September 15, 2014, 05:36:24 AM

Poll

Would you buy a new full frame camera for $1999 with the 5D Mark III sensor?

Yes, At $1999, the price is right, regardless of the sensor and I'll buy one
59 (63.4%)
No, I want a better sensor in such any full frame camera that I buy.
34 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Would you buy a new full frame camera for $1999 with the 5D Mark III sensor?  (Read 11991 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If this turns out to be 1999$ for body only, I may replace my 7D for this only If it keeps the majority of the working features of the 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
What kind of sensor do we want in the 5DIII, the 1DX's?  If so buy the 1DX.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Maybe someone does not want the weight, size and 12-14 fps of 1DX but wants a normal size FF camera with the best sensor Canon has to offer.

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
If you don't think there is a noticable difference between the 5DII and 5DIII sensor then maybe you could tell me if you notice a difference between these photos:

That's a back to back comparison with the 5D3 resized to 5D2 size. The 5D3 sensor has a significantly better AA filter and so produces sharper images.

I firmly believe that DPReview screwed those test shots up.  If you compare the 5DII to any camera on that DPR test, even Rebels, it is a lot less sharp.  I think they mis-focused the shots with the 5DII because my 5DII delivers tack sharp images.  Don't the me wrong, I'm not saying the 5DIII is not better, I don't own one, but the 5DII samples on DPR are not a fair comparison.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
If you don't think there is a noticable difference between the 5DII and 5DIII sensor then maybe you could tell me if you notice a difference between these photos:

That's a back to back comparison with the 5D3 resized to 5D2 size. The 5D3 sensor has a significantly better AA filter and so produces sharper images.

I firmly believe that DPReview screwed those test shots up.  If you compare the 5DII to any camera on that DPR test, even Rebels, it is a lot less sharp.  I think they mis-focused the shots with the 5DII because my 5DII delivers tack sharp images.  Don't the me wrong, I'm not saying the 5DIII is not better, I don't own one, but the 5DII samples on DPR are not a fair comparison.

sharpness looks same to me for 5D2 and 5D3 (in RAW although bright, high contrast stuff in jpgs at low iso with right settings can be sharper on 5D3 in cam):

7D top then 5D2 then 5D3 then 7D again on bottom:
click to see full size

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Maybe someone does not want the weight, size and 12-14 fps of 1DX but wants a normal size FF camera with the best sensor Canon has to offer.

Maybe so but there's so much griping about the 5DIII.  There are many different combinations to be had, you can't please everyone.  My point was that how much more does a person expect from a $3500 camera compared to a $7000 one?
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile

Maybe so but there's so much griping about the 5DIII.  There are many different combinations to be had, you can't please everyone.  My point was that how much more does a person expect from a $3500 camera compared to a $7000 one?
Maybe the question can be rephrased:
How much more should we expect from the $3500 5DIII compared to the $2000-2200 5DII?

I believe a lot more (5DII had the best sensor available by the time it was introduced)

canon rumors FORUM

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

How much more should we expect from the $3500 5DIII compared to the $2000-2200 5DII?

I believe a lot more (5DII had the best sensor available by the time it was introduced)

That's the thing though, people are expecting alot more.  Is it because they are comparing it to the 1DX?  Some are also saying that it's priced too high, like $500 too high.  Compared to what though, the D800?  There's no doubt the 800 has a great sensor and DR to go with it, but IMO that's not enough.  I would sooner have the great AF, high ISO and 22MP than just a good sensor.  So for me I find the extra 500 bucks worth it.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
BTW why are we comparing prices of a just released 5DIII with a 4 year old MKII?  $3500 for the MKIII and $2800 for the MKII, so you don't feel what the MKIII offers now over the MKII isn't worth $700?

bdunbar79

• View Profile

It has a lot more.  Have you ever used one as main camera and 5D II as backup?  It has a lot more.  The sensor is irrelevant.  The processor is better, the features are more useful and numerous.  Go shoot sports for a job and not have access to auto ISO in manual mode.  It can be done, but you'll get better, more consistent exposures if you can run ISO in auto mode while controlling DOF and shutter speed.  Only the 1D4 and 1DX can you also do EC on top of that.  There is little comparison between the two cameras unless you are doing portrait and landscape only.  Even then, you cannot do HDR and ME in-camera, which is actually very useful for night photography. 

The downfall here of course is that you cannot do spot-metering with active AF point during sports.  But the 5D II can't do any of the things I listed.  They're not equal.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
BTW why are we comparing prices of a just released 5DIII with a 4 year old MKII?  $3500 for the MKIII and $2800 for the MKII, so you don't feel what the MKIII offers now over the MKII isn't worth $700?

You would be right if the MKIII had the best sensor available (just like 5DMKII when introduced)
In addition the price of 5DMKIII will have to follow the same falling pattern if we are to compare them...

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

You would be right if the MKIII had the best sensor available (just like 5DMKII when introduced)
In addition the price of 5DMKIII will have to follow the same falling pattern if we are to compare them...

This just isn't about sensors though, it's about everything that's new and updated.

briansquibb

Except of course the 1DS3 sensor was well ahead of the 5DII - so perhaps the 1DX will be better than the 5DIII

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
The 5D MK III sensor is only a tiny amount larger than the 5D MK II, so the additional resolution is not going to be significant.
The improvements are the faster readout, better on chip NR, and the improved high ISO.  We don't know what features might be removed in a low cost camera with this sensor, but if it has the same image and High ISO performance, and accurate autofocus, I'd be happy to upgrade my 5D MK III.
If it did not have the lcd in the viewfinder, that would be a improvement.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile

Except of course the 1DS3 sensor was well ahead of the 5DII - so perhaps the 1DX will be better than the 5DIII
Better in low iso but worse in high iso but I get your point.

canon rumors FORUM