D would be good for your trip if you already have the lenses to go with it.

I've been wanting to move up to FF for the past few months and the wife gave me the go ahead cause we are going on a trip.  It's not necessarily for the trip that i want the camera.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
What you do in this case is get the kit with the 24-105L lens.  This solves all of your problems.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
What you do in this case is get the kit with the 24-105L lens.  This solves all of your problems.

That's what I said :-) ... @squarebox: Maybe have a look at your Lightroom stats again, how many shots did you do with open aperture - so is f2.8 really necessary considering you've already got the primes? And then look at the LR stats for zoom length (you can create a smart filter for this, zoom lenght > x and < y) - is dropping the 70-105 range on the zoom a good idea :-p ?

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

That's what I said :-) ... @squarebox: Maybe have a look at your Lightroom stats again, how many shots did you do with open aperture - so is f2.8 really necessary considering you've already got the primes? And then look at the LR stats for zoom length (you can create a smart filter for this, zoom lenght > x and < y) - is dropping the 70-105 range on the zoom a good idea :-p ?

That's a great way to look at it.

Looking at my stats from the 24-100mm range, 80%+ of my shots were at max aperture, which might not help cause we are talking in the range of f3.5-5.6.

The other thing is that moving up to FF should get me a few stops increase in light performance, so when i see apertures i'm thinking how they work for me on the crop sensor and with weaker ISO capabilities.  So just by moving to the 5D, F4 might work for me. 

bdunbar79

• View Profile

That's a great way to look at it.

Looking at my stats from the 24-100mm range, 80%+ of my shots were at max aperture, which might not help cause we are talking in the range of f3.5-5.6.

The other thing is that moving up to FF should get me a few stops increase in light performance, so when i see apertures i'm thinking how they work for me on the crop sensor and with weaker ISO capabilities.  So just by moving to the 5D, F4 might work for me.

Well, then the next question is, what are you shooting?  An aperture wider than f/4 is going to give you a pretty darn thin focal plane and your DOF is going to be tiny.  If you are outside in Hawaii, it's sunny.  If you shoot low-light indoors, don't open the aperture, get a good flash.  That way you maintain DOF with a narrower aperture.  I'm just thinking out loud here.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
whichever mid-range zoom i get, would become my walk around lens.  Since i was hoping to take pictures of people mostly, i figure the IS wouldn't be as useful as say the small aperture.  I do have a 600ex, but have had limited success in using it at bars as the ceilings are all kinds of colors.  But this is just lack of experience, and something i plan to practice more with.

I'd save the primes for portraits and low light.