April 17, 2014, 03:19:49 PM

Author Topic: AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]  (Read 17187 times)

stefsan

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: AF Point Color on the 5D Mark III & 1D X Update [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 05:46:04 AM »
While they're at it for the 1DX and the 5DIII, I would appreciate a fix for the 7D as well. Normally it's not a problem causing me much trouble but I would definitely prefer the red focus point indicators in all shooting modes.
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/
http://stefsan.smugmug.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 05:46:04 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »
So is it only in AI-Servo mode it goes black?  Does the Single Shot still glow red?

Yes, if you set it to always illuminate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:06 AM »

this would be the perfect color cuz there arent so many situations where u get a color similar to it :D

markko

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
So is it only in AI-Servo mode it goes black?  Does the Single Shot still glow red?

What option on my 5Dmk3 am I missing to make this happen? I always shoot Single Shot and never see the focus points red (except for when they gained focus).

There is not much to complain about with the 5Dmk3, but missing the red focus point(s) is by far my number one complaint about the camera.

photophreek

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Pages 102 and 103 of the 5D  IIImanual(probably exactly the same for the 1Dx)  describes when and what color how the AF points will be illuminated.  As with the 7d, the AF Selection button must be pressed first and then the AF points will be illuminated and the VF grid will be illuminated in red.  This will only happen when in One Shot or AI focus mode and not if AI Servo is selected as the drive mode.  The 7d does exactly the same thing. 

With the 1D IV, you can make the AF point brighter and have the RED AF point on all the time in One Shot mode (there s no AI Focus available for the 1D IV or the 1Dx).  When in AI Servo using the 1D IV, with all 45 points selected in continuos shooting and Spot Metering linked to the AF point, the locked AF point will illuminate in red.   Hope this helps.

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

What option on my 5Dmk3 am I missing to make this happen? I always shoot Single Shot and never see the focus points red (except for when they gained focus).

There is not much to complain about with the 5Dmk3, but missing the red focus point(s) is by far my number one complaint about the camera.
"Always illuminate" doesn't mean that they stay illuminated, it means that they are always illuminated when focus is achieved, and indeed, only in One Shot mode. That's the behaviour you're already familiar with. Also, while manually selecting, the focus points become red. Other than that, it's all black. This is what is bugging people: they want a red flash in AI Servo as well.

Relevant page in the manual is 103 (Customizing AF Functions/VF display illumination); in the menu it's AF5>VF display illumination.

*chimes in* If AI Servo gets to have black focus points I'd be happy, always a red confirmation would be even better.
AI servo shoots whether in focus or not.  Thats why it doesn't light.  USE AI Servo when you will be happy with near focus shots, or maybe totally out of focus shots if you force it to fire.  On the 5D MK III and 1 DX, you can select in focus priority for only the first shot, or for all shots, it depends on the subject.
First of all, I found the option "AF point display during focus" (manual: page 102, menu: AF5>AF point display during focus) which gives me the used focus points during AI Servo. I probably disabled that while toying around, which I've done a lot over the past month and a half :D The "always show me black focus points in AI Servo" question was ill researched on my part and is now solved as far as I'm concerned :)

As for the remainder of your post: I know you can control focus or speed priority :) The 5D3 (I don't have the 1DX) can actually require focus, always shoot, or try to be clever about it. I have required focus set for 2nd shot and onwards, it's just the first picture that I'm allowing for the machine trying to balance speed and focus.

I'd be happy if it only lit up when perfect focus is achieved, but it doesn't even do that. It just NEVER lites up in AI Servo. And again: that's the issue at stake here.

BTW: does anyone EVER use AI Focus? :P

edit: well thank you Photophreek, way to beat me to it ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:22:01 PM by Rat »
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

Bob_McBob

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
I find the "always illuminate" mode even more annoying than just turning it off completely. I don't want the entire screen (all focus points as well as gridlines when enabled) to flash a glowing bright red every time I focus. I just want the selected AF point to give the same clear visual indicator of being selected and achieving focus as every single other Canon DSLR I've owned. It's such a glaring omission that I spent an hour or two trying to figure out which setting I had wrong when I first got my 5D3.

Keep in mind that the lens also flashes bright red when you use viewfinder illumination, so anyone looking at the front of your camera gets a clear visual indicator of when you are focusing. Others have reported that this is quite a problem when trying to shoot candid photos, especially in low light conditions where it's even more obvious.

I hadn't actually read about the low contrast display issue with fast lenses until today. I just tried my 50/1.4 on the 5D3 for the first time, and all the display features are now a light grey that provides very poor contrast and makes the selected point even harder to see.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »

this would be the perfect color cuz there arent so many situations where u get a color similar to it :D

...which is why I use this as my grid colour in Photoshop. Not sure about this colour as a focus point though.
Red is perfectly fine, proven and not as visually jarring like the bright aqua blue.

PW

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »

however even then its pretty dim and in contrasty light (shooting into the sun) impossible to see
APS-H Fanboy

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

...which is why I use this as my grid colour in Photoshop. Not sure about this colour as a focus point though.
Red is perfectly fine, proven and not as visually jarring like the bright aqua blue.

PW

But birght aqua blue is much more fun PW

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
BTW: does anyone EVER use AI Focus? :P

Errm... Rat, so you're just saying that you don't use AI Focus.

Sometime last century when I was a junior staff photographer on a metropolitan daily newspaper, I sometimes processed and printed the films sent back from major football games shot by a genius photographer who had an uncanny and rare ability to track focus almost 100% accurately with his manual focus Nikon 600 f/4. His unique sports shots consistently won national awards.

Fast forward to 2012. Now mere mortals can deliver consistent sharp images from action sports once they learn the strengths and weaknesses of their AI Focus function. Skilled action shooters can deliver shots that previously could barely even be contemplated. Look back at award winning sports images from 25 years ago. Today they'd barely make the cut. Thanks AI Focus (& high iso performance)

If all you shoot is static subjects then you're unlikely to use AI Servo. But most action shots you see whether they be action sports or a bride walking down the aisle, you can be pretty sure AI Servo helped deliver the goods.

PW

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
Thanks AI Focus (& high iso performance)

If all you shoot is static subjects then you're unlikely to use AI Servo. But most action shots you see whether they be action sports or a bride walking down the aisle, you can be pretty sure AI Servo helped deliver the goods.

Quite likely true about AI Servo. But...AI Servo is not the same as AI Focus.  Pros using 1-series bodies aren't using AI Focus - they can't, because it's not an option.  I actually didn't know that until I noticed its absence on my 1D X - One Shot and AI Servo are the only options.  In AI Focus, the camera acts like One Shot until it detects the subject is moving, then it switches to AI Servo.  In my experience, it's ok sometimes, especially if the subject starts moving abruptly but moves slowly, else it's often playing catch-up and missing focus.  I'm guessing that's why Rat made that comment...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »

Quite likely true about AI Servo. But...AI Servo is not the same as AI Focus. (...)  In my experience, it's ok sometimes, especially if the subject starts moving abruptly but moves slowly, else it's often playing catch-up and missing focus.  I'm guessing that's why Rat made that comment...
That's what I was aiming at. It's true I'm just saying I don't use AI Focus, but it is equally true I use AI Servo all the time - and it struck me that while I see discussions about AI Servo everywhere, I rarely read anything about AI Focus except for the odd 'useless as usual'. This is pretty much the first non-negative comment I've read about it :) I was just being curious if sb had any good experience with it at all, though I still can't imagine what it is good for. Baby photography or something? ;)

Keep in mind that the lens also flashes bright red when you use viewfinder illumination, so anyone looking at the front of your camera gets a clear visual indicator of when you are focusing. Others have reported that this is quite a problem when trying to shoot candid photos, especially in low light conditions where it's even more obvious.
Interesting observation and it is indeed rather visible. Canon, if you make the focus points red in AI Servo, pls give us a disable  ;D And of course I'll keep it in mind, esp for street photography, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:26:38 PM by Rat »
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »

Quite likely true about AI Servo. But...AI Servo is not the same as AI Focus.  Pros using 1-series bodies aren't using AI Focus - they can't, because it's not an option.

Hah! True, I owe Rat an apology. Sorry Mr Rat. As I have primarily used 1-Series bodies and just recently got a 5D3, AI FOCUS has been completely off my radar. It's quite likely off most photographers radar. I just read AI focus as AI Servo. I'm sure there are shooters who value the function, but like you I can barely see the point.

It's absence from 1-Series bodies speaks volumes. It looks like an invention from the marketing department who wanted more boxes to tick for consumer sales.

PW

Jared

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 07:12:06 AM »
Just because it hasn't been pointed out in plain black and white (and red) yet *insert Dr. Sheldon Cooper snigger/laugh*:

The 1DX and 5D3 both utilise a transmissive LCD screen overlay in the viewfinder allowing the af points, grid lines and other information to be displayed and removed at your whim. This is supposed to be advanced technology and a breakthrough of some sort, however it has also been the bane of our gripes with the new af system: no user-replaceable viewfinder screens, a dimmer viewfinder (especially so when the battery is removed completely from the camera - try it), and a lowered intensity of red light illumination.

The LCD is illuminated from the peripherae by small red LEDs when called upon. The red illumination isn't as intense as that in say a 1Ds3, 1D4, 5D2 etc. as the polarisable molecules in the transmissive LCD are what must scatter the red light back to the viewers eye and are unable to do so with as great an efficiency as the physically permanent af points etched into the plastic (or glass) of the afore-mentioned cameras focusing screens.

This means that it's unlikely Canon will be able to do anything about the dim red lighting when focus is achieved during daylight, which is somewhat useful when focusing - and a whole lot better on say the 5D2.

However, what Canon can do is offer an option such that the points are constantly illuminated when in AI Servo and thus the active af points will be lit red. This would concomitantly illuminate the grid if it is being displayed.

Hope that clears things up..
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:58:13 AM by Jared »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 07:12:06 AM »