November 21, 2014, 01:57:38 PM

Author Topic: AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]  (Read 19912 times)

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
Re: AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
Use the single shot blink red option, and you don't need to worry.

I looked for something like this in both the manual and in the menu, but couldn't find it. How do I change it?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »
The real solution to the black AF points is a 1D4  8) 8) 8)

LostArk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »
The real solution to the black AF points is a 1D4  8) 8) 8)

You mean a D4  :'(

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 05:57:43 AM »
well, my 5D 2 has invisible AF points in Servo, so when i get my 1D X i'll be happy to have any points, even if they're black.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
The 5D Mark III by itself is a much, much more powerful tool than the 5D Mark II and 7D combined.  If you know how to use it (which most critics do NOT) you would know this.  If you are complaining about a black AF point, you really have problems to begin with in your photography anyways, so the differences between these cameras would be a non-issue.

Ah, another person who doesn't understand the meaning of 'sarcasm'. Sorry, was just poking some light-hearted humor at the "problem" at hand. (sigh) I guess that I don't know how to use my equipment so I should just keep my posts to myself.

Or better yet... maybe some 5D3 owners out there, some of them happen to be "REAL photographiers", who are having a REAL issue with this. Or maybe this is kind of like those who compalined of a "soft focus" issue with the 7D. Plenty of people scoffed at the "problem" and said it wasn't real and that it was a user issue and not a hardware issue. Google it and see how many people had the same "problem".  My own 7D had the same issue until I sent it in for an adjustment (under warranty), and now it works fine. Or maybe I just happened to "learn" how to take a photo in the week they had my Camera. (sigh again)

How about spreading some of your "wisdom" and help those who are having this issue instead of telling them that their skills "suck"? (my words)

Hmmmm.  ::)

D

Ok, fair enough.  I didn't realize you were being sarcastic.  I'm big enough of a person to remove my post then, and apologize.  I'm sorry.  Your skills obviously don't suck and that isn't what I intended to say, but nonetheless, the post is gone.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
For me personally the function like the 5D2 would be enough. I dont need it on all the time..especially if it cant be done without the light affecting measurements. Just have it the way it was before and i'm happy.

Pompo

Re: surprised nobody mentioned how bad it is with fast primes!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
I'm surprised nobody in here ever complained about using the 85L or any other fast primes! In bright daylight with those lenses the black AF points turn greyish/cream color, almost invisible since the brigheter lenses bring in a  lot more light.

The red dont even bother turning it on in daylight since with those primes 99% of times you wont even see the difference when it's lit up!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:46:57 PM by Pompo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm surprised nobody in here ever complained about using the 85L or any other fast primes! In bright daylight with those lenses the back AF points turn greyish/cream color, almost invisible since the brigheter lenses bring in a  lot more light.

The red dont even bother turning it on in daylight since with those primes 99% of times you wont even see the difference when it's lit up!

1.  Yes, I'm surprised nobody complained too.  Give it time.
2.  Maybe Canon should go to bright flluorescent green AF points from now on.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
I wonder why this issue gained so much momentum with the 5D3 and 1DX when the 7D behaves the same and it's on the market for some time.
Well, whatever the reason, I'm glad that they are finally doing something to improve it.

Pompo

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
I wonder why this issue gained so much momentum with the 5D3 and 1DX when the 7D behaves the same and it's on the market for some time.
Well, whatever the reason, I'm glad that they are finally doing something to improve it.

I think for two reasons:
  • 7D doesn't nearly have as many AF points so its easier to remember the location of the selected af point
  • a lot of 7D users are either shooting video with it or aren't seasoned pros/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:38:21 PM by Pompo »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »

Two reasons, I'd say.  First, many complaints are from 5-series and 1-series users who probably have no 7D experience. Second, subjectively I'd say the red light illumination on my 7D is 30-40% brighter than on my 1D X.

FWIW, I mentioned the issue with ultrafast lenses washing out the transmissive LCD, although it certainly wasn't phrased as a complaint.

I shot in AI Servo last night, outdoor concert, relatively poor light, no problem seeing the AF points.  In auto selection (which is my preference in AI Servo because it allows the subject to be tracked through the extent of the AF array and also activates the iTR system on the 1D X), the AF points 'dance' over the subject, making them pretty easy to see - even a Louisiana jazz musician's face.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
I dunno what everyone is complaining about I just use the force to work out where the AF point is, doesn't everyone?

:P
APS-H Fanboy

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »
Can somebody explain to me as I'm confused.  I'm seeing comments that the AF points still glow up red?

I have a 5D Mark II at the moment and want a 5D Mark III.  When I move focus around the points glow red.  When I focus on a point, it glows red before snapping the photo.

What's changed?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 04:23:44 AM »
I dunno what everyone is complaining about I just use the force to work out where the AF point is, doesn't everyone?
If only we were all as tuned into the Force as you. What an incredible ability!
Can somebody explain to me as I'm confused.  I'm seeing comments that the AF points still glow up red?
I have a 5D Mark II at the moment and want a 5D Mark III.  When I move focus around the points glow red.  When I focus on a point, it glows red before snapping the photo. What's changed?

Your selected 5D3 viewfinder AF point in AI Servo mode shows as black, unlike 5D2, 1D Mk4 etc which show your selected AF Point in easy to track illuminated RED. Photographers are having unexpected and unappreciated difficulty keeping their selected AF point on the subject in certain dark conditions or if the AF point is on a black suit for example. So Brian Squibb's comment that the solution to the black AF point issue is a 1D Mk4 is a completely authentic one. I'm on the lookout for a good, low mileage 1D4 as a buddy/twin for my 1D4.

Certainly it's a non-issue for some photographers, but still a very real, valid negative experience for plenty of others who don't appreciate the functionality downgrade.

PW

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 05:07:42 AM »
So is it only in AI-Servo mode it goes black?  Does the Single Shot still glow red?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 05:07:42 AM »