September 02, 2014, 01:19:45 AM

Author Topic: 2023: a look into Canon's flagship body  (Read 5009 times)

cszy67

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
2023: a look into Canon's flagship body
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »
I am interested in hearing your ideas regarding the top of the line Canon body a decade from now. We have all been enjoying incremental changes since the flip from film to sensor and I am just wondering if there will be another leap forward in the next decade or not.

Just what will the capabilities be in a decade?

What would we like to see?

How about internet connectivity and it's unlimited storage capacity or ability to communicate?

Or maybe a thought controlled head mounted camera that becomes our eyes and allows us to view the world in a ultra wide angle or telephoto sort of way and capture images just because we though that would look nice. Or it's ability to capture everything we see and store on the net forever!

What role will an artificial neural network play in the future of photography? Will the camera learn your habits and make decisions for you while at the same time communicating with other cameras world wide and sharing these "new" methods collectively increasing the ability for all photographers?

Can you image having the knowledge of every great photographer as a literal extension of your own mind and being able to use that without any effort?

What are your thoughts?
7D ~ 16-35mm f/2.8L II ~ 24-70mm f/2.8L ~ 70-200mm f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

2023: a look into Canon's flagship body
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

Videoshooter

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: 2023: a look into Canon's flagship body
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Well, obviously there will be the same imcremental upgrades we've seen over the past 2 decades: more resolution, better DR, better high ISO performance, etc.

I'd like to see a camera that shoots 24fps RAW (probably in LV with an electronic shutter) cropped from the centre of the sensor at 2.4:1 aspect ratio (full width of the sensor but only part of the height) - A true cinema hybrid.

I can also imagine wireless becoming a part of the workflow - to sync cameras, flashes, etc, remote control them, and transfer images.

We might also see a high end mirrorless too - I don't think it will be the dominant tecnology by then but perhaps it will be moving more into professional DSLR territory. With the current amalgamation of the 1d and 1ds lines in the 1dx, I could even imagine a split further down the line into 1Dx and 1Dm (mirrorless) series.
5dmkII, 60D, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm.

Erik S. Klein

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
IMO Light Field cameras will likely be ready for prime time between now and then.

Current versions are low-rez toys much like the earliest digital cameras were.  In ten years I can see them being at least as capable as today's top DSLRs and the ability to refocus at will should make them the choice for pros and amateurs alike.

And while glass won't change too much, I think the rest of the electronics around these will.  Speed, storage, internal processing and more should improve dramatically...

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »
I am interested in hearing your ideas regarding the top of the line Canon body a decade from now. We have all been enjoying incremental changes since the flip from film to sensor and I am just wondering if there will be another leap forward in the next decade or not.

Just what will the capabilities be in a decade?

What would we like to see?

How about internet connectivity and it's unlimited storage capacity or ability to communicate?

Or maybe a thought controlled head mounted camera that becomes our eyes and allows us to view the world in a ultra wide angle or telephoto sort of way and capture images just because we though that would look nice. Or it's ability to capture everything we see and store on the net forever!

What role will an artificial neural network play in the future of photography? Will the camera learn your habits and make decisions for you while at the same time communicating with other cameras world wide and sharing these "new" methods collectively increasing the ability for all photographers?

Can you image having the knowledge of every great photographer as a literal extension of your own mind and being able to use that without any effort?

What are your thoughts?

We are Borg... photographers.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

DB

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »
The 2023 FF camera body will have the same 22MP sensor as the 5D3, but it will be announced in 2019 as 'pre-order' for delivery in late-2022. The APS-C flagship will have the same 18MP sensor as the T2i/T3i/T4iT5i/T6i/T7i and T8i as well as that in the 7D, 7D2, 7D3 and 7D4.

Oh yeah... as well as a touch screen 'retina' display, it may have a touch sensitive mode dial, plus true to Canon Inc. pricing policy of late, camera bodies (w/o kit lenses) will start from $19,999 or $24,999 with standard L zoom.

Finally, Canon will be re-branded 'YongMeike' and their HQ will be located in Shenzhen, China!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »
The 2023 FF camera body will have the same 22MP sensor as the 5D3, but it will be announced in 2019 as 'pre-order' for delivery in late-2022. The APS-C flagship will have the same 18MP sensor as the T2i/T3i/T4iT5i/T6i/T7i and T8i as well as that in the 7D, 7D2, 7D3 and 7D4.

Oh yeah... as well as a touch screen 'retina' display, it may have a touch sensitive mode dial, plus true to Canon Inc. pricing policy of late, camera bodies (w/o kit lenses) will start from $19,999 or $24,999 with standard L zoom.

Finally, Canon will be re-branded 'YongMeike' and their HQ will be located in Shenzhen, China!
LOL
and nikonokia will be anouncing their 666MP FF D666 which will cost $1000 and have a 66 pt AF all double cross type with f8 AF
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
They'll continue with the current weight gain program and we'll have a Mega-Function SuperSize FF 1-Series in 2023.

Inspired by Samsungs "bigger is better" credo, plus non planet friendly influence from the car industry which makes each new model bigger, longer, wider... the 2023 1D-XXXX (for extra-large) will double as a portable gym, have a flip out keyboard, an optional refrigeration module, mega widescreen holo display and compact wings and thrusters for simpler aerial photography.

Power will be handled by a revolutionary ultra-compact nuclear fusion reactor. All 1-Series will ship with a wheelbarrow signed by the Minister of the Arts. And I did read in Canon Rumors (CR-8) that the Canon engineers will probably work out a way of integrating a camera module. Truly revolutionary stuff.

PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
One thing for sure, Some people will find it not enough to meet there standards and talk about switching to nikon. :o

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
I would have to say that I think it would be pretty cool if Canon invented (regardless of MP) a multi layer translucent cmos that could take a photo in which there was an DOF with no limits. In other words the entire image would be in focus, no background blur. Think of it as instant highly expandable micro adjustment in a way. You would then process the image in Photoshop to produce what-ever DOF you wanted and where-ever you wanted. (I.E. f2.8, 8.0, 13.0...whatever) Auto focus would be extremely acurate and IS would be able to adjust much faster to camera shake.

I would also like to see an interface where the camera would change settings based on your thoughts. (I believe that this techology is already being developed and should have applications 10 years from now)

Just my 2 cents.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

chito

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
I remember a talk by the inventor of CMOS saying something about a sensor that can count individual photons..

I just hope that the next leap forward will eliminate "bayer" type sensors and the need for AA filters

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
why are the mods censoring like mad today?

there where two fun replys here.. they made as much sense as a discussion about a future 2023 camera.

most of you could not say what the weather is looking at the sky .. so this is a SILLY thread or not?

the flagship camera will be expensive... and it will have no mirror i guess.
that´s all i wager to predict.

Because the mods on this site are pompous self-important idiots that have no sense of humor. (Not Craig, the owner, just the moderators)

We have the unpleasant task of trying to keep things under control, and posts like this are not helpful.  It gives the impression that you want to run the forum.

We've held back on Bans recently and issued warnings, several people have been flaming each other today and received warnings.  If it keeps on, those will become bans.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »
I remember a talk by the inventor of CMOS saying something about a sensor that can count individual photons..

I just hope that the next leap forward will eliminate "bayer" type sensors and the need for AA filters

+10. I agree.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
Of course it's a joke thread but how about some serious ideas...

1. The viewfinder will stay but it's likely to be electronic, it will out-resolve the eye and and its sensor will get light through a pellicle.

2. There will be an electronic shutter using something like a Pockel's cell.

3. The sensor will be a flip chip which will improve sensitivity by about two stops.. so 102k ISO will be usable.

4. The dynamic range will be slightly better but unless Bayer masks are abandoned it'll probably not be more than 1 stop. If they are abandoned - say for a true 3- or 4-channel system - you can add another 2 stops immediately... this interacts with point 3 so that 102k would have the noise of about current 6400 ISO.

5. Resolution will be matched to lens performance... so perhaps about 8 microns resolution in the image (equivalent to 54 mp today.)

6. Pixels will not be square... I'm thinking hexagons or maybe the interlaced octagon / square arrangement that Fuji had years ago.

7. Battery life will be 30% better.

8. Lenses will focus in an blink of the eye and autofocus will still get it wrong.

9. f/1.2 lenses might actually offer some benefit.

10. I will still ditch 99% of my images.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »

cszy67

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »
I do appreciate the responses so far - some pretty interesting ideas.

And sorry if I am disappointing anyone but this thread is no joke. My most recent work was at NASA Langley where I worked with the man who developed the Retinex Image Processing system.

http://dragon.larc.nasa.gov/

I am just curious as to what other people see as future products.
7D ~ 16-35mm f/2.8L II ~ 24-70mm f/2.8L ~ 70-200mm f/2.8L

Jotho

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:10 AM »
why are the mods censoring like mad today?

there where two fun replys here.. they made as much sense as a discussion about a future 2023 camera.

most of you could not say what the weather is looking at the sky .. so this is a SILLY thread or not?

the flagship camera will be expensive... and it will have no mirror i guess.
that´s all i wager to predict.

Because the mods on this site are pompous self-important idiots that have no sense of humor. (Not Craig, the owner, just the moderators)

We have the unpleasant task of trying to keep things under control, and posts like this are not helpful.  It gives the impression that you want to run the forum.

We've held back on Bans recently and issued warnings, several people have been flaming each other today and received warnings.  If it keeps on, those will become bans.

I hope you will be able to keep this place clean. I take great pleasure checking out this forum more or less every day and I constantly learn. I like the tone in general here, I can post questions that might seem stupid to some of the accomplished pros here, but I tend to get very insightful answers that leads me further. Also posting pics that are obviously not up to pro standard will generate polite and valuable critique on how I need to move forward to improve as a photographer. I'm all in on Canon and will likely be for many years, being a bit of a gear nerd this is a great place to be. There are enough forums where language is rude and most posts are only aimed at stepping on other people. Thanks for a great forum and keep up the good work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:10 AM »