April 17, 2014, 08:59:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)  (Read 16179 times)

ThomasBx

Hi !
Sorry, my english isn't very good  ;)
I have a problem with Af MA on my 1DX.
I respects the manual procedure for the MA settings but if I turn off the camera and turn on, the settings are cleared, reset to 0...
For exemple, with the EF 16-35 f2.8L II, in the first setting, the LCD screen displays [00] EF 16-35, I adjust W and T, I "wrote" the serial number (because the camera doesn't recognize the serial number) and it's OK.
I turn off the camera and turn on (lens always mounted on the camera)
And, in the first setting Af MA menu, the W and T values are 0 !
If I go in the sub menu with the INFO touch, my camera displays [01] EF 16-35...

The problem is identical with my EF 24-105 f4 L, EF 50, EF 70-200 f2.8 II and EF 40 f2.8 STM.
I specified my lens are not old. Purchased this year.
The CR2025 battery seems to work because hour/minutes/day are OK.

I have also a 5D Mark III and the Af MA works perfectly.
I have 2 friends who have a 1Dx et they don'have problem with Af MA.

I wrote to CPS today, this morning. I'm waiting a response.

Do you have same problems on your 1Dx ?
Thanks a lot for your help.

From moderator:  for workaround, see THIS POST.

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1DX - AF Micro Adjustment reset when I turn off the camera
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
All I can offer is to make sure you are saving the settings.  I had that issue with my 5D MK III until I remembered to save them.

ThomasBx

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:35:37 AM »
I don't see a "save function" for micro-adjustment...
I do the same procedure in my 5D3, I don't save anything with a save function. I go back to MENU and it's OK, the settings are saving.
In my 1DX, I also noticed that the standby camera after 1 minute, reset to 0 the Af MA, as when I turn off the camera. It's very very strange.

Nobody has found this problem on his camera ???

AlbertaCanonShooter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
I'm not having that problem, mine are staying as expected.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
Nobody has found this problem on his camera?

Problems like this almost always amount to user error.  Read the manual.   :P   

In fact, I'm having the same problem.  I'm pretty confident in saying it's not user error.   ::) 

When When Adjust by Lens is selected, powering off then on resets the setting (or W/T settings for a zoom lens) to zero, and also clears out a manually entered lens serial number.  If I set it to All by Same Amount, the setting entered is retained...but, powering off actually changes the setting to Adjust by Lens, which is zeroed out.  Even setting it to Disable and power cycling results in it being set to Adjust by Lens.

The same reversions occur if the camera goes into standby mode - when it's woken up, the AFMA setting, regardless of where it was left, reverts to Adjust by Lens with the previously set value(s) zeroed out. 

This occurs with several lenses (zooms and primes), and occurs in any mode (standard modes as well as the C1-C3 user settings).

I called Canon Tech Support, who had no information on the issue, but the tech rep indicated that he tried it on a 1D X and it didn't display that behavior.   

I expect a forthcoming firmware update which, "Addresses an intermittent issue that..."  I can't see how it can be anything but a firmware issue, and I would bet it's a bug triggered by other settings (e.g., people who enabled the C2 and C3 settings before applying AFMA see the problem, or some other odd combination. 

Mine has Firmware Version 1.0.2 - I wonder if there are cameras with different firmware versions in the wild?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
I'm not having that problem, mine are staying as expected.

Can you let me know if your 1D X has the same firmware as mine (v.1.0.2).  Thanks!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
Chatted with B&H on the issue.  When inquiring about exchanging the camera, the response was: "Actually, it would be considered as a new order, since there are other orders in front of you, so it'd be the back of the queue...I can tell you that there are hundreds of backorders for this camera..."

On the bright side, he did indicate that, "We were also told by Canon that a firmware update should be released shortly to address this situation."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
... On the bright side, he did indicate that, "We were also told by Canon that a firmware update should be released shortly to address this situation."

Looks like a firmware issue. Did you check AI-Servo tracking according to this reports?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
Chatted with B&H on the issue.  When inquiring about exchanging the camera, the response was: "Actually, it would be considered as a new order, since there are other orders in front of you, so it'd be the back of the queue...I can tell you that there are hundreds of backorders for this camera..."

On the bright side, he did indicate that, "We were also told by Canon that a firmware update should be released shortly to address this situation."
Amazing that all of the beta testers did not find this, since the first thing many of us do is to Microadjust the lenses.

ThomasBx

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »
Nobody has found this problem on his camera?

Problems like this almost always amount to user error.  Read the manual.   :P   

In fact, I'm having the same problem.  I'm pretty confident in saying it's not user error.   ::) 

When When Adjust by Lens is selected, powering off then on resets the setting (or W/T settings for a zoom lens) to zero, and also clears out a manually entered lens serial number.  If I set it to All by Same Amount, the setting entered is retained...but, powering off actually changes the setting to Adjust by Lens, which is zeroed out.  Even setting it to Disable and power cycling results in it being set to Adjust by Lens.

The same reversions occur if the camera goes into standby mode - when it's woken up, the AFMA setting, regardless of where it was left, reverts to Adjust by Lens with the previously set value(s) zeroed out. 

This occurs with several lenses (zooms and primes), and occurs in any mode (standard modes as well as the C1-C3 user settings).

I called Canon Tech Support, who had no information on the issue, but the tech rep indicated that he tried it on a 1D X and it didn't display that behavior.   

I expect a forthcoming firmware update which, "Addresses an intermittent issue that..."  I can't see how it can be anything but a firmware issue, and I would bet it's a bug triggered by other settings (e.g., people who enabled the C2 and C3 settings before applying AFMA see the problem, or some other odd combination. 

Mine has Firmware Version 1.0.2 - I wonder if there are cameras with different firmware versions in the wild?

Yes, I'm not alone  ;)
At the beginning, everyone here thought I was crazy  ;D

Mine has firmware Version 1.0.2 too.
I spoke with CPS rep at phone : technical service deals with the problem.
He phone me at the end of the week because next week he start to London Olympics Games.

@ Neuroanatomist : it has nothing to do with the C2 and C3 settings because I have not yet set C2 and C3 but only C1.

A friend has a 1Dx with firmware 1.0.2 and its settings MA Af works perfectly and remain in memory.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:03:16 PM by ThomasBx »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
... On the bright side, he did indicate that, "We were also told by Canon that a firmware update should be released shortly to address this situation."

Looks like a firmware issue. Did you check AI-Servo tracking according to this reports?

I did, and I don't seem to be having that issue...  On the whole, I'd rather have the AFMA problem than the AI Servo misfocus problem...  :o

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »
Ok, the plot thickens...

When posting a screenshot in the AI Servo issue thread, showing that I apparently don't have that issue, I looked more closely at the EXIF window, and noticed it shows an AF Microadjustment of 2.  Now, I know I powered the camera off and on after applying that adjustment initially, and I also know it went to standby several times...based on the above, that should have zeroed out the AFMA values. 

When I first entered an AFMA in for my 40/2.8 pancake lens, I entered -2.  Right now, it shows 0 as described above.  If I go in and set it to +15, it shows +15 until I power it off, then 0 after powering it back on.  But...when I look at the EXIF in DPP for images shot at +15 before power cycling and 0 after power cycling, they all show an adjustment of -2, the value I entered initially.  The 70-200 II is doing the same thing - the values I initially entered (+3 wide and +2 tele) are applied to all the RAW images, regardless of the value showing on the camera.

So...it appears that either something changed after applying the AFMA values for the 40/2.8 and 70-200 II (the only lenses I've adjusted so far, which I did this past Friday morning), or the first AMFA value applied sticks, no matter what you do (including Clear All in the AFMA menu, which I tried earlier today). 

If the latter is the case (which I can verify by mounting a lens not previuosly used with the 1D X and applying an adjustment), it seems I have a strong incentive to get it right the first time...   :o
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:44:06 PM by neuroanatomist »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
Ok, the plot thickens...

When posting a screenshot in the AI Servo issue thread, showing that I apparently don't have that issue, I looked more closely at the EXIF window, and noticed it shows an AF Microadjustment of 2.  Now, I know I powered the camera off and on after applying that adjustment initially, and I also know it went to standby several times...based on the above, that should have zeroed out the AFMA values. 

When I first entered an AFMA in for my 40/2.8 pancake lens, I entered -2.  Right now, it shows 0 as described above.  If I go in and set it to +15, it shows +15 until I power it off, then 0 after powering it back on.  But...when I look at the EXIF in DPP for images shot at +15 before power cycling and 0 after power cycling, they all show an adjustment of -2, the value I entered initially.  The 70-200 II is doing the same thing - the values I initially entered (+3 wide and +2 tele) are applied to all the RAW images, regardless of the value showing on the camera.

So...it appears that either something changed after applying the AFMA values for the 40/2.8 and 70-200 II (the only lenses I've adjusted so far, which I did this past Friday morning), or the first AMFA value applied sticks, no matter what you do (including Clear All in the AFMA menu, which I tried earlier today). 

If the latter is the case (which I can verify by mounting a lens not previuosly used with the 1D X and applying an adjustment), it seems I have a strong incentive to get it right the first time...   :o
I'm happy that I held off on ordering one.  Its certainly a great camera, but there are a few things to work out, and I have three DSLR's that work perfectly now.
I will be interested in any Canon mirrorless, and planned to order one, but I'm beginning to wonder if thats a good idea.  All the camera manufacturers seem to be overwhelmed with issues in their new bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.  On Thursday afternoon of last week, I took all of my test shots with the 40/2.8 at a range of AFMA values.  Then early Friday morning, I did the same thing with the 70-200 II.  After both of those sessions, I returned each lens' setting to zero, then powered off the camera.  Later Friday morning, I reviewed all of those images, and only then did I dial in the adjustments that seem to have stuck and now cannot be altered.

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.  On Thursday afternoon of last week, I took all of my test shots with the 40/2.8 at a range of AFMA values.  Then early Friday morning, I did the same thing with the 70-200 II.  After both of those sessions, I returned each lens' setting to zero, then powered off the camera.  Later Friday morning, I reviewed all of those images, and only then did I dial in the adjustments that seem to have stuck and now cannot be altered.

May it be shutter button half press that saves the setting?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »