December 17, 2014, 06:32:11 PM

Author Topic: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)  (Read 19729 times)

ThomasBx

Re: Canon 1DX - AF Micro Adjustment reset when I turn off the camera
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »

[/quote]

May it be shutter button half press that saves the setting?
[/quote]

No, I already tried... :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »

ThomasBx

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.  On Thursday afternoon of last week, I took all of my test shots with the 40/2.8 at a range of AFMA values.  Then early Friday morning, I did the same thing with the 70-200 II.  After both of those sessions, I returned each lens' setting to zero, then powered off the camera.  Later Friday morning, I reviewed all of those images, and only then did I dial in the adjustments that seem to have stuck and now cannot be altered.

I had this problem also...
The only solution found is to pul all the settings at 0 to not do stupid things and take shots with a big back/front focus  ;D

ExhibitA

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
This problem was driving me batty for a few days.

Canon tech support was not able to provide any helpful information during our extended email correspondence.

In frustration, I just started trying all the various settings. I tried "clear all" in "Adjust by lens", then backed out of the menu and shut the camera down. Then I went into "All by same amount" set a value, backed out of the menu and shut the camera down. Then I went into "All by same amount" hit "clear all", backed out the menu and shut the camera down. Then I tried "Disable", backed out and shut the camera down. Finally I went back to "Adjust by lens", tried a different lens first (24L II instead of 300 2.8 II) and it worked. The camera is now accepting the values I enter for various lenses. (I am entering the serial number first, then setting the value.)

Without a specific fix, I'm afraid it's not really helpful in allowing you to solve the problem. My frantic button pushing experience does show, however, that there is some way of getting the camera to accept and retain individual lens values.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.  On Thursday afternoon of last week, I took all of my test shots with the 40/2.8 at a range of AFMA values.  Then early Friday morning, I did the same thing with the 70-200 II.  After both of those sessions, I returned each lens' setting to zero, then powered off the camera.  Later Friday morning, I reviewed all of those images, and only then did I dial in the adjustments that seem to have stuck and now cannot be altered.

Very strange.  Only thing I can think of trying is to use the "Clear all camera settings" option.  Then, without changing any other settings, set the AFMA on one lens and see if it saves it and lets you change it.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
So...I also posted this issue over at TDP, and user Trowski suggested a workaround that does the trick:

Quote from: Trowski
Enter an AFMA for an older lens (one without the serial number on the chip, like the 70-200 II), then power off the camera. Turn it back on, and the AFMA menu should show zero and the serial number will be zeroed out (though if you take a photo I'm willing to bet it will still show the adjustment you made). Now without powering off the camera, remove the lens and put it back on (or at least turn it enough so the contacts aren't touching). Go back into the AFMA menu. I'm willing to bet you'll see your adjustment value and the serial number.

Trowski is a genius!  It's kludgy, but it's a workaround.  After doing so, it seems to persist for one power cycle, too.  After doing that with my 70-200 II, I put on my 40/2.8, and it showed the previously set -2 straight off.  Power cycling then zeroed it out again, but just loosening and remounting the lens with the power on brought the correct -2 back.  Also, changing the AFMA then doing the workaround results in the new AFMA being applied, and restored after a repeat of the workaround, as long as you change the AFMA setting right after the lens unmount/remount, when the previous setting is visible.  The new setting also shows up in the EXIF, regardless of whether or not it appears zeroed out on the menu.

Some (including Bryan at TDP) have reported this issue, others say they don't have the problem.  Personally, I always power off the camera before changing lenses - I wonder...if I routinely changed lenses with the camera powered on, would I not have noticed the issue?  As stated above, the value seems to be saved, and recorded in the EXIF, just not displayed on-camera until it's forced to re-recognize the lens.

Sort of a pain, but it'll do until a firmware update comes along...

Thanks again, Trowski!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:16:10 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

trowski

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 03:35:03 AM »
Thanks again, Trowski!

Your welcome Neuroanatomist!

Long time lurker on this forum, but as you can see I haven't posted much. I may have to change that.

It seems that the camera firmware isn't doing the steps necessary to recognize the lens when the camera is initially powered on, but does when you switch lenses while the camera is on. Sounds like a simple firmware bug to me, something that can easily be fixed in an update. In the meantime, once you enter an adjustment, the camera uses the value for a lens of the same model, even though it initially thinks it's a new lens. I can see where this bug could have been overlooked. Most testers probably didn't micro adjust their lenses, and if they did, the value entered is still used when you take a photograph, even it doesn't show up correctly in the AFMA menu.

Does anyone know a good way of reporting this subtle problem to Canon so they can get this fixed in a firmware update?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:22:42 PM by trowski »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Does anyone know a good way of reporting this subtle problem to Canon so they can get this fixed in a firmware update?

FWIW, I emailed Canon tech support yesterday. Heard back from them today with the statement that they could not reproduce the issue on their two 1D X bodies, and asked me to provide the detailed steps I took when trying to set an AFMA.  I chuckled a bit at the implication that I don't know how to set an AFMA (especially given the fact that I've written a tutorial on the subject!).  I replied to the email, and when I got home I took a short video clip documenting the issue, and I've just sent that to Canon as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/7600237574/#secretb2c81b5680

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »

trowski

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »
Great video, but it is somewhat confusing because the adjustment values change when you remount the lens. You're entering +4 and -6 for lens 21. When you remount the lens, it recalls the lens and uses a previously entered set of values (+2 and +6). If you went one menu level deeper, it would show a different lens number.

You might want to clarify that the bug doesn't relate to the camera forgetting the adjustment values for a particular lens, but rather the camera failing to recognize the lens upon power-on or wake as a previously used lens, thus the camera registers a new lens with adjustment values and serial number of zero.

EDIT: I posted the following comment on the video better explaining what I mean.

"Great video John, but I wanted to clarify what is really happening here. Upon power-on or wake, the 1D X is failing to recognize the mounted lens as a previously used lens, thus numbering the lens 21 (in this example) and giving it AFMA values of zero and a serial number of zero. You then enter values of +4 and -6 for lens 21. When you unmount and remount the lens, the camera then recognizes the lens and recalls a previously entered set of AFMA values and serial number. The recalled values are now +2 and +6 because the camera is treating it as a different lens (since it correctly recognized it as a previously used lens). Going one level deeper would have shown a different lens number."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:32:00 AM by trowski »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »
After watching the video, Canon tech support has asked me to send my camera in for service.   >:( >:( >:(

ThomasBx

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
After watching the video, Canon tech support has asked me to send my camera in for service.   >:( >:( >:(

It's a very bad news...  for you and for me too :(
Why Canon did not offer a new camera ???

What will you do ?
Send the camera or wait a new maybe fix firmware ?

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
Does this surprise anyone?  I could have told you there was going to be issues with the first set of batches of cameras.  I'll be getting mine about September/October and hopefully most of the bugs will be gone.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

trowski

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
So I called CPS this morning, thinking maybe I could have some luck with the issue. The lady I spoke with said they were aware of the issue from dealing with Neuro, and that they were not able to duplicate the issue on the three 1D X that they had tested it on. She wanted me to send the camera in so they could examine and document the issue. Since the problem is so subtle, I have a feeling that the problem wasn't conveyed correctly and they didn't test those cameras properly (the camera has to either go to sleep or be power cycled all the way, not just turning off then immediately back on, you have to wait a second since the camera doesn't actually immediately turn off). Otherwise perhaps we just got a bad batch at B&H that has a problem in some component. I'm guessing that Neuro, ThomasBX, Bryan at TDP, and I all got our cameras from the first batch at B&H, is that true? Are there 1D X owners here that really can't reproduce this problem?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:03:32 PM by trowski »

ThomasBx

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm guessing that Neuro, ThomasBX, Bryan at TDP, and I all got our cameras from the first batch at B&H, is that true?

It's not really true because two friends have received their camera 2 weeks before me and they don't have problem with Af MA...
And I have not bought my camera at B&H (because I don't live in NYC)...

Question : Is that the problem would not the lens mount rather than a firmware problem... ??????

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »

trowski

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
It's not really true because two friends have received their camera 2 weeks before me and they don't have problem with Af MA...
And I have not bought my camera at B&H (because I don't live in NYC)...

Question : Is that the problem would not the lens mount rather than a firmware problem... ??????

Are your friends sure they don't have the problem? It's subtle, so it might be easy to miss, since you really have to go look in the menu to see that the value isn't being shown, since the camera still applies the adjustment when taking photos.

Well its interesting to know it wasn't just some cameras from B&H... not sure if that means anything.

If there is a hardware problem, I would think it would be in a chip somewhere, not on the lens mount.

We might just have to wait until there's more 1D X's in the wild so others can either show there is a problem or show that we are truly a minority. If so, then I guess it's off to service to have some components replaced.

Portrait_Moments_Photogra

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
i tested mine, same thing - CANON, we have a PROBLEM!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »