October 25, 2014, 01:51:11 PM

Author Topic: New Upgraders (to FF) - what is your experience  (Read 8629 times)

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: New Upgraders (to FF) - what is your experience
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »
I went canon t1i, t2i, 60d the 5d iii.

Really glad I did. For the most part the 60d was close in good light but I bought the 5d for cleaner iso's and better quality lenses that are not all plastic like the great 15-85 or 17-55. It's an investment. I hardly use my speed lite but the 270 is way better than a pop up.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »
I went from a 300D to a 5D3. It was a leap beyond all that I imagined. Lots of learning. I got the kit lens with the camera and so I have that and my 100-400L. I would not worry about the weight. You get used to it. I did. About 50% of my pictures are shot with the 100-400L anyway. So the additional weight of the 5D3 did not bother me.

I do miss the 1.6x focal length multiplier of the 300D. So I am looking to get a 1.4x teleconverter for use with my 5D3. I also miss the pop-up flash. I need a fill flash many times and so am saving to get a 600EX. These are the only "down sides" of my upgrade.

Wideopen

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 03:00:26 AM »
I went from a t2i to a 7d to a 5dmarkiii. Im glad i went to full frame. The IQ is very noticeable. When i need speed and length i still turn to my 7d to cover that.

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:27 AM »
I went from a D30 to 40D to 5D3. My goal was to get the FF aspect and IQ. I have used the 5D2 borrowed for about 5000+ shots (landscape and portraits). 5D2 is enough for anyone not doing professional stuff. For a good while. I just could afford the Mark III, that's all.
Weight is not a big deal when you pay such a low price for a FF camera with  "contemporary" IQ (I mean the Mark III did not really improve much on that part :-X).
Flash: get some cheaper chinese flashes, they are probably not as good as good as original but might do the job for you until you overgrow them, or a 430.

Biggest deal on an FF are the LENSES ! This is expensive! Don't buy the kit lens - have you been happy with the Rebels kit lens? For how long? If yes, OK, go for it. The Mark 2 shines really with good lenses (Canon or alternatives, not going to discuss this here). But consider this: if you buy the 5D2 now what will be your next DSLR in about 5-7 years? What will be it's IQ? Think future - get the best possible lens you can afford (faster than f/4!) , if no zoom, no big deal, get a prime. For weight reasons a bought not a 70-200/2.8 but a 135/2. Cheaper too. So, ask yourself if you could go with let's say a 50 and a 135 for a start. If you need wider - go stitching.
Good luck!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
There is a huge difference, I went from a T2i to a 5DII and was amazed, I'm sure you will be too.  It's like stepping into a whole new world.   
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
I went from a Rebel to a 5DmkII last winter. Here's my take: It's my personal opinion that we will never get a better deal on a better camera than the 5DmkII right now. I would consider getting a brand new one so you have it for the long haul. It sounds like Canon's next FF entry level will be a step below the current 5DmkII, so I wouldn't wait until that switch is made. Strike now while the iron is hot.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
I don't really consider a FF camera as an "upgrade" to a crop sensor DSLR. They are different and can compliment each other. I like having 2 bodies with 2 different crop factors. Gives me a lot of options for focal lengths, pixel densities & DOF control.

I had a 7D first, then added a 5Dii. My opinion is that the 7D is a better "camera" in every way EXCEPT IMAGE QUALITY. And that is obviously a big deal.

I love that my 7D has a built-in wireless flash commander, more custom control s, built-in levels, Grid in viewfinder, faster FPS, more focus points, better Ai-Servo, a dedicated movie button...

I love that my 5Dii has a FF sensor, less noise, changeable focusing screens...
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.  So with today's rumour update on the "rebel" FF, I will digest and decide...
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
With all the cheap FF chatter I really started to think about upgrading from my crop sensor (T2i).  However, being somewhat of a long time reader on these forums, I am well aware that waiting for a rumoured product can be futile.

So the question:
5DIII is out for me (price), and with many still thinking highly of the the II, I was hoping to get some honest feedback of newly upgraded users of the 5D II - as this cam is coming down nicely in price (used). I understand the advantages of FF, thats why I am considering upgrading, but I want to get a feeling about frustrations/concerns, my main ones being:

> Weight - The II and the 24-105 L will probably be my 90% combo. So when travelling and lugging this around the whole day (BlackRapid strap) what are those ex-crop users feeling about managing the extra weight and did this cam make a big difference in their normal family style travel photos?
> Flash - I love using the built in flash for fill.  It sometimes just needed. Again when travelling and the light just demands you filling in those faces.  SO, new upgraders, do you sometimes get frustrated that the mark II doesn't have a built in flash?

I know about that there are many many satisfied users of the II out there, but I am hoping to get some honest feedback from those hobbyists/amateurs that recently upgraded from being long time crop users about their true experiences and, if any, frustrations.  Personally I expect that a cheap FF to be closer to a rebel than a xD which should address my 2 main concerns, but waiting is a b*tch

The 5Dc is a cheap FF camera that still delivers the goods for 700$. I can vouch that even in 2012, Its ISO performance is equal to any APS-C camera avaliable.

The jump from Crop to FF is quite nice. All your lenses will be sharper on FF.

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
I own both the 7D and 5D2 as well as the T1i. Honestly, I find myself grabbing my 7D more often than the 5D2. I love the quality of the images the 5D2 produces but there are times I want a fast APS-C camera. For a "grab and shoot" (without risk of losing my expensive cameras) I reach for my T1i w/ EF-s 60mm macro. Still takes amazing images and is easy to set-up. It's also compact, light and very easy to store.

Like has been said, I don't think FF is an "upgrade". There are advantages to APS-C and there are advantages to FF. I love being able to choose from both depending on that day's particular shooting needs.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
I went from numerous Pentax film cameras to a Sony R1, a 40D, and now a 5DIII.  The move to FF was fantastic, as my number 1 reason was IQ.  Looking forward to some more L glass...especially the 24-70II.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

paulc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
I went from an XTi to a 5Dc and oddly enough my main motivation was that my 28-135 would be wide on FF.  I thought I would flip between the two but so far I've not touched the Rebel since getting the big guy.

I definitely do prefer the rear display on the XTi though.  I realize the top mounted LCD is the traditional way it's done by dammit it's annoying to me.  Going to a 5DII would fix that, but that seems like a silly reason to swap.  As for the question of FF vs crop, I don't think I'm going back.  Maybe if there's a crop mirrorless that's really small and pocketable then sure, but for general SLRing around I'm sticking with FF.

adebrophy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • xtrashot PR and Photographic
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:18 AM »
I've just bought the 5dii after having a 40d and before that a 350D. Weightwise, there is a big jump from the rebel series but from the 40D it was actually surprisingly small - placing the two bodies side by side the weight difference seemed negligible.

Basically once you buy in to the mid range Canons that have a decent build quality the step to a 5d isn't great. The BIG difference in ergonomics and weight is moving to better lenses. So, with my 40D I was using a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and that was a big jump in weight from the Canon kit lenses. I suspect if you're on this forum you're quite keen to keep getting better equipment and upgrading the IQ so you're bound to be making that step to faster glass anyhow - that's when you'll face the weight issue regardless of FF or not!

I've also found the 24-105 very versatile and for the amount of lens its surprisingly well balanced and not much more of a drag to carry all day than a 40D with and f2.8 zoom. Having a good padded strap is a great plan with either option, though. I use an Op/Tech strap and its very comfortable.

So why go 5dii and not 7D? IQ!! It is all that, really. More importantly, the ability to get shallow DoF can't be overstated  - it adds a whole new dimension to what you can  achieve and does so even with a f4 (I'm certain I'm getting nicer shallow DoF with at f4 at 105 than I ever had at 50mm f2.8 on a crop sensor). See example below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adebrophy/7478432332/#in/photostream

Fill flash - yep - it's a bummer. But probably less so than you imagine - FF and better high ISO will mean the times you want the flash will reduce, but for those rare times I think I'll be buying something like a 270 flash for the bag.
5D mk ii, 40D, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 100 f2.8 L, Canon 135 f2 L, Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L,  Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 600 EX RT, 2x Canon 430ii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:18 AM »

adebrophy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • xtrashot PR and Photographic
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:50 AM »
Also - I've bought into the 5Dii knowing the AF would suck. And it really hasn't that much. Went out shooting a dragon boat race at the weekend and the AF (on centre point) did a good enough job. I do hate how close the selectable AF points  are to the centre though - on the 40D I would often select different points for focus but the 5D has taught me to use centre AF much more. Appreciate my comments are from a 40D upgrader so maybe I've just got used to the state of the art circa 2007!
5D mk ii, 40D, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 100 f2.8 L, Canon 135 f2 L, Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L,  Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 600 EX RT, 2x Canon 430ii

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 03:22:47 AM »
I went from a 60D to a 5D3 and the IQ from the 5D3 is superb in comparison to the 60D.
I do a lot of parties in mostly low light, and the 5D3 means I hardly have to touch an image whereas with the 60D I had to do some work to each and every image.
When you've got 600 odd images to process, that makes a lot of difference to me.

Lucklily for me, most of my lenses were L lenses anyway, and I now find my 24-105 is so versatile for indoor use as the 24mm is quite wide on the FF.

The focussing is also much better and faster and images just have such clarity that I could not get with my 60D unless I did a lot of work to the images.

I'm very happy I went FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 03:22:47 AM »