October 22, 2014, 09:42:04 PM

Author Topic: Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]  (Read 50914 times)

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
Re: Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »
I know it's only rumoured specs but those don't get me excited at all

5DII is still the better option even with it's ancient AF system
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
Is that $1,999 for the camera AND the kit lens? Or just the body? :-P

Cause if it's for the camera AND the kit lens....I am soooooo buying one. $1,499 would be sweet for a entry level full frame.
Unless the kit lens is a 18-55 maybe? and the camera costs 1900 body only?   ;D

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
Buying a 5D mkii now is the best deal for a 35mm digital camera. I don't care if/ when it's "technology" is 10+ years old, it is still going to allow me to take fantastic photos!

I for one will be using my 7D & 5Dii till they die. All my other money will just go to glass and in my pocket :)

Agreed.  The 5D MK2 is a FANTASTIC camera and is more than enough for 98% of photographers out there who don't shoot sports.  I've been talking to more and more high-end fashion/commercial photographers and what do they use?  5D MK2 or Medium Format. 

This entry-level camera makes sense to me.  More AF points, more plastic, 22MP.  It has more technology than the 5D MK2, but not the build quality.

+1 to both,

I've used both 5DII and 5DIII in the studio and within a studio environment I can find literally NO difference in the cameras, the upgraded AF system is useless since I shoot manual focus 99% of the time and the 5DII AF , however ancient, is still perfectly adequate. This is why I have not upgraded to 5DIII - it's almost a pointless upgrade for studio shooters - definitely pointless given the price AND the fact that the 5DII gives identical results. Currently, if I were to upgrade, the only way to go is medium format but still the 5DII is going to be a workhorse for a few more years I think - It's a bloody fantastic camera.
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
It does sound like a repackaged 5d2. The probability of inheriting 7D's AF sounds promising and the package might come awfully close to mark3 for 1.5k less; perhaps some features chopping is due.

on another note, i seriously wonder about Canon's product planners abilities. 5years ago they were alone in the game and now they're being dragged around. Suddenly Canon who was in the frontier of FF finds itself stalling with cameras between 18 & 22mp and the competition ( that 5 yrs ago didnt even had FF) has models spanning from 12 to 36mp
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:17:55 AM by meli »

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »
Well, being a 60D owner who can't justify $3000+ on a camera for chasing sunsets, I really like the specs!
- Plastic doesn't bother me (my 60D has plenty of it and it has never kept me from doing anything), although I have to acknowledge a metal body feels great in the hand.
- Smaller size is also good, I guess, because as a FF camera, it can't be made too small for men's hands and will be lighter than a 5DmII/III.
- The sensor should be more than good enough, even if Nikon's got a better one and has won the round.
- 19 AF points, like the 7D? Well, everybody likes it on the 7D, and if I've managed to live with only 9 so far.
- 4 fps, well, not that great, but I can't see myself needing to go any faster.
- ISO 100-51,200: now that would be some improvement for me!
- Having a built-in flash that can act as a commander seals the deal for me.
- $2000? Well, I can wait a little... BUT, sure it shouldn't cost more than the Nikon "equivalent".
The 5DmII is sure a great camera, but the built-in flash and the better AF are important to me as I can buy one less flash and have more keepers of my soon-to-come kid.
Is the D600 better? Oh, I'll have all my needs taken care of with the 6D or whatever they call it. I don't care if my neighbors will have a better toy; mine will be great for me already.

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
That's good news in MY OPINION so far:
- FF might be a future standard option for DSLRs and this might lead to a compact FF mirrorless
- 16 (red illuminated) AF points might be sufficient for 99.9% of situations
- 4 FPS are enough for landscape, macro etc.
- 1999$/EUR are reasonable if it goes down to 1499$/EUR after 6 months
- if it's compatible with STM focus drives it might have an AF mode for video and live view

And I don't like to read the lamentations about "D600 is better than the new Canon FF" - both do not exist in our hands and we cannot compare them really. And ... I have spent a lot of money in some glass for the Canon EF mount - switching to Nikon is not a matter of saving (hypothetically) 500$/EUR, its to buy a lot of Nikkors ... oh, impossible, I cannot replace all the glass I need because Nikon has not these options ...
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
A FF camera with a 7D like (or better) AF is certainly attractive to me.   The plastic body is definitely a turn off and could be a deal breaker for me.   I'm OK with the 5DII sensor if that is what Canon has to do to keep the price down.   Keep the form factor no smaller than the 7D, lose the pop up flash (unless it has radio trigger) and no swivel screen and you've got my attention.   

This could be an excellent combo with my 7D.

I want a 5D3 but don't know when or if I can afford/justify the cost.

Oh and it must have AFMA

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
A FF camera with a 7D like (or better) AF is certainly attractive to me.   The plastic body is definitely a turn off and could be a deal breaker for me.   I'm OK with the 5DII sensor if that is what Canon has to do to keep the price down.   Keep the form factor no smaller than the 7D, lose the pop up flash (unless it has radio trigger) and no swivel screen and you've got my attention.   

This could be an excellent combo with my 7D.

I want a 5D3 but don't know when or if I can afford/justify the cost.

Oh and it must have AFMA
+1.
So practically you need a 5DMkII with updated AF (like the one that exists on 7D). Sounds good to me. As a 5DmkII owner I could not agree more.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
I find that a lot of users do not understand the upgrades over the 5D Mark II:

Autofocus system:  beat to death

More important:

Auto ISO over the full range in manual mode,
In-camera HDR and in-camera ME, 9 shots max each
ISO safety shift in Av mode with a min shutter speed and auto ISO over full range

That is why it is $1400 over the 5D Mark II.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

CanonCameraFan

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »
Well I like the sound of it  :) Smaller and lighter than the 5D mark ii (for those of us who find a camera sporting a medium telephoto zoom L lens HEAVY)  :) 19 auto focus points  :) 51200 ISO  :) Pop up flash  :) auto focus in movie mode??? If it takes STM lenses that is a possibility  ??? And could the sensor be a bigger version of the one in the 650D? It's mostly speculation at the moment anyway and what suits one won't suit another - guaranteed.  ::)

Orion

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
I can't believe how this is actually being taken as a serious option FOR ANYBODY. Over $2000 with taxes . . if you are a serious photographer, then get a mkIII and mean it. The laod of crap they saturate tyhe market witrh these days is amazing . . . thanks to the sheep out there. And thank god for plastic, and $2000 FF cameras too . . . profit grab, nothing else. So, I guess the 5DmkII will be around $1000 now.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
And I don't like to read the lamentations about "D600 is better than the new Canon FF" - both do not exist in our hands and we cannot compare them really. And ... I have spent a lot of money in some glass for the Canon EF mount - switching to Nikon is not a matter of saving (hypothetically) 500$/EUR, its to buy a lot of Nikkors ... oh, impossible, I cannot replace all the glass I need because Nikon has not these options ...

I agree, too much spec racing going on and we dont have confirmation yet, the D600 could end up being the same price for all we know.  And the D800 feels so cheap I'd be scared to see what a $1500 D600 felt like, probably all plastic and flimsy as crap.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

bkorcel

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
2000.00 for an "entry level".  In my opinion this one is quite boring.  Come on Canon you can do better for $2K.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
I find that a lot of users do not understand the upgrades over the 5D Mark II:

More important:

ISO safety shift in Av mode with a min shutter speed and auto ISO over full range

That is why it is $1400 over the 5D Mark II.

And that is why I really want a 5D3.   But cost and justification is my issue.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
I agree that would be very useful indeed...

All these could be done in firmware. It is Ridiculous that Canon charges so much...

This may seem nice but it's a gimmick. Plus I read that it produces jpeg file. Please correct me if I am wrong (I do write this from memory).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »