October 01, 2014, 12:45:34 PM

Author Topic: Voigtländer 28mm f/2.8 Color Skopar Pancake Lens in EF Mount  (Read 8598 times)

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Voigtländer 28mm f/2.8 Color Skopar Pancake Lens in EF Mount
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
Wow...I am learning a lot here...and I'd like to thank you again for being so helpful. Your honest, intelligent assessments have given me some food for thought.

Thanks :-).  Honestly I like this place a lot more now that the Smite button is gone. <grin>

I have the Zeiss 21mm and would not give it up for another.

Yep, I understand completely.  I've owned a lot of Zeiss glass:

- 50mm f/1.4 Planar (C/Y mount, adapted)
 - 28mm f/2.8 Distagon (C/Y mount, adapted)
 - 35mm f/1.4 Distagon (C/Y mount, adapted)
 - 50mm f/1.4 Planar (native ZE mount)

Zeiss has a very different drawing style than Canon and emphasizes different aspects (e.g. microcontrast) that make the images seem more "alive".  Congrats on that 21, it's great investment.  Most reviewers conclude that it's one of the best wide-angle SLR optics on the planet, full stop.  If you ever have to sell it you'll probably get fairly close to what you put into it.  Certainly it won't depreciate with age.

I use a Sigma 50mm f/1.4....

Another nice lens.  I feel it's a bit big & heavy for a 50mm, but then on a 5D it probably balances better.

Obviously, I am considering a 28mm for my Mark III....and I have yet to read an inspiring review of ANY 28mm...

Well, to tide yourself over maybe you should go pick up a new 40mm Canon pancake.  I'm grabbing one as soon as I get paid again.  The bang-for-buck factor on that thing is amazing.

Personally I really like Distagons a lot.  I currently use an adapted 35mm f/1.4 as the "normal" lens for my 40D.  I gave that 28 to my brother for Christmas last year, & he's done some great stuff with it so far.

I assume that if you've already got the 16-35 II and you're looking for a 28mm, it's either because you want something smaller or you're unhappy with the performance of the 16-35.

If it's a performance problem, you might check your autofocus calibration on it.  Also, read through the reviews of the lens & check if the things that bother you were noted in the review.  If you seem to have unique problems, then it's either a focus calibration issue or you truly have a bad copy.

Both Digilloyd & Photozone give the Zeiss 28mm f/2 a lot of praise, but mark it down a bit for the field curvature issue.  Evidently it's not too bad & unless you really need sharp corners it's probably not a showstopper.  I agree that a $1k lens shoudn't have this issue though, espeically a Zeiss.  In my case, the curvature is almost certainly completely outside the APS-C frame, so I'd been considering one...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »
Ok...this is disappointing... I wrote to Voigtlander t o inquire about the new 28mm.  Their response contained the following info:

"New SLII-N Color Skopar f2.8/28mm with Canon EOS and Nikon AI-S mount will
launch soon.
The first delivery of this lens will be end of July / beginning of August.
Lens with Canon mount does not have CPU integrated, only with Nikon AI-S
mount.".

I am definitely bummed that there is no CPU coupling for the lens. I would not purchase a manual focus lens without CPU coupling...ESPECIALLY in that price range. Curious that they hook up the Nikon, but not the Canon?????
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
Ok...this is disappointing... I wrote to Voigtlander t o inquire about the new 28mm.  Their response contained the following info:

launch soon.
mount.".

I am definitely bummed that there is no CPU coupling for the lens. I would not purchase a manual focus lens without CPU coupling...ESPECIALLY in that price range. Curious that they hook up the Nikon, but not the Canon?????

Could be a licensing type thing, or some quirk that makes the Canon much harder or more expensive to support.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

funkboy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
launch soon.  The first delivery of this lens will be end of July / beginning of August.
mount."

Thanks for posting that.  Its definitely strange given that all their other EF lenses are fully electronic (except for focus of course).  Just having correct exif data is a big bonus.

But I wouldn't put toooo much stock into the response of one support person on an unreleased product though.  Look at the specs on the original web page from the first link:

Connection   AI-S (CPU integrated)     Canon EOS

That's probably what he/she was quoting, and since "EOS" doesn't say "CPU integrated" next to it the person that responded to you may have been misled (because notably the Pentax KA version of the original Zeiss ZF series, as well as a lot of other SL series type lenses that Cosina did didn't have any electronics in them).

Of the telltale signs that the EOS version will in fact probably be electronic is that just like all the other Voigt lenses that come in F and EF mounts, the EF mount version of the new 28 weighs & costs a little more than the Nikon mount version, & is a little bigger (notably it's a little fatter in order to fit the electronic diaphragm in there).  All the other electronic Voigtlanders are just like that.

Anyway, I'd reserve judgement until I see a picture of the EOS version.  If it doesn't have an aperture ring, then its the same as the ZE series and other electronic Voigtländers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:20:20 PM by funkboy »

funkboy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
The cool thing is that they may be shipping in less than a month!

But some other spiffy stuff can be gleaned from the specs:

• It's a pancake!
  • 9 diaphragm blades should mean pretty good bokeh
  • 52mm filters are nice & cheap, & the same as the Canon nifty 50
  • Minimum focus distance & macro capability are similar to the 20mm Color Skopar, which is unusual & very cool for this type of lens
  • It will probably vignette quite a bit wide-open like most pancakes
  • My old C/Y Distagon was 7 elements in 7 groups (this one is 7E in 6G), so I imagine it's a fairly similar design with a significant revisit for compactness.
  • Did I mention it's a pancake?!?

BTW it was on DPreview today.

Here's the element layout.  It's a baby classic Distagon with an aspherical element :-). 
I'd want to see an MTF chart before I order one, but image quality should be very good indeed.  This is just a wild-ass guess but I'd say it'll be in the same ballpark as its 20mm Color Skopar brother but probably better as 28mm is a lot less ambitious than 20mm, and also a more common/classic focal length.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:29:06 PM by funkboy »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

launch soon.
mount.".

probably because the 20mm the canon got hooked up and the nikon didnt :P
bummer really because the 20mm is a very nice little package
and now i have the 40mm pancake too i can carry the 20mm and the 40mm with the 85mm as a very light walk around kit that give me great coverage and takes very little room i still love the 16-35 II though
APS-H Fanboy

funkboy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
The EF mount version of this lens is now available for pre-order at B&H, just in time for Potatokina:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890581-REG/Voigtlander_bd296e_28mm_F_2_8_SL_II_Lens_Canon.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »