October 01, 2014, 07:35:30 PM

Author Topic: Samyang 35 1.4 adds grain?  (Read 5246 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Samyang 35 1.4 adds grain?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
The difference between Zeiss and Samyang 35/1.4 is that Zeiss has electronic aperture control. Samyang doesn't, it's all mechanical (good for Nikon :) ). IMHO, that chip isn't a must-have for that lens. It works for focus confirmation and adding some EXIF data like lens focal length or focus distance (I'm not sure about the last one), but you won't get any aperture information. I tried the focus confirmation with some lenses and it seems pretty useless for me. I think that MF screen is a better tool for that.

Thank you. Unfortunately I have (for the moment) decided not to buy the 1dx and am using the 5d3. Cant change screens on that!!!... :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
The difference between Zeiss and Samyang 35/1.4 is that Zeiss has electronic aperture control. Samyang doesn't, it's all mechanical (good for Nikon :) ). IMHO, that chip isn't a must-have for that lens. It works for focus confirmation and adding some EXIF data like lens focal length or focus distance (I'm not sure about the last one), but you won't get any aperture information. I tried the focus confirmation with some lenses and it seems pretty useless for me. I think that MF screen is a better tool for that.

Thank you. Unfortunately I have (for the moment) decided not to buy the 1dx and am using the 5d3. Cant change screens on that!!!... :(

Well, MF screen seems to work great when shooting through the OVF, but I'm using LiveView for manual focusing. I think it's the most accurate tool for focus and exposure.
FF + primes !

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »
WOAH! can u make a video of installing the chip? LOL! I had no idea that anything like this was even possible? Makes U wonder why Sam Yang is not installing the chip @ the factory....right?

I think there is a seller on eBay that sells the Canon mount Samyang with a chip already installed.

Yes, I also wonder why Samyang doesn't install chips for their Canon mount lens since their Nikon mount has one. (I actually have a chipped Nikon mount lens and use a chipped adapter)

That said, you can just epoxy it to the chrome ring that fits the lens to the body, just place it so the contacts are the same place as where the contacts are on a Canon lens. Obviously they are small so correct placement is critical.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »

Did not know the Zeiss had electronic aperture, but then I'm a low budget kinda guy and don't keep up with Zeiss so much...  ;)

I'm surprise you haven't had much luck focusing with the confirm chip, I've had good success and keeper rate is way up there. Another great focus aid for manual lenses is the Magic Lantern focus peaking in Live View if you have a body that can run ML.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
I have the 8mm and it does this also, it isn't the lens, I'm pretty sure it's the focusing screen or some other element above the mirror.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

Did not know the Zeiss had electronic aperture, but then I'm a low budget kinda guy and don't keep up with Zeiss so much...  ;)

I'm surprise you haven't had much luck focusing with the confirm chip, I've had good success and keeper rate is way up there. Another great focus aid for manual lenses is the Magic Lantern focus peaking in Live View if you have a body that can run ML.

Yes, ML is great. The confirm chip works, but it seems like 9 5D2 points are not enough to make the most of it.
FF + primes !

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
I noticed this as well. I also see it when I have my 70-200 f/4 fully zoomed-in to 200 on my 60D and there's something bright like blue sky in the frame; even at f/4.0 you can see the texture of the focusing screen. The standard Ef-A screen is quite bright, but also a bit grainy indeed.

I now switched from the Ef-A to the Ef-S screen, and it's much better. This screen gives you a bit darker viewfinder, but in return you get much better contrast and it shows the actual bokeh better. It's more easy to manually focus with this screen, which would be an advantage with the Samyang lens. If you use it with a wide aperture lens like 1.4, the viewfinder still has plenty of light.

Ray

How much was the focusing screen and how hard to install/how much was installation. I have thought I might like to add one to my 60d
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »