November 27, 2014, 03:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Update - APS-C? [CR2]  (Read 18882 times)

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrorless Update - APS-C? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »
APS-C mirrorless from Canon is good news!

Because then there is still a chance for a full frame version.

I will be waiting.
It will be a very LONG wait.  I doubt that Canon will do a FF mirrorless system (Body and lenses) within 10 years.
Not really. I think Canon will go for full frame mirrorless sooner than later. If not, then Nikon or Sony will beat them to it. :)

The demand is definitely out there. I saw a rather big poll at Fred Miranda not long ago, where they asked what people wanted in a mirrorless camera. "Full frame" dominated the poll completely.

And besides, Leica is already standing at the mirrorless full frame hill, taunting the others. We'll see who goes first.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:05:08 PM by Ricku »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »
Camera is a personal item.  Everybody has his own preference.  A lot of people feels that the Rebel is too small and cannot hold it comfortably let alone it is unbalance with a longer and heavier lens.  Obviously, a lot of people like it. It is the best selling Canon DSLR. I will not buy a 1D due to the size and weight regardless of the price and some people will feel that anything other 1D is not comfortable for them. Between the 20D and 7D, the 7D has grown only 0.2 inches in length and 0.1 inches in height. For me the 20D size fit me perfectly.

Ale

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
As the recent rumors are telling that Canon's DO technology is well and alive, I wouldn't be surprised if they released some DO lenses to the mirrorless lineup to keep lens sizes smaller than they would "normally" be. The current DO lenses are tele lenses only, but I recall reading some other DO patent news of shorter focal lengths.

DO pancake, anyone?  ;)

When it comes to body design, I'm betting more on a GX1 style than SX1. We'll see...

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »

Someone help me out here :)  I can't see what's wrong with the current (and possibly future) lineup of SLRs and P&S cameras.

Thanks

There are some of us who think that DSLR bodies have grown too large. We don't want to lug around a 2.5 lb Pro Body DSLR or a 2+ lb DSLR.  My 16.2Mp Sony NEX 5n (APS-C, 1.5 crop) weighs 7.4 Oz. A 24Mp NEX 7 (APS-C, 1.5 crop) weighs 9.3 Oz. Are you starting to get the picture ??? Small light weight cameras that produce high quality files are what we want. The Sony NEX and Olympus OM-D E-M5 (15 Oz) are what many photographers want/need. These cameras may look like toys to you, but they are producing magazine covers and advertising photos. Hopefully the upcoming Canon Mirrorless with be good enough to join the party.

BTW there will be no future P&S cameras, they will be replaced by smart phones :)

See, that's where I  don't get it; my wife's 4s is the *only* half way 'keepable' phone camera but it is nothing compared to any of canon's entry-level IS cameras.

The S95 is tiny but I can create better shots out of it than some of the parents with DSLRs at my kids games. 

The SX40IS type cameras are super light and get great IQ for the price, which brings me back to the original point:
We're pretty sure this camera's price isn't going to be cheap and nothing is going to be revolutionary on it . . . so is this all just a case of people being excited because at some point in the future they're going to be great?

Is there really anything exciting here or are we talking about Neapolitan Ice-cream where you sorta get a little of everything but there's nothing to really love?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »
Or they could play off of this style of camera with a modern take.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:31:10 PM by pdirestajr »
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

hoghavemercy

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
What's the pricing on these?

chito

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Why do people keep insisting that it will use EF and EF-S lenses without an adapter?   The flange focal distance for the EF mount is 44 mm...    Unless you think the Canon mirrorless will be chunky like the Pentax K-01.. then it will most certainly have a new lens mount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
Or they could play off of this style of camera with a modern take.

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME IN APS-C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
I hope not. That will make it not even coat-pocketable.

im not sure if "pocketable" is a concern for canon when it comes to the new mirrorless camera.
APS-C is not the way to go then. the body can be small but as you see on NEX.. the lenses are not.

they will sure try to make it smaller then the SX1... but i would not be suprised when it resembles a bridge/DSLR look.
It will be coat-pocketable if a pancake prime is used. The zooms are too big.

Even 5D is coat-pocketable if a pancake prime is used :D. However, I wouldn't carry it in a pocket anyways ... a small camera bag is much much better for carrying such expensive and fragile equipment.
FF + primes !

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »
Based on the latest update...the Canon mirrorless sounds like a TOTAL disappointment for this photographer.  Canon hit ALL of the points that I do NOT care about....like small size...being the MAIN one. OH well...I will keep Canon around for my FF needs! LOL!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
i guess that´s how the canon mirrorless will look.. more or less:

no honest i think it will resemble more a DSLR then a PEN or GF.
I hope not. That will make it not even coat-pocketable.

ANYTHING APS-C sensor will be perhaps knap-sackable.  Get real. LOL!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »

im not sure if "pocketable" is a concern for canon when it comes to the new mirrorless camera.
APS-C is not the way to go then. the body can be small but as you see on NEX.. the lenses are not.

they will sure try to make it smaller then the SX1... but i would not be suprised when it resembles a bridge/DSLR look.

The only M4/3 camera that I'd buy is the Olympus OM-D E-M5, it's 4.8 inch (W) x 3.5 inch (H) x 1.7 inch (D) and weighs 15 Oz with battery and memory card. Not what I'd call a small pocketable camera. Add to that a lens length of 1.7" to 2.9" (12mm f/2.0 and 75mm f/1.8 ) and they won't even fit in the pocket of Cargo Shorts :) My Sony NEX 5n (APS-C) isn't really pocketable, even with the 16mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

If I need a pocketable camera, I use my iPod Touch 4G :)
Now your are talkin!!!!!!  Canon missed the whole point to mirrorless! SMALL...SMALL & SMALL! LOL!

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »

The only M4/3 camera that I'd buy is the Olympus OM-D E-M5, it's 4.8 inch (W) x 3.5 inch (H) x 1.7 inch (D) and weighs 15 Oz with battery and memory card. Not what I'd call a small pocketable camera. Add to that a lens length of 1.7" to 2.9" (12mm f/2.0 and 75mm f/1.8 ) and they won't even fit in the pocket of Cargo Shorts :) My Sony NEX 5n (APS-C) isn't really pocketable, even with the 16mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

If I need a pocketable camera, I use my iPod Touch 4G :)
Now your are talkin!!!!!!  Canon missed the whole point to mirrorless! SMALL...SMALL & SMALL! LOL!
Unfortunately, either camera have good ergonomics.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »

intown

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »

BTW there will be no future P&S cameras, they will be replaced by smart phones :)

Completely agree. 

I think the majority of camera owners will never own a camera that costs more than $350 but they will own a smartphone that will take pictures as good as a P&S.  These pictures will never be printed they will just be sent in text messages and posted to Facebook.  IMO some of the new smart phones do a great job for this level of photography.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

Mirrorless - Replaces G-series PowerShots and all Rebels, 3 - 5 models total

I doubt that will be happening soon. Not until there is a huge breakthrough in EVF technology (in both performance and cost). The optical view finder on the Rebel beats any existing EVF anytime.

I agree with you that we're ages away from an EVF that can even pretend to compete with the real thing, even the dark and dinky ones on a Rebel.

However, I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of Rebel owners already mostly use live view anyway. Note, that's the majority of those who own Rebels, and certainly not the majority of Rebel owners who read Canon Rumors -- those are two entirely distinct sets of people.

But the EVF problem is yet another reason why there'll never be a full-frame mirrorless Canon camera. The only reason for full-frame is image quality, and APS-C is already overkill for the largest desktop printers. The only reason for mirrorless is to make something you can slip in the opposite pocket from your cellphone. If you're really making 24" x 36" and bigger prints, fitting your camera in your pocket is the least of your photographic challenges.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »