September 30, 2014, 10:12:16 AM

Author Topic: AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]  (Read 19137 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
User preference known by Canon
I have been talking to various professionals about what they think about the black AF points on Canon’s new 61 point AF system. I have yet to find one that doesn’t have at least one issue with it.

A lot of people are finding it hard and/or impossible to see which AF point is selected when shooting in dark conditions, like a wedding reception. There are also people telling me they’re having trouble tracking birds in flight with the 1D X and the black AF points.

Solution
I have been told that Canon is aware users aren’t particularly happy with the way the AF points are displayed to the shooter. I’m told there is a “solution coming” that “may not be ideal for everyone”. There is no timetable for any firmware update as of yet.

Most users want the AF system to operate like the previous 1D camera did, always lit red when AF is engaged.

I’m posting this to lend my vote to the growing number of people that want some kind of fix. I had trouble last weekend with the 1D X and tracking birds myself.

More to come.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
Re: AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
looking forward to some sort of a fix hope it comes soon :)

max

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
I work at weddings and it drives me nuts!!

Where do I sign?

bosk

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
I have the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and I am not quite sure when AF is lit red. Sometimes it lits red, sometimes not. I prefer that it is always lit red!
According to which settings the AF lits red?

It is also driving me crazy!

Regards
bosk

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
I have a 5D M3, and after shorting extensively with the 1D series I find it a mixed blessing.   Mostly like the camera (a lot) but the black sensor pt is difficult (at times near impossible) to use.   Also miss write camera settings to card (before sending the camera back to Canon to be cleaned)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
I have the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and I am not quite sure when AF is lit red. Sometimes it lits red, sometimes not. I prefer that it is always lit red!
According to which settings the AF lits red?

It is also driving me crazy!

Regards
bosk

When you are changing the AF point/settings via the buttons/joystick it'll appear in red. If you use the AF point change button, they all turn on in red, which is why I'll sometimes use that button, put the AF point I want over the subject, and then start the AF and let it lock and then it'll track fine in AI Servo, even though I can't really see the AF point which is very annoying.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
*chimes in* If AI Servo gets to have black focus points I'd be happy, always a red confirmation would be even better.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »

sephknite

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
/Agreed.

The only thing I can find is have the points blink red on focus, then it turns back to black points.

Would be nice if we can see in other colors too, not just red. :D

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
I use a 5D and a 20D, and I always use them in AI-servo.  I shoot from weddings to airshows.  The unlit points have never even crossed my mind.  Is there something about the cameras in question that makes this an issue on them where it's not on my 5D and 20D?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »
I use a 5D and a 20D, and I always use them in AI-servo.  I shoot from weddings to airshows.  The unlit points have never even crossed my mind.  Is there something about the cameras in question that makes this an issue on them where it's not on my 5D and 20D?

It's that the currently selected one is not even shown in red, even if it switches in AI Server or even in One Shot. It'll be black, focus confirm blinks it red then back to black, and then stays black.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »

It's that the currently selected one is not even shown in red, even if it switches in AI Server or even in One Shot. It'll be black, focus confirm blinks it red then back to black, and then stays black.
which is just like my 50D. Was really hoping to stay red on this one. Looking forward to a fix!

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »

which is just like my 50D. Was really hoping to stay red on this one. Looking forward to a fix!

We'll see. As CR guys said, "may not be ideal for everyone". I'll wait and see what they call the solution before deciding it's really fixed for me.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

Isn't that what my 5D and 20D do as well?  I'm trying to figure out why this bothers anyone when I've shot >100,000 shots with mine with never a thought.  Do the points look different when unlit on these newer cameras than they do on mine?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
I have been told that Canon is aware users aren’t particularly happy with the way the AF points are displayed to the shooter. I’m told there is a “solution coming” that “may not be ideal for everyone”. There is no timetable for any firmware update as of yet.

YES! The return of Eye Controlled Focus!

meh...

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
Effectively, they add $1000 worth of improved auto focus... and then make one little mistake that renders the improved AF handicapped in numerous situations.

[SMH]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »