August 27, 2014, 11:06:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]  (Read 48699 times)

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
To all complaining about no new sensor... do you really expect canon to put a BETTER sensor and an IMPROVED sensor in a camera BELOW it's beloved 5d3?  Really?
Well, Canon still don't have a sensor that can compete with Nikon's D800 sensor. Their beloved 5D3 (a.k.a 5D2.5) certainly failed at that.

So yeah, they should make and launch a better sensor as soon as posible.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »

for me this is like back then when microsoft released VISTA.. just wait for win7.   :D
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
Control over wireless flashes would be a welcome feature but I doubt there will be such feature in it.

Even Rebels have that.

I think many of its possible future users would be glad for that feature  :) I would, from certain point of view. It was just my opinion...

As my main wireless flash triggers Im using Pixel Kings - radio is radio.

...if they would include their RT system as build-in - THAT I would call a welcome feature  ;)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

kdw75

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
I like all the rumored specs, but it needs to be at least the size and build quality of the 7D. Then it would be worth about $1899.

The way it is rumored to be the price needs to be down around $1299.

When you are paying that much a magnesium body that is somewhat weather sealed is expected.
EOS 7D & 6D  |  24-70 f2.8 L  |  60mm f2.8 Macro  |  430ex II  |  EF-S 15-85 IS USM |  70-300 f/4-5.6L IS

Stewbyyy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Comerford Photography
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »
This is exactly what I've been hoping for pretty much. I saw people saying that Canon would probably make this a Rebel body which would completely put me off buying it.

I wouldn't have a problem if the body was similar to my 60D (but without the stupid articulating screen). I've wanted to make the jump to full frame for about 6 months now but as a gig photographer I just don't think the 5D II would be that great for me, I couldn't live with the centre AF point only. This camera would be near perfect.

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:56 PM »
Sounds like...

a 5D mkII!

(except for the "smaller than 5D mkII bit :-)

takoman46

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
The rumored specs have me a bit confused...

For $2000 you get:

22mp 5D3 sensor?

19 point AF - Ok, this sounds reasonable.

4fps - Makes sense.

ISO 100-51200 - Taking into consideration that this camera will have a 5D3 sensor; wouldn't this mean that ISO performance at ISO 51200 would be the same as 5D3? Canon just eliminated ISO 102400... but 102400 is unusable anyway... Logic tells me that this new entry level FF camera will not perform the same as a 5D3... but then that would mean that Canon just de-tuned the heck out of the 5D3 sensor and it's capabilities... Lose money lol

3"LCD - Ok

Smaller than 5D Mark II - If it's smaller, than does this mean that there is no quick reference display on the top of the body? Or does this simply mean that it may be "slightly" smaller than a 5D2? Maybe the size of a 60D? In which case, it being the size of a 60D is pretty irrelevant information since it's not that much smaller than a 5D2...

More plastic than metal in the construction - So this camera will be packed with what sounds like great performance features but will be built like a toy?

Pop-up flash - Ok

$1999 USD at launch - Ok

Launched with new non-L full frame kit lens - Whatever

Compatible with full frame STM lenses - Whatever

So in a nutshell, for $1500 less than a 5D Mark 3 you get the same sensor and ISO performance (up to ISO 51200), a crappier AF system, and 2fps less continuous shooting speed, but have to live with the thing being built like a toy... On that note, for $100-$200 less than a 5D Mark 2 you get a way better sensor, ISO performance, AF system, and 1fps more continuous shooting speed, but have to live with the thing being built like a toy because even the 5D Mark II was mostly metal in construction. Does anyone else think these specs don't seem realistic?

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
I like all the rumored specs, but it needs to be at least the size and build quality of the 7D. Then it would be worth about $1899.

The way it is rumored to be the price needs to be down around $1299.

When you are paying that much a magnesium body that is somewhat weather sealed is expected.

Forgive me if Im wrong but isnt 7D more weather-sealed as 5D Mk II ? Both of them have magnesium alloy chassis.

5D Mk II seals:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/seals.jpg

7D seals:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS7D/Images/sealing.jpg

If they make it same as 7D body it would be actualy close to 5D Mk III sealing.

Its just a rumor, price is rumored...as the rugedness/build and sealing is  ;)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:13 PM »
How does this make sense? Why would I want a $2000 plastic 5DII equivalent when I can have the real thing for the same money? And I don't believe there is any noticeable difference between the 5DII and 5DIII sensor. So what gives?
+1 It does not. I cannot understand why so many forum readers were waiting for something so similar and in many aspects inferior camera to 5DmkII. More plastic ? really? for the same price of 5DMkII? For a slightly better sensor? (possibly crippled by more powerful AA filter?) It is possibly a nice camera for non 5DmkII owners. But for 5DmkII onwners this rumored camera is a joke!

P.S I guess it will not have replaceable screens...
Haha, and a real focus system as opposed to the 5d1 & 5d2. Its already an upgrade for the same price. Sure its not a metal body. Metal bodies don't make my shots turn out better and in focus, focus systems do. Also a popup flash to trigger the RF flashes, and when doing pj and you actually need a little fill flash but don't have a full size flash, how can you go wrong? As far as weather sealing, just don't use this one in the rain, you don't need two bodies to shoot when the weather is bad. Why would the AA filter be stronger, they have minimized it? I own a 5dm3 and i don't think its a joke but we'll see what the specs are.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »
-  pop up flash--don't want unless its a radio trigger

Why is a pop-up flash a bad thing?

If they manage to fit in a large enough bright prism then not. But personally, I wont use it much. I would rather use my 430 EX II.

Control over wireless flashes would be a welcome feature but I doubt there will be such feature in it.

Dido

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
If I want to read about Nikon I go to Nikon Rumours. I dont come to Canon Rumours to listen to the Nikon Fanboys  tell me what a poor job Canon are doing.

This is totally wrong, as least my point of view.  As if I am a Nikon owner(s), I would want my employees go to Canon users' forums or find any resources and to search for Canon weakness to its customers.  Welcome to correct me as if I am wrong...

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
The rumored specs have me a bit confused...

For $2000 you get:

22mp 5D3 sensor?

19 point AF - Ok, this sounds reasonable.

4fps - Makes sense.

ISO 100-51200 - Taking into consideration that this camera will have a 5D3 sensor; wouldn't this mean that ISO performance at ISO 51200 would be the same as 5D3? Canon just eliminated ISO 102400... but 102400 is unusable anyway... Logic tells me that this new entry level FF camera will not perform the same as a 5D3... but then that would mean that Canon just de-tuned the heck out of the 5D3 sensor and it's capabilities... Lose money lol

3"LCD - Ok

Smaller than 5D Mark II - If it's smaller, than does this mean that there is no quick reference display on the top of the body? Or does this simply mean that it may be "slightly" smaller than a 5D2? Maybe the size of a 60D? In which case, it being the size of a 60D is pretty irrelevant information since it's not that much smaller than a 5D2...

More plastic than metal in the construction - So this camera will be packed with what sounds like great performance features but will be built like a toy?

until here it´s ok.. but then it´s nonsense.. try to break such a "toy" camera.
i have abused my cheap 550D in every way except droping/exposing it into water.

i can tell you it´s hard to break such a "toy".

my 5D MK2 sure feels better.. but i have NO reservation to abuse my 550D under hard conditions. i dropped it a few times. thank god with no lens attached.

if it does not drop onto the LCD (and that would kill a 5D MK3 display too) you can drop it from 3m above without a problem.

all that will happen is that maybe the pop up flash will come out and a few scratches.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:45:00 PM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

goodmane

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

for me this is like back then when microsoft released VISTA.. just wait for win7.   :D

For me this is like when lots of people bought macs instead of waiting for win 7. I don't care about canon and nikon anymore. I'd quite like to swap my 5dc for this camera if its cheap enough, especially if it has built in flash so I can take it out of the house without my studio lights, but what I really want is built in wifi for transferring images to my network. If my android phone can do it and fit in my pocket and hulking great dslr should be able to do it without an enormous attachment that costs an extra few hundred $.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
To all complaining about no new sensor... do you really expect canon to put a BETTER sensor and an IMPROVED sensor in a camera BELOW it's beloved 5d3?  Really?
Well, Canon still don't have a sensor that can compete with Nikon's D800 sensor. Their beloved 5D3 (a.k.a 5D2.5) certainly failed at that.

Depends on how you view things...  I shoot professionally, and while the D800 DR is great at low ISO, at ISO 800 and beyond is canon's territory and frankly, daytime shots, the only time I'd be able to really take advantage of low iso DR, most of it would be washed away when I increase contrast as D800 shots tend to be muddy...  I'm not taking anything away from what Nikon has produced, it's a very good and very impressive camera, but in no way is the 5d3 inferior or a bad sensor...  I'm sure there are those product and or landscape photogs chomping at the bit for a much improved sensor, but in the end, either camera will satisfy 95% of all photogs...  If you feel canon failed, that's your opinion... But it is, as a camera, an awesome tool. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »

until here it´s ok.. but then it´s nonsense.. try to break such a "toy" camera.
i have abused my cheap 550D in every way except droping/exposing it into water.

i can tell you it´s hard to break such a "toy".

my 5D MK2 sure feels better.. but i have NO reservation to abuse my 550D under hard conditions. i dropped it a few times. thank god with no lens attached.

if it does not drop onto the LCD (and thet woudl kill a 5D MK3 display too) you can drop it from 3m hight without a problem.

all that will happen is that maybe the pop up flash will come out.

+1.  I have an Xti and a 40D, and although obviously not as sturdy as my 7D, I certainly never felt like they were toys.  And feelings aside, they keep trucking right along even though I'm fairly abusive of my gear.