October 02, 2014, 01:30:12 PM

Author Topic: How to proceed?  (Read 4997 times)

criza

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
How to proceed?
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
I am very satisfied with my 60D, but I want to go full frame.

I want the (relative) best picture quality, and while my five lenses 15mm Fisheye, 24mm 1.4L, FD 55mm 1.2 converted to EF mount, 100L Macro and a 200 2.8L (with a 1.4 TC) can/could give me that quality, the 60D can't.

I am shooting a lot of people, as well as getting more and more into landscapes, I am discovering macro photography, doing a fair amount of street photography. Very rarely animals and where it's possible, architecture.

On my lens wishlist remains the 135mm 2L and probably also a Sigma 85mm 1.4. More forward in the future I would like to trade my old Canon Fisheye with the new one, get a TS-E 17mm, and if I feel I could need it, get the 70-200 2.8L II as well.

However, I make no money with my photography, so I have to think twice if I want to spend a bigger amount for a new camera. I was thinking a lot about getting the 5D Mark II used for 1500$, but I don't know if I would be satisfied with the camera. It's getting old and it's still expensive for my taste.

The 5D Mark III? Sure I could buy it, and I am sure I would love it, but 3300$ for a new camera? I don't know. For this I could get the two before mentioned wishlist lenses (~1600$) and as well trade the fisheye (~450$) and still have a spare 1300$ for, well, traveling ;-). The TS-E 17mm is only a option with a full frame camera. Although I would need higher ISO (a major thing I don't like about the 60D) for shooting f/4 with the 8-15mm Fisheye, as I prefer to shooting during the blue hour(s), and also at night. As well, what meaning has it to get a 8-15mm on a crop?

What did I forgot to mention? I like my gear light (but not all the time), sometimes just mounting one lens on the camera and use this combo all day/on a trip. If I feel like not carrying anything heavy with me, I take my Fuji X100 only.

Soo, If you read all above, you may think, WTF just go outside and shoot some pictures. That's what I am telling myself, and I know I thought a bit too much about my gear future, and anyway, my current path is to shoot the 60D to death and then I will have to get a new camera. 8)

But still, I am curious about your opinion! Am I in some dead end with my gear thoughts, and where is the way out? Or should I just get the 5DIII and enjoy my 5 prime lenses even more? What would you do? Thank you for your answer.

PS Some of you may think, this is a get a new camera or buy more lenses matter, but I would like to improve my photography on all levels, and currently I feel like my camera is the limiting factor (besides taking the time for photography at all).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:06:45 PM by criza »

canon rumors FORUM

How to proceed?
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: How to proceed?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
I'd say go for the 5d2. Pick one up new or lightly used and you'll love the quality. Sure, the AF system is pretty bad, but if you're shooting in decent lighting out on the street (or maybe even not so decent lighting) it'll still be pretty great. You have a nice set of lenses currently, and know what you want to get next. The 24mm will seem new to you, it's going to be a lot wider than you are used to, but it's great :)

If you're really concerned about cost, go for the 5Dc. I haven't owned one, but everything I've heard about it says it's still a great camera. What about renting one for a weekend when you plan on shooting a bunch of different stuff? It'll prolly cost you $100-200, but it'll really help you make up your mind. LensRentals.com has a 5d2 for ~$140 with shipping for 5 days rental.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

criza

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »
I'd say go for the 5d2. Pick one up new or lightly used and you'll love the quality. Sure, the AF system is pretty bad, but if you're shooting in decent lighting out on the street (or maybe even not so decent lighting) it'll still be pretty great. You have a nice set of lenses currently, and know what you want to get next. The 24mm will seem new to you, it's going to be a lot wider than you are used to, but it's great :)

If you're really concerned about cost, go for the 5Dc. I haven't owned one, but everything I've heard about it says it's still a great camera. What about renting one for a weekend when you plan on shooting a bunch of different stuff? It'll prolly cost you $100-200, but it'll really help you make up your mind. LensRentals.com has a 5d2 for ~$140 with shipping for 5 days rental.

That's what I forgot to mention! I ruled out the 5Dc, because I would miss Magic Lantern, it's very handy...

The thing about the 5DII is, if I go full frame, why not spend 2000$ more for the 5DIII? It would last a lot of years anyway...

One more thing is holding me back, the (for me) unfortunate timed rumors about an entry full frame, although I start to disbelieve them...

And yes, I can't wait to shoot the 24mm full frame!! Renting is as well a good idea, I could borrow a 5DIII from a friend, when he isn't using it, what's rare, but possible.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:26:13 PM by criza »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »

Given that you say you're doing a lot of street photography and night work, you may want to consider getting the 135L you mentioned. It's stunning, in my experience, on the streets at night. Screw that on, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what your 60D shows you.

Just a thought.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »

That's what I forgot to mention! I ruled out the 5Dc, because I would miss Magic Lantern, it's very handy...

The thing about the 5DII is, if I go full frame, why not spend 2000$ more for the 5DIII? It would last a lot of years anyway...

One more thing is holding me back, the (for me) unfortunate timed rumors about an entry full frame, although I start to disbelieve them...

And yes, I can't wait to shoot the 24mm full frame!! Renting is as well a good idea, I could borrow a 5DIII from a friend, when he isn't using it, what's rare, but possible.

Do you believe that the 5d2 might hold you back significantly? Owning both, I honestly can say that the AF system is the single biggest improvement, although there are lots of small tweaks that are nice, and I believe the ISO Noise is nicer and less than the 5d2. However, you would also be missing out on ML, at least for a while. That and it's also $2K, which you might be better served spending on a lens or two.

As for the 135L? Awesome lens, I love it. Probably the only lens I would love more is the 200L f/2, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon for me. You should get it no matter what.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

criza

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

Do you believe that the 5d2 might hold you back significantly? Owning both, I honestly can say that the AF system is the single biggest improvement, although there are lots of small tweaks that are nice, and I believe the ISO Noise is nicer and less than the 5d2. However, you would also be missing out on ML, at least for a while. That and it's also $2K, which you might be better served spending on a lens or two.

As for the 135L? Awesome lens, I love it. Probably the only lens I would love more is the 200L f/2, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon for me. You should get it no matter what.

You may be right about the not to big difference of them two cameras, especially for a full frame novice, who's job doesn't depend on critical moments which are not to be missed.

As for the 135L, no question it's an awesome lens, everyone praises it! I had the opportunity to try it two times and I like it so far, only that the focal length is very similar to my 100L, so the 135L still can wait for me some bit more. I may even trade the 100L for the 135L, have thought about that as well  ::).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:03:19 PM by criza »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
Well, the 100mm you have is a Macro lens which the 135L is not. So if you want to continue doing your macro shooting, keep the 100mm Macro lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »
FF is the way to go.....THE END

My suggestion is 5D III. Why? 5D III has great 61points AF, excellent under low light and speed.

The pic below was taken at Discovery Science Center - California with 5D III + 16-35L II. The lighting was extremely low, similar to Small World at Disneyland. Pic came out ok.

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
That and with the 5D Mark III you can do full auto ISO in manual mode.  This actually is a great benefit to novice photographers.  Later, you can do in-camera HDR and Multi-Exposure.  That and the advanced AF system this is worth the additional cost already.

However, regarding IQ, the 5D Mark II is great, so maybe that and expensive L lens would really be the way to go.  I don't know.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
That and with the 5D Mark III you can do full auto ISO in manual mode.  This actually is a great benefit to novice photographers.  Later, you can do in-camera HDR and Multi-Exposure.  That and the advanced AF system this is worth the additional cost already.

However, regarding IQ, the 5D Mark II is great, so maybe that and expensive L lens would really be the way to go.  I don't know.

+1...in M mode, I like to set shutter speed + aperture. I let the camera chooses the best ISO for my setting. As long the ISO is below 6400 on my 5D III, I know I'm in good shape.   ;D

param

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
5D2 or 5D3? 5D3 certainly.
Will the 5D3 deliver better "picture quality" than the 60D? For the most part yes.
Will buying all this gear help put an end to obsessive day dreaming? No.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »
I went this same route when the 5d mkiii launched. I bought it and the 50mm 1.4. It's so much better but you have to take the time to work with it. A few weeks and it feels brand new for the first few shots. Great has certainly improved my images. Still the 60d is a great camera. I would definetly not by the 5d ii just because it's cheap because the af is bad. Not worth it. Just my 2centz.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »
Actually, I agree with at least some if not all of what is posted.

Hopefully I can add some insight. 

I remember waiting and waiting for the 5D3 which never seemed to come.    I purchased a 5D2 which has great quality, but really poor AF in general.  I found that the 5D2 was not at all good at tracking moving objects like wildlife, and in dim/dark light, obtaining focus lock could be dicey.  The center focus point did the best in these situations.

I picked up the 5D3 and agree that the AF is way better and addresses my concerns listed above, so I am very happy.  There are many different AI Servo modes etc. so I agree, must really work with it.

I also love the fact that mfa allows adjustment at both ends of focal range, way cool.

With my 50D I avoided like poison, going above ISO 400, way better with 2 & 3.

In the end, it would be a good idea to rent both and spend a weekend with them- side by side with same lenses would be best.  Put them through their paces in all situations you expect to encounter.

If you are not in a rush, may be a good idea to see how the rumors for the new camera pan out.

Whatever you choose, you will see a great improvement in iq.  Think of the camera as a long term investment so you will amortize it over many years.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »

Jotho

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »
Criza, I have just gone down the same route, upgrading from 60D. I went 5D MkIII and I am very happy with it. I am not a pro, but do sell some stuff with articles I write for fun. A photographer friend of mine recommended me to buy more glass instead of getting the new body. I am actually happy I ignored his advise. I am a bit short on lenses at the moment but I do have a couple of L's, I've just had to postpone getting more a while because of the investment in the body. The MkIII have really opened my eyes, taking good pictures is easier and even more fun than with (the great) 60D. If you can afford it now, get the 5DMkII. You won't regret it.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:18:18 AM »
5D2 or 5D3? 5D3 certainly.
Will the 5D3 deliver better "picture quality" than the 60D? For the most part yes.Will buying all this gear help put an end to obsessive day dreaming? No.

My 2cents.... NOT most part. 5D III is better than 60D in everything, from chassis, IQ, AF, speed etc. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:18:18 AM »