October 25, 2014, 10:49:52 AM

Author Topic: 40mm Pancake Killed the 50mm??  (Read 19031 times)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: 40mm Pancake Killed the 50mm??
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
OK, the 50mm is faster but I reckon the IQ from the 40mm is better. Plus, there's something about the 40mm that just 'works' for me.

If you find 40mm works for you and appreciate 50mm's 1.4 aperture, there is one lens suits you the best:
The 35L

I've been in your position but 40mm wasn't really availably. I had 50 1.4 and 35 f2, I love both of them, the speed and image quality of 50 and the angle of 35, so after some mental struggle I sold the 35 f2 and got a 35L, that's the best decision regards to lens I've ever made.
That 35mm L is an epic lens, from what I've seen or heard.  It's just a shame it's ten times the price of the 40mm...

Not 10 times the price, only 7 :P
In New Zealand, where I'm from (and I assume BozillaNZ is also from), the 35mm lens is 9.2x the price of the 40mm. $2585 vs $280.  :(

Well, at least those are not euros :)
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
OK, the 50mm is faster but I reckon the IQ from the 40mm is better. Plus, there's something about the 40mm that just 'works' for me.

If you find 40mm works for you and appreciate 50mm's 1.4 aperture, there is one lens suits you the best:
The 35L

I've been in your position but 40mm wasn't really availably. I had 50 1.4 and 35 f2, I love both of them, the speed and image quality of 50 and the angle of 35, so after some mental struggle I sold the 35 f2 and got a 35L, that's the best decision regards to lens I've ever made.
That 35mm L is an epic lens, from what I've seen or heard.  It's just a shame it's ten times the price of the 40mm...

Not 10 times the price, only 7 :P
In New Zealand, where I'm from (and I assume BozillaNZ is also from), the 35mm lens is 9.2x the price of the 40mm. $2585 vs $280.  :(

what!? thats retarded

give these guys a call I am sure they would probably ship accross the pond
http://www.leedervillecameras.com.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=2946434&A=SearchResult&SearchID=4967087&ObjectID=2946434&ObjectType=27

their 40mm is $199 too
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:17 AM »
There was a time when I was looking for a nice 50 prime for my 7D, but I didn't buy the Canon 50/1.4 because I knew that it is too soft at 1.4 so wouldn't use it wide open anyway. I bought the Sigma 50/1.4 instead, it was very nice, pretty sharp at 1.4 even on a crop body. However, to make a fast prime really shine, you need a FF camera. Some say that Canon 50/1.4 is pretty decent wide open on a FF camera.

Reasons why I bought my 40mm:
[nice optics and compact design]
[smooth and silent focus ring]
[good price and it fits FF]
[I use a flash for low light, not a wide aperture lens]
[FF DoF seems to be much thinner than APS-C, so f/2.8 is fine]
[when I want a shallow DoF I reach for something like 85/1.8 anyway...]
[it's a nice high-tech EOS body cap :), now I can take my camera everywhere (in a small case) and not look like a tourist :)]

Hmmm, it's funny seeing a lot of people mentioning that 'if I want shallow DoF I go for the longer lens'

That's partly true. For a long lens to work it's magic your background has to be very far away. For confined space where camera/subject/background are not in big distance, a long lens won't achieve any more background blur than a wide angle / wide aperture lens.

And, background blur is not exactly same as shallow DoF, you can have deep DoF while having more background blur by manipulating subject/background distance, aperture and focal length. but you might already knew that.

So the point is, aperture and focal lens are different things, you can't substitute one for the other, and wide angle fast lens is wide angle fast lens and will not be replaced by anything else.

+1

This is why there is a 50macro, 100 macro and a 180 macro. They take different perspectives of the same objects

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 05:22:07 AM »
There was a time when I was looking for a nice 50 prime for my 7D, but I didn't buy the Canon 50/1.4 because I knew that it is too soft at 1.4 so wouldn't use it wide open anyway. I bought the Sigma 50/1.4 instead, it was very nice, pretty sharp at 1.4 even on a crop body. However, to make a fast prime really shine, you need a FF camera. Some say that Canon 50/1.4 is pretty decent wide open on a FF camera.

Reasons why I bought my 40mm:
[nice optics and compact design]
[smooth and silent focus ring]
[good price and it fits FF]
[I use a flash for low light, not a wide aperture lens]
[FF DoF seems to be much thinner than APS-C, so f/2.8 is fine]
[when I want a shallow DoF I reach for something like 85/1.8 anyway...]
[it's a nice high-tech EOS body cap :), now I can take my camera everywhere (in a small case) and not look like a tourist :)]

Hmmm, it's funny seeing a lot of people mentioning that 'if I want shallow DoF I go for the longer lens'

That's partly true. For a long lens to work it's magic your background has to be very far away. For confined space where camera/subject/background are not in big distance, a long lens won't achieve any more background blur than a wide angle / wide aperture lens.

And, background blur is not exactly same as shallow DoF, you can have deep DoF while having more background blur by manipulating subject/background distance, aperture and focal length. but you might already knew that.

So the point is, aperture and focal lens are different things, you can't substitute one for the other, and wide angle fast lens is wide angle fast lens and will not be replaced by anything else.

I understand the perspective thing and that's just my opinion. I like 85/1.8 better and it is not that long on FF. I never felt the need for having all of the fast primes in my collection (24, 35, 50, 85, 135, 200). What I want is 35 + 85 and 40 for the reasons I've mentioned before. However, I would get all the L primes if I could afford it ... even if I'd rarely use half of those. Before 40 came out, I was considering CZ 50/2 Macro for "do it all" lens, but my 150Macro is just too good to lose this double duty lens competition + it has AF. So, for now, I'm just trying different options, but it seems like 40 is here to stay :).

P.S. I really like that 40 has a hard-stop on infinity.
FF + primes !

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »
+1

This is why there is a 50macro, 100 macro and a 180 macro. They take different perspectives of the same objects

There is more - 35macro, 60macro, 70macro, 90macro ... 150macro was my choice and I'm still saving for MP-E 65 :).
I think that at 1:1 or higher magnifications the perspective is not that important (if at all). What matters is the lens working distance.
FF + primes !

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 07:07:55 AM »
what!? thats retarded

give these guys a call I am sure they would probably ship accross the pond
http://www.leedervillecameras.com.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=2946434&A=SearchResult&SearchID=4967087&ObjectID=2946434&ObjectType=27

their 40mm is $199 too
Haha, I don't know if you've done a currency conversion recently, but it looks like prices in Oz are almost as bad as NZ.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

briansquibb

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »
+1

There is more - 35macro, 60macro, 70macro, 90macro ... 150macro was my choice and I'm still saving for MP-E 65 :).
I think that at 1:1 or higher magnifications the perspective is not that important (if at all). What matters is the lens working distance.

DOF is though - and the focal length impacts that when getting the 1:1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »